front wheel came off

/ front wheel came off #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
I had quite a scare this weekend with my MF 1428. I was helping a neighbor dig out from the ton of snow we got and the right front wheel buckled and came off. I was pointed in that direction so that wheel had weight on it. The bolts just stripped right out. I was able to jack it up, get new bolts at TSC and get 4 of the six back in got get the tractor back home. I think a contributing factor was that I had the front wheels filled with foam a couple years ago. Doing that added a bunch of weight and I lost a lot of traction. I'm going to have it taken to the shop to have the foam tires cut off the rims & replaced with regular tires again and have them rethread the holes that got striped. Heck, I'm going to have them check everything up front because I bet if this side failed, the other side is weakened too.

The photo shows a couple of the stripped bolts and a new one from TSC just for comparison. I was a heck of a day.

Attachments

• IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    567.4 KB · Views: 341
   / front wheel came off #2  
I had quite a scare this weekend with my MF 1428. I was helping a neighbor dig out from the ton of snow we got and the right front wheel buckled and came off. I was pointed in that direction so that wheel had weight on it. The bolts just stripped right out. I was able to jack it up, get new bolts at TSC and get 4 of the six back in got get the tractor back home. I think a contributing factor was that I had the front wheels filled with foam a couple years ago. Doing that added a bunch of weight and I lost a lot of traction. I'm going to have it taken to the shop to have the foam tires cut off the rims & replaced with regular tires again and have them rethread the holes that got striped. Heck, I'm going to have them check everything up front because I bet if this side failed, the other side is weakened too.

The photo shows a couple of the stripped bolts and a new one from TSC just for comparison. I was a heck of a day.
I am not familiar with your machine at all. I am wondering if the bolts may not have been tightened down when you had the filled tires put on? Does M/F say anything about not filling front tires with your particular machine? There are a lot of tractors out there that have front tires filled that haven't had problems. You could retap the the threads and try longer bolts maybe? Sorry about all of the snow out your way. I wish the snow were landing up here in our mountains for a nice heavy snow pack.

/ front wheel came off #3  
Quote "I'm going to have them check everything up front because I bet if this side failed, the other side is weakened too. "

Not necessary to de-foam, IMHO.

Happened to me without filled tires, and only on rt side as well.
(I guessed that it has something to do with rotation and backing out the bolts)
Was result of inadequate torquing in my estimation--never happened again.
I reasoned that slight movement from bad torque allowed enough movement to actually unscrew the bolts.

I simply installed longer bolts (machine screws) and added nuts on the backside.
Have run that way for over 350 hrs without and problem.

In my case the rim holes elongated so I welded a rienforcement plate properly drilled to match drum holes.

/ front wheel came off
I am wondering if the bolts may not have been tightened down when you had the filled tires put on? Does M/F say anything about not filling front tires with your particular machine? You could retap the the threads and try longer bolts maybe? Sorry about all of the snow out your way. I wish the snow were landing up here in our mountains for a nice heavy snow pack.

I love the snow but the amount we got was almost too much for my tractor & rear blade.

After 4 years of using the tractor, I had it up at the dealer for a complete inspection over Christmas. They may not have tighten the wheel enough but I'll never really know. I used the tractor for about 6 hours when the wheel came off.

I filled the fronts with foam because I operate on fairly steep hills and wanted more weight. After filling with foam, I lost a lot of traction. Had I known just how much traction I was going to lose, I would have gone for fluid instead. I never checked to see if it was recommend or not. I assume they'll all recommend front weights instead of filling tires.

My dealer didn't install the foam, I found a local shop that did it.

I'm going to send it back to the dealer to have them retapped. I don't have taps and really want them to be done right.

While it's there, I may even ask about what he'll give me on a trade to a 35hp :)

/ front wheel came off
Happened to me without filled tires, and only on rt side as well.
(I guessed that it has something to do with rotation and backing out the bolts)
Was result of inadequate torquing in my estimation--never happened again.
I reasoned that slight movement from bad torque allowed enough movement to actually unscrew the bolts.

I simply installed longer bolts (machine screws) and added nuts on the backside.
Have run that way for over 350 hrs without and problem.

Very interesting. I was thinking that adding bolts was a good idea too.

I just got it back from the dealer and have a suspicion but I'll never be able to prove anything. Maybe this is a good time to buy a set of taps and DIY.

/ front wheel came off #6  
I love the snow but the amount we got was almost too much for my tractor & rear blade.

After 4 years of using the tractor, I had it up at the dealer for a complete inspection over Christmas. They may not have tighten the wheel enough but I'll never really know. I used the tractor for about 6 hours when the wheel came off.

I filled the fronts with foam because I operate on fairly steep hills and wanted more weight. After filling with foam, I lost a lot of traction. Had I known just how much traction I was going to lose, I would have gone for fluid instead. I never checked to see if it was recommend or not. I assume they'll all recommend front weights instead of filling tires.

My dealer didn't install the foam, I found a local shop that did it.

I'm going to send it back to the dealer to have them retapped. I don't have taps and really want them to be done right.

While it's there, I may even ask about what he'll give me on a trade to a 35hp :)
I am not clear on how you could have lost traction with filling the fronts. That is the reason for filling with foam or fluid is to gain traction. I had the fronts filled with foam on mine and it added about 168 lbs each I think. I have to be careful because with the tread it leaves marks in the lawn. If you go back to that dealer and talk with them about trading up see if they are willing to fix the threads in the hubs for you. It really sounds like that tire worked itself loose from driving.
I was just looking at another thread on here about all of the snow you folks are having.. Looks like us last year. We had about 25" in a couple of days. I shoveled a lot of snow by hand last year at my Dad's place. So I went out and bought a 72" rear blade to move snow.. NO SNOW this year to try it out on.:cool:
Edit. You said you were going to go to the dealer for retap of the threads. Sorry I should have read your reply closer.

/ front wheel came off #7  
1. I bet loss of traction is due to foam keeping the tire round, instead of letting the part in contact with the ground flatten out to produce a "footprint".

2. Before you tell the dealer to "cut the old tires off" check on the cost of new rims, or new mounted tires. It might be less costly to just replace the old rims than to jack around with them.

/ front wheel came off #8  
Hello
I have to agree with K7LN the bolts should be at least grade 5 but 8 would be better. And it does seem odd that there is a lock washer instead of a cone on the shoulder.
If it turns out the bolts are wrong, I would be having a talk with someone.

/ front wheel came off
The bolts that came off were 7s and I bought 8s at TSC. The dealer said he can't do anything until sometime next week. I'm off to buy a metric tap set and longer bolts that I'll attach with nuts.

/ front wheel came off #10  
is the part that stripped in the hub? or did the bolt threads deform?

soundguy