learnin' to use the backhoe

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #1  

V1Rotate

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 29D
I recently picked up a TC-29 with a Woods backhoe, this is my first CUT so I needed to learn how to use it. I've watched many exprienced operators use backhoes and boy do they make it look easy. After a few hours now I think I'm getting the hang of it, but it takes a lot of eye-hand coordination which takes some practice, (at least for me). My goal is to be able operate the backhoe as efficiently and as smoothly as possible without putting any excess stress on it or the tractor. I was wondering if anyone else went through this with their backhoe and had any advice.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #3  
Best advice is "Keep diggin"............... You'll get it.

I found that when I dug the trench for the first 150' of french drain ....... the number two stones I used were my best friends.

They made the roller coaster bottom of the trench look nice and smooth ...... like the operator actually knew what he was doing.:)

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #4  
Practice, practice.

Yep, and don't be any hurry initially. Speed will come, but you can learn bad habits by rushing it.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #5  
I learned by digging out rocks and stumps. Go slow and easy ,and just play with it. Try picking up rocks ,the more you try the better you'll get. Before long you'll be able to curl your bucket around a rock right in the hole, pick it up and shake out the dirt in the hole. Like they all said practice, practice, practice. Don't forget to ask Q's to anyone you know that runs them ,they'll give you some good tips on how they do things.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #6  
After a few hours now I think I'm getting the hang of it, but it takes a lot of eye-hand coordination which takes some practice, (at least for me).

With enough hours of backhoe operation under you belt the need for hand eye coordination seems to go away. Eventually the boom, dipper, and bucket are just like an extension of your arms. They basically do what your mind tells them to without you even having to think about which way to move the sticks.

Whats real fun is going back and forth between a 2-stick machine and a 4-stick machine. Even though I have many hours on both it always takes me a second to adjust to the different controls.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #7  
As others have said, practice, take you time, and practice. Don't rush things, do it right and it will become natural for you. Took me a few hours and now feel very comfortable using the backhoe. :)

Attachments

• DitchFGarden 027.jpg
    DitchFGarden 027.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 219
  • KiotiWoodWood 004.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 004.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 252
  • StuckMilling 022.jpg
    StuckMilling 022.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Woodsbackhoe06.jpg
    Woodsbackhoe06.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 234
   / learnin' to use the backhoe #8  
If you are going to be moving lots of rocks and trees, check out Bro-Tek: Tractor Add Ons, they make a "thumb" for on your hoe, it works just like your thumb for picking up items. I just installed one on a L 2500 Kubota and it's incredible how much time you save trying to pick items up. I pick up a 30 foot log to waist height then hit it with the chain saw, presto, no more bending over with the saw. Check out the video of people using the thumb. Your skill will come gradually, don't try and hurry, it's hard on your machine. Good luck.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #9  
That's a fact Verticaltrx. I remember back in the 60s when we had a local guy put in a bunch of waterline for us...his rates were by the foot while a lot of others were by the hour at that time. This really pleased all the old tightwad farmers around since they all had gotten quotes from the hourly guys and "knew" the guy was working cheap. The thing was, he could dig more feet/hour than any of them could so his "hourly rate" was actually higher than them! He was one smooooth operator though! Watching his boom motions was quite literally like you were watching someone move their arm in the same motion. No wasted motion, and no wasted time. He might have been a natural at it, but no doubt he had lots of experience too.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #10  
Yes, it does take some practice using backhoe (or BH) before you get the hang of it...:thumbsup: