Anyone Watching The Olympics?

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #11  
....The speed skating short track is pretty cool to.....

Did any of you stay up and watch the short track mens' relays last night? Man, 20 guys on the ice in close proximity going fast on 18" long razor blades!!! :eek: If that ain't an adrenalin rush, I don't know what is.:D

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #12  
Did any of you stay up and watch the short track mens' relays last night? Man, 20 guys on the ice in close proximity going fast on 18" long razor blades!!! :eek: If that ain't an adrenalin rush, I don't know what is.:D

Herding cats would be my name for that event.:rolleyes: How they keep it straight and know what to do is beyond me. I love the excitement, but I couldn't help but think of a bunch of Shriner clowns on little motorcycles doing their routine.:)

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #13  
I've been watch. Shaun White was unbelievable in the half pipe. I wish they would show more of the events and less of the fillers.

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #14  
I enjoy most of the games, wow first to watch winter olympics in high def. Love the skiing and snowboarding especially, and speed skating too. Is it me, or some of the men skaters looking really feminine what with their frilly attire and mannerisms?

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #15  
The thing which has made me laugh the most is when NBC runs a commercial for a TV show and says "Right after the Olympics!" and I get up at 4:30 and the Olympics are still on. They must be pre-empting the 5:00am news for the show.

I did really enjoy watching the women's downhill. I like watching short track speed skating as well since Apolo lives about 20 miles from us.

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #16  
I DVR and skip the commercials and all of the commentary and background hoopla. I watch 4 hours in about 1 hour, sometimes less if the events aren't very interesting.

I hate watching live tv, but have trouble hitting the pause button some times for bathroom breaks when DVRing!

Same here, but there aren't 3 hours of commercials per 4 hours. Anyway it makes watching the Olympics enjoyable. You just have to make sure that you don't watch any news to spoil the endings.

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #17  
Is it me, or some of the men skaters looking really feminine what with their frilly attire and mannerisms?

When Kathy saw Johnny Weir in his pink lace-up outfit for the short program, her response was, "You gotta be kidding!" Last night when he was waiting for his score with his rose garland around his head and a bouquet of roses in his hand, she just said, "This is so embarrassing!" He's an excellent skater, but his mannerisms and dress really throw me for a loop. From the many restrained comments about him by the commentators, you have to believe that he is pretty outrageous all the time. "Free spirit" is the term that I hear most.:rolleyes:

I liked the Japanese skaters last night. I felt sorry for Oda when he fell and his shoelace broke. Oda and Takahashi had two of the most entertaining programs. They were really fun to watch.

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #18  
Is it me, or some of the men skaters looking really feminine what with their frilly attire and mannerisms?

It must be you Alan :D

Times change and people become more open about their 'free spirits' as Jim said. Personally, I am split between Kathy's embarassment and the academic knowledge that 'free spirits' have always been there, just in hiding, even within the NFL. So, I guess it is the open expression of 'spirit' that is new and can make folks a bit uncomfortable.

Think of programs like 'So You Think You Can Dance'. Another highly athletic and artistic activity.

I'm for tolerance.
Dave.

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #19  
I love sports and have been watch any event that is on. The dedication and skill of even the last place finisher is something to be respected.
Last night among other events I enjoyed watching an inspired performance by the Swiss hockey team. Hiller was amazing in net and the entire game was fun to watch.
My heart sank in the shootout when the Swiss players were booed by a vocal minority. What is wrong with some people?
Thankfully fans cheering the game did mostly drown out the morons. I'm not sure if I will watch any more hockey involving our team.

/ Anyone Watching The Olympics? #20  
My heart sank in the shootout when the Swiss players were booed by a vocal minority. What is wrong with some people?
Thankfully fans cheering the game did mostly drown out the morons. I'm not sure if I will watch any more hockey involving our team.

Watching hockey in the winter olympics is like watching basketball during the summer olympics in my opinion. The players are mostly pros that come together under the banner of olympic sports. You have to consider that their skin is a little thicker than raw amateurs. Even so, I don't think booing is in a true olympic spirit. I'm sure that Canadians feel like they own the sport of hockey just like we in the USA believe we own the sport of baseball. There are some who will not reflect true sportsmanship because they react the same way they do watching professional games. The majority will cheer for their team but honor the opponents. Hopefully, the boo-birds will be drowned out.