Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #51  
threads for those connectsions do no sealing. same with pipe female swivels.. it's a seal like a JIC fitting or compression or flair / inverted flair.. no sealant needed...

soundguy

Ill bite...so I guess where you are at pipe unions (that we weren't even talking about btw) are threaded onto the pipe with what kind of thread?

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #52  
One other thing you might keep in mind... The Dodge transmissions have an external adjustment screw and locknut for one of the bands... They are notorious for seeping fluid thru the threads and dripping off the edge of the pan..

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #54  
The sad thing is that threads on a lot of iron pipe is so poorly done that you have to use a sealant on them.

Ain't that the truth...I use teflon on most everything anymore..Sans gasoline related lines. The new pipe threads anymore look like someoned gnawed on them. I used to try to rely on the threads sealing themselves. 80% of the time I had to take the project apart and teflon them...Problem solved. Every time now.

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #56  
Ill bite...so I guess where you are at pipe unions (that we weren't even talking about btw) are threaded onto the pipe with what kind of thread?

when's the last time you used thread dope to seal your propane bottle to the reg? or your OA bottle to it's reg.

you did't. it's not a thread seal.

Imentioned that because someone SPECIFICALLY mentioned propane.. acet. bottles are the same way. flair, compression.. etc.. jic... none of those rely upon threads for sealing. thus you use no thread dope on them.

soundguy

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #57  
never use rtv on an automatic trans or a hydro.it will get in the servo,s

I suppose if you cut off the big end of the tube it might be a problem. If you follow the manufacturers recommendations for bead size, no issue. :confused2:

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #58  
when's the last time you used thread dope to seal your propane bottle to the reg? or your OA bottle to it's reg.

you did't. it's not a thread seal.

Imentioned that because someone SPECIFICALLY mentioned propane.. acet. bottles are the same way. flair, compression.. etc.. jic... none of those rely upon threads for sealing. thus you use no thread dope on them.

soundguy

LOL I think I see why you have 25k posts do you fly off in these tangents often?

You keep desperately digging for something to (IYO) validate your procedure for some reason to not acknowledge (you don't have to do it) an industry standard pipe thread sealing practice that has been pointed out and illustrated via search.

Let it go use whatever procedure you want I doubt anyone cares but you at least I don't Ive already said that.

Quite frankly it takes no skill to do something incorrectly only ignorance of the dynamics of the job at hand the world is full of it so carry on.

And btw it was about 3 weeks ago and all the output fittings from reg on were pipe thread all the way to the heaters and all were sealed with yellow dope or tape by a licensed plumber.

Also since you mentioned it the OA gages are sealed with tape the nipples are taped at the regs etc so what are you saying only what you want to talk about makes any difference the defense rests.

Last edited:
   / Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #59  
so you are telling me that the nipple end that goes into your prop or fuel gas bottle has something on the threads?

shouldn't

it's a metal to metal flange seal.

the threads do -0- to seal that connection.

same with compression flair and jic.. etc.

soundguy

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #60  
Man you are a stubborn one or something I don't know what lol!

Yes the pipe thread nipples that screw into the regs have tape on them from the factory so do the gages plus the valve at the bottles where it screws in the top of the tank has tape on the threads as well......chew on that for awhile and its 3000# psi and a gas line is only 8 ozs but will still leak if not sealed I promise been there done that just here recently.

You cant reliably tighten every single pipe threaded connection tight enough pre-check that will seal 100% of the time and you cant guarantee it will stay sealed just by tension that's why everyone seals them we have life's to get on with and tape is cheap insurance for a leak free installation try it sometime.

Believe me when I say and everyone else says tape and dope are necessary on pipe threads whether you want to believe it or not lmao.