Posthole Digger m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front)

/ m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front) #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
For those interested (there've been a few discussions on it) I finally got my hydraulic PHD rigged up on a quick attach to my m59 backhoe. The parts, and the hydraulic auger, all came from Neil messick. Auger mount from mcmillen and Quick attach earch from kubota were put together by a local welder. (Note - I made the spacing precise, and the ears bent in from heat shrinkage after grinding, giving me the opportunity to invest in and use a new grinder. Better to allow for this up front... )

The auger is running off the flow from the backhoe thumb. I had messicks put in pioneer quick connects in line at the thumb when I ordered it, under the theory I'd get to this eventually.

Rigged up is the 2 foot auger. I can barely dig with this - which is fine, I got it as a tree/shrub planter. First test, in between 2 oak trees, with lots of roots, went well.

I have a bobcat landscape rake 6b on the front (made by rockhound, btw, just rebadged). Happenstance, but its REALLY heavy, and thus makes a nice counterweight. The PHD on the end of a hoe is a big levered weight, I would be really careful swinging it.

As an aside, the ability to run the m59 as a big skidsteer is great, and often overlooked on here. I feel I have a skidsteer, tractor, and backhoe, all in one. There are some tradeoffs involved, but the flexibility is awesome.

pics in next post. Hyrdraulic post hole digger is McMillen x975. Theoretical flow on m59 is 15, but I think the qcs knock me down to 12 - not sure

Last edited:
   / m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front)
pics.

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

and more pics... (am I imagining things, or is there an automatic resizer? nice!)

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

I'd say so far the PHD works as well on the hoe as on the front ss QA. It's a low flow model, which I originally got to run off my b3030. Speed is fine, I wouldn't mind more torque, but down pressure and reverse more than make up for it. I gather I'd have more torque if the relief in my system was set higher, but not sure and would welcome feedback

/ m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front) #5  
That is one bad-*** looking machine with the auger and the power rake attached. Nice!

/ m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front) #6  
I gather I'd have more torque if the relief in my system was set higher, but not sure and would welcome feedback

Higher pressure will give you more torque, but you do not want to set your system relief higher than spec's. There may be a cross port relief on the PHD motor to protect it that is limiting the torque. Also, hydraulic thumb circuits often have their own relief so that the bucket curl will not damage the thumb cylinder.

Thanks stonehaller, that makes sense - thumb circuit does have a lower relief than bucket curl now that you mention it.

popped for RFB.

I've been using the 2 foot auger to punch tree and hydrange holes. Its a planting machine (pun intended) wife and I got 6 3 gallon hydranges planted in untouched forest soil in around 15 minutes - longest thing was moving the machine.

Be tough to go over a foot or 2 down with the 2 footer - think the 9" would do a lot better but haven't tried it yet

/ m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front) #9  
pics in next post. Hyrdraulic post hole digger is McMillen x975. Theoretical flow on m59 is 15, but I think the qcs knock me down to 12 - not sure

Charles,

By QCS do you mean the quick connects? I'm about to rig up a log splitter to my hoe and I was wondering if I had enough flow to run it off the thumb lines. It's gonna be a 4 or a 4.5 inch cylinder, and it calls for 11gpm. Cutting it close I suppose.

How much are the QA bucket ears?

-Mark

/ m59 with posthole digger on backhoe (and rock rake up front) #10  
popped for RFB.

I've been using the 2 foot auger to punch tree and hydrange holes. Its a planting machine (pun intended) wife and I got 6 3 gallon hydranges planted in untouched forest soil in around 15 minutes - longest thing was moving the machine.

Be tough to go over a foot or 2 down with the 2 footer - think the 9" would do a lot better but haven't tried it yet

Why? :confused: I dig full depth all the time with my 2 footer.

Attachments

• P4050007.JPG
    P4050007.JPG
    424.9 KB · Views: 362
  • P4050006.JPG
    P4050006.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 474
  • P4050009.JPG
    P4050009.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 346