Starting Procedure

/ Starting Procedure #31  
Mmmmm, I think starting at half throttle and warming up at half throttle are two different things. Starting at half throttle will dump more fuel into the cylinders for a quicker start, but I certainly would not warm up a cold engine at half throttle. Off idle, at the smooth sweet spot for my BX warm up.

/ Starting Procedure #32  
Mmmmm, I think starting at half throttle and warming up at half throttle are two different things. Starting at half throttle will dump more fuel into the cylinders for a quicker start, but I certainly would not warm up a cold engine at half throttle.

Exactly how I was understanding this. Why would you run a diesel at half throttle to warm up? I could see half throttle upon initial ignition, but after that, cut it back to a "comfortable" idle. After all, they have a low top-end speed for a reason.:thumbsup:

/ Starting Procedure #33  
Here is something interesting. In my Dodge Cummins diesel, when started in cold weather it will idle a bit and then go up to high idle until it is warmed up. Why does it do that? It does it to build up heat ensuring complete combustion making the engine warm up quicker and be more efficient.
Unless a diesel engine is working and building heat you are going to get cylinder washdown and scoring after extended periods of low idle.
Kubota is a leading expert in small diesel engines and they know how to make them run good and last, I do not think they would mislead you.

David Kb7uns

/ Starting Procedure
So, the answer is definitive and clear now. Start at half throttle with the throttle lever in the idle position. From there idle to the sweet spot keeping the rpm's up while not exceeding 1300 or so. At which point do I click my heels, and is it spin to the right or left?:confused: I really appreciate all of the info, and like a lot of questions, this one does not have a definitive answer. I guess the default would be to perhaps create a hybrid starting method. How's this sound....Start at half throttle, at start up idle back to the 1300 sweet spot. Warm up at that rpm. I know i'm making more of this than I need to, but it's made for a fun thread. Thanks for all the input!!!:thumbsup:

/ Starting Procedure #35  
So, the answer is definitive and clear now. Start at half throttle with the throttle lever in the idle position. From there idle to the sweet spot keeping the rpm's up while not exceeding 1300 or so. At which point do I click my heels, and is it spin to the right or left?:confused: I really appreciate all of the info, and like a lot of questions, this one does not have a definitive answer. I guess the default would be to perhaps create a hybrid starting method. How's this sound....Start at half throttle, at start up idle back to the 1300 sweet spot. Warm up at that rpm. I know i'm making more of this than I need to, but it's made for a fun thread. Thanks for all the input!!!:thumbsup:

I think in the end it is who has more credibility, an international company that designs and manufactures millions of diesel engines or someone who has owned a couple of tractors and/or a pickup and his "daddy" told him how it's done.

/ Starting Procedure #36  
I think in the end it is who has more credibility, an international company that designs and manufactures millions of diesel engines or someone who has owned a couple of tractors and/or a pickup and his "daddy" told him how it's done.

Now you know how almost every one is going to go on that one, almost no contest.:) And they are going to keep spending an extra $50 at that 50 hour transmission fluid change. If you love your machine you'll spend more money and prove it. I do have a bit of a nagging concern though of if in fact that is the logic, why don't they do it at 25 hours instead of the made up number of 50? A true lover will do it every 50 to 100 hours and maybe more often. Disclaimer: I start mine in idle and raise it to smooth, I do not go to half throttle of 1500 but smooth on mine is 1000 to 1200 so I guess I'm not to far off from company recommendation. And what do they know about it anyway, their dad's and granddads probably didn't even own a tractor.:)

/ Starting Procedure #37  
The owners manual for my 3200 says the same half throttle startup procedure. It also says not to do the first change of the transmission fluid until 400 hours.

Russ

/ Starting Procedure #38  
Woah!! Those Kubota engineers and manual printers! I thought I was running mine at about 1000 to 1200 warm up. Just worked my BX2660 which starts at idle at 1400 and smooths out at 1450-1500 and my BX 25 starts at 1400 and smooths out at about 1450-1500. They don't seem to be running fast or loud at those rpms. I thought they were running around 1000 from sound and vibration or lack of sound or vibration. Could they possibly know what they are talking about??? I thought I remembered my other Botas starting at around 700-900 and smoothing out at around 1000-1200. Maybe the others did but not my one year old BX2660 and one month old BX25. Is it possible that things can change over time? Could there possibly be new methods for machines? Can't they just keep everything like it was in the 60"s, maybe 30's or even 70's so we can finally figure out that we've now learned how something is to be fixed, ran, operated so we can tell our Grandchildren how it is? Not!:)

/ Starting Procedure #39  
Woah!! Those Kubota engineers and manual printers! I thought I was running mine at about 1000 to 1200 warm up. Just worked my BX2660 which starts at idle at 1400 and smooths out at 1450-1500 and my BX 25 starts at 1400 and smooths out at about 1450-1500. They don't seem to be running fast or loud at those rpms. I thought they were running around 1000 from sound and vibration or lack of sound or vibration. Could they possibly know what they are talking about??? I thought I remembered my other Botas starting at around 700-900 and smoothing out at around 1000-1200. Maybe the others did but not my one year old BX2660 and one month old BX25. Is it possible that things can change over time? Could there possibly be new methods for machines? Can't they just keep everything like it was in the 60"s, maybe 30's or even 70's so we can finally figure out that we've now learned how something is to be fixed, ran, operated so we can tell our Grandchildren how it is? Not!:)

The "feel" is pretty misleading on my 2660 and 5030 both. These things top out at a little over 3000, so half throttle or 1500 really isn't running it all that hard in my opinion. I really fail to see the reason for concern, but who knows.

/ Starting Procedure #40  
I want to know the honey in the freezer results. Well what happened.