which chains and binders should i use?

/ which chains and binders should i use? #41  
LOL, perhaps I should have a camera rolling to catch the severe beating and tasering I'll likely receive.

If they are bored and you show up with all those infractions they might find it necessary to throw the book at you and write all those tickets so the town will prosper when you pay them:laughing:..Just kidding. Let us know how you make out..

/ which chains and binders should i use? #42  
I tow many many miles every year. Here is what I have learned. Keep you rig, trailer, and tie downs in good shape and they will leave you alone. If you are doing something illegal or look like you are you will get caught. I very rarely use chains, mainly straps, and just blow by them. Landscapers and contractors with junk trucks and trailers will get stopped all day.

Use what you feel comfortable with and in the scope of the law. Keep your trailer in good shape along with your rig and you have won 95% of the battle.

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #43  
I tow many many miles every year. Here is what I have learned. Keep you rig, trailer, and tie downs in good shape and they will leave you alone. If you are doing something illegal or look like you are you will get caught. I very rarely use chains, mainly straps, and just blow by them. Landscapers and contractors with junk trucks and trailers will get stopped all day.

Use what you feel comfortable with and in the scope of the law. Keep your trailer in good shape along with your rig and you have won 95% of the battle.

Chris
Also keep an eye on your speed. Someone pulling a large trailer doing 10 mph over the limit does, and should make a good target.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #44  
Or worse... Calif has a 55mph towing limit. Big rig, or SUV hauling a 1000lb trailer. Most highways have a 65mph speed limit, with some Interstates having areas of 70mph speed limit. But, add a trailer, and it's 55mph...

So you have to go slow, even if the rest of traffic can go 10 or 15mph faster.

Also keep an eye on your speed. Someone pulling a large trailer doing 10 mph over the limit does, and should make a good target.

/ which chains and binders should i use?
OK i just bought the 5\16 g70 20 footer from lowes this past saturday for $36 and had them cut in half but went to get a g70 hooks and they did not have any just g40 hooks will g40 hooks be ok?I went to tractor supply and they only had g40 hooks...g40 hooks be ok?

/ which chains and binders should i use? #46  
I don't think G40 hooks are DOT approved but you should call Dept of transportation to make sure

/ which chains and binders should i use? #47  
The chain is rated at 5,400# so you will need a hook that meets or exceeds that. I would not think a G40 hook in 5/16 would be that strong. Not really sure though. Try looking on the net for a chart showing hook strength. You may have to take them back and order some.

To be honest you really only need a hook on 1 end if you are using four binders. Just hook the chain to the tractor and the binder to the trailer and cinch it up instead of the common chain to trailer and tractor and binder in the middle.

Chris

/ which chains and binders should i use? #49  
OK i just bought the 5\16 g70 20 footer from lowes this past saturday for $36 and had them cut in half but went to get a g70 hooks and they did not have any just g40 hooks will g40 hooks be ok?I went to tractor supply and they only had g40 hooks...g40 hooks be ok?

Chains used for tie downs must conform to the "National Association of Chain Manufacturers Welded Steel Chain Specifications" and have the appropriate WLL limits required for the load being hauled. Any chain used for tie down should be marked with it's WLL for easy identification, if it is not then a minimum is assumed and in the case of chains that I believe would be a Grade 30 chain which has about less than half the WLL as an equivalent sized G70 chain. At the present time unmarked chains are allowed without your vehicle being taken out of service but you will receive a warning. Come Jan 1,2011 all tie-down WLL's have to listed by the manufacturer or your journey will be interrupted somewhat.

So if your G40 hook is stamped with the above spec then it should be in full compliance for use as a component in a tie down assembly. If it is also stamped with it's grade then it's full associated WLL (3900 lbs.) can be used. When attached to your G70 chain (WLL of 5400 lbs.) your chain assembly can now only be rated at the lower WLL of the grade 40 hook at 3900 lbs. Though I doubt this would be perceived as an appropriate method by DOT inspectors and would probably raise a red flag for a far more thorough inspection I can't find anything in the standards which precludes that particular chain setup being used legally.

/ which chains and binders should i use? #50  
I just happened to be in Lowes this weekend and was looking their chains over. I thought about this thread and made a point to look. The 20' chains were priced as most have said and also found that the only 5/16" hooks were only rated for #3900. I looked all around and found no others. I'm not really in the market for any but was just checking. Chris is right this is an economical way to go when buying this size of chain.