Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy?

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #11  
As I understand it, the whole reason for introducing the turbos was to meet the EPA standards, NOT to improve tractor performance.

They only add ONE horsepower to the Kubota specs. Not worth it, IMO. More cost and you have the hassle of the "waiting to shut it down". If I had my choice, I'd go non turbo. Not saying it's a big deal, but why add complications and more contraptions to go wrong?

Ken

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #12  
As I understand it, the whole reason for introducing the turbos was to meet the EPA standards, NOT to improve tractor performance.

They only add ONE horsepower to the Kubota specs. Not worth it, IMO. More cost and you have the hassle of the "waiting to shut it down". If I had my choice, I'd go non turbo. Not saying it's a big deal, but why add complications and more contraptions to go wrong?

Ken

Turbos have been around alot longer then EPA standards.

Also letting the turbo cool is a non issue 99% of the time. Unless you work the tractor right up until the time you shut it off it will have already cooled enough to shut it down.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #13  

Ken

Turbos have a lot more history than the EPA. As for emissions they may reduce the soot but not anything else. As for adding HP they will add minimal HP unless the fuel is adjusted, otherwise they make the engine more efficient for a specific fuel setting. Complication??? no more than a steering wheel adds complication. :confused:

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #14  
My present tractor is turbo-charged, the previous one wasn't. In my experience, the turbo doesn't require any special precautions when starting or stopping the engine. You can forget about it completely. It brings more HP (5 on my JD 3520) as well as higher torque without adding weight.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #15  
I think it's safe to say that turbo's are highly reliable nowadays.

In automotive applications, turbos used to get a bad rap for decreasing engine life and turbo "lag"...the time between when the pedal is pressed to when the turbo responds with additional power. Over the years, they've figured out how to reduce the lag with newer turbo designs (variable vane turbos, computer controlled wastegates, etc.)

On a diesel tractor engine, which will generally be operated at a higher, constant RPM (and is not required to provide the "responsive" acceleration of a car or truck) turbo lag is a non-issue.

Turbos are really quite simple...and ingenious. They use the energy of the exhaust gas (that would otherwise be expelled as waste through the exhaust system) to spin a small fan pump (the turbocharger)...which in turn powers a compressor...which compresses air and pumps this compressed (higher density) air back into the engine's intake manifold...which allows the engine to get more air and produce more power.

They basically take free, unused energy (the exhaust gas) and recycle it...but the result is way more power than the engine can make without a turbocharger. In automotive applications, a given engine can easily make 30-40-50% more power with a turbocharger.

Yes, a turbocharged engine will carry a higher maintenance cost...it is more complex...but in my opinion, the pros (increased power and efficiency) outweight the cons (maintenance).

I would buy the tractor you like and not worry about it.

-Mark

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #16  
One of the biggest deciding factors for me to go turbo was the loss of power at my elevation on a non turbo engine.

Living at at 6000' drops power on a non turbo engine considerably.

E/S

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #17  
One of the biggest deciding factors for me to go turbo was the loss of power at my elevation on a non turbo engine.

Living at at 6000' drops power on a non turbo engine considerably.

E/S
Yeah, the turbo just spins a bit faster to make up for it.:thumbsup:
larry

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #18  
We have turbos on most of our firetrucks and ambulances. They get worked very hard without any problems.

/ Turbo Charged Engines - Avoid or Buy? #19  
We have turbos on most of our firetrucks and ambulances. They get worked very hard without any problems.

Our fire trucks had superchargers (blowers). Quite different than turbos.