Diesel pickup mileage

/ Diesel pickup mileage #11  
My 03 HO Cummins is stock. It's a 6 speed, 4x4, 4dr dually with mud grips all the way around and a full ranch hand front bumper. This truck is heavy.

I average 17 -18mpg at 70 with the A/C on. The best I ever got was over 20 and this was hand calculated. This was on a vacation trip.

I do average 13.5 pulling a gooseneck cattle trailer with quite a few head of cattle in it. My old 12 valve Cummins got an easy 20mpg on the highway. What has hurt my mileage more than anything is the weed killer that passes for ULSD fuel.

Last edited:
   / Diesel pickup mileage #12  
On a 04 f250 with 6.0 psd.. highway driving, pulling an unloaded 2000# trailer, I was able to make 19mpg.

soundguy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #13  
04 6.0 F250, I get 15.5 avg per tank, mix of highway/town no towing. Stock truck. Can get better if I can stick 55 mph.

04' Dodge Quad 4x4 AT ... average 15 ... mostly Farm use trailers and the such.

/ Diesel pickup mileage #14  
fogot to add.. 4x4 and no chips on mine.

quad cab, short bed. ( 8' )

3.73 gears, auto

soundguy

Last edited:
   / Diesel pickup mileage #15  
Well to add to this thread some what do you call daily driving? If you live in Houston your daily habits are different than a guy who lives in a small town like I do 45 miles away from any other towns of any size. I can drive to work, 17 miles one way with only 4 stop signs and 3 stop lights. This is my normal route. I can take a slightly longer route that has 3 stop signs and 1 stop light. If I time the lights right I can usually go though 3 without stopping.

Now like mentioned before I average 17ish in both our 04 F-250 and our 06 F-350 SRW. Both 4x4 with chips, intake and exhaust. It will do 23 on the highway between my home and the in-laws (about 260 miles round trip verified over 10 times). My 05 Dmax 3500 SRW 4x4 averaged 14.5 when it ran and 21ish on the highway with no mods. My 08 Nissan Titan gets 14 doing the same route. It will only do 15 on the highway.

Chris

Come on Chris...Is it really necessary to throw an un-necessary, out of context anti-GM diatribe on virtually every post...You got a lemon it appears. Happens to every brand at one time or another, and that includes the imports. I used to work in the service department of an import dealer and I saw them coming in on the hook daily, just like all other brands.

I'm pro GM, always have been and always will be. But I refuse to trash other brands. If there weren't die hard followers of GM, Dodge and Ford, they'd have been gone years ago (economic, management and labor issues aside). I see tons of new Dodges, Fords, Chevy's and GMC's everywhere around here, so there's room in the market for everyone without brand bashing.

I have never had a problem with a GM truck since my '83 Blazer. Once the racing tranny guy figured out GM's mistake on the 700R4, that one was golden too. Lighten up a little.;)

/ Diesel pickup mileage #16  
I had two GMC's and I did say HAD because I never got 12mpg empty. One was an 04 SRW, the other a 05 dually.

/ Diesel pickup mileage #17  
I think I missed something.. or you are *looking* to find fault in chris's posts?

soundguy

Come on Chris...Is it really necessary to throw an un-necessary, out of context anti-GM diatribe on virtually every post...You got a lemon it appears. Happens to every brand at one time or another, and that includes the imports. I used to work in the service department of an import dealer and I saw them coming in on the hook daily, just like all other brands.

I'm pro GM, always have been and always will be. But I refuse to trash other brands. If there weren't die hard followers of GM, Dodge and Ford, they'd have been gone years ago (economic, management and labor issues aside). I see tons of new Dodges, Fords, Chevy's and GMC's everywhere around here, so there's room in the market for everyone without brand bashing.

I have never had a problem with a GM truck since my '83 Blazer. Once the racing tranny guy figured out GM's mistake on the 700R4, that one was golden too. Lighten up a little.;)

/ Diesel pickup mileage #18  
I had two GMC's and I did say HAD because I never got 12mpg empty. One was an 04 SRW, the other a 05 dually.

I'm fairly anti gm.. have just had bad luck with them

like dodge and ford... never owned a full size import.. so no opinion there.

soudnguy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #19  
My work truck is a '01 dodge ext cab 3/4 ton w/ utilty body and wieghs 9800#. It gets a consistent 18 on the highway, but this truck was abused before I got it and it has 226000 miles. We have an identical twin of it and it has 160000 miles and gets 18 pulling a 4000# trailer w/7500# skid steer and forks, bucket, auger and backhoe attachment. 4x4 and same body w/ a chip.
:thumbsup:

/ Diesel pickup mileage #20  
08 Dodge 2500 quad cab short bed, 4.10 gears (20,000 miles) with 6.7 cummins. Best mileage was 18.1 on 55-60 mph on 360 mile trip. Usually get 15-16.5, little worse in the winter. No mods as of today, will remove DPF and add chip after warranty expires. This truck will never get over 22 mpg in my opinion.

Eddie