/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #11  
There should be a metal tab on the bottom side of the bar by the chain cover

Attachments

• 220px-Chainsaw_chain_catcher.jpg
    220px-Chainsaw_chain_catcher.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 158
   / Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #12  
Wait till you do it on a 3120 with no chip deflector installed. :smiley_aafz:

Just, dump mix, clean up the tank area, air dry tank. JB weld the busted up area. Holds for years or till you slap the tank with a chain again. :laughing:
That 3120 is a serious saw. I have the Husky 2100 with a 36" bar for when I get into the bigger trees. That thing will fling a lot of sawdust with a good chain on it.

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #14  
That's weird that it do a better job of catching the chain. If the tab hasn't been bent even more than it should be possibly.

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #15  
Sounds like Husky needs a design change.

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back about this.

Well, Husqvarna was NO help. They immediately blamed the incident on faulty maintenance. In other words, it was my fault.
They said the only way that could happen would be a loose chain.
Well, I know that I had just tightened the chain before the problem occurred.

The dealer was less than helpful. They acted like I was just causing trouble. I've spent a lot of money at that place over the years. No more.

So, I stopped at the auto parts shop and got a plastic tank repair kit, (thanks to all that suggested that). It sealed the tank up fine.

I left the chain and bar off the machine and fired it up. The engine ran fine. I did notice one thing. The anti-vibration suspension works really good. The motor and all the working parts vibrate like mad, but you don't feel it at the handle.

So, maybe the chain did come loose, because the vibration is SO BAD! I don't remember the nuts being loose, but I was more concerned with the gas squirting out at the time.

Anyway, I put the chain back on and added lock washers under the chain bar nuts. The machine works fine, but I did check the nuts every 20 seconds for the first ten minutes.

Today, I was cutting up a large red oak. Ran fine for the first 2 tanks of gas. On the 3rd tank, sure enough, one of the nuts backed out, even with the lock washer.

Guess I'll just have to keep monitoring the nuts.

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #17  
Husky's are really good saws typically. You say it vibrates like crazy? I am curious if maybe there is a fin bent or broken off of the flywheel. Or a bearing is worn out . The antivibe absorbers should be taking out most of that vibration and dampening. I always have spare bar nuts in the tool box any more. If you had enough thread sticking out of the bar bolts you could put two bar nuts on each bolt. Weird that Husky isn't giving you better service.

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist
This saw is practically new. Only had FOUR hard outings with it.
Has never been dropped, banged, or run over.
Everything is factory. Still has 3 months left on the USELESS warranty.
I'll keep using it, as it seems to work okay as long as I check the nuts about halfway through a tankful of gas.
But, I'm absolutely sure my next saw will be a different brand.

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #19  
I've never in all the years I've used chain saws had a bar nut come loose. There may be a balance problem, as others have said.
I've never used a 455, but all the Stihls and Huskies I've had have actually been very smooth other than at idle.
Does it have a 3/8 or .325 chain? If you're stuck with it, I'd recommend your next chain be one of the .325 narrow-kerf low-vibe chains, they make quite a difference in chain-caused vibration while cutting.

Sean

/ Trouble with the Husky - A New Twist #20  
I have the same saw and have run it hard for well over a year. I've jumped a couple chains and the stop worked as it should. I too am a huge Husky fan and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I am a bit upset to hear that their customer service is less than stellar but their products are. I've had great luck also with their handhelds for landscaping. I'd see if you can just source a new tank at some point as the saw should give you many years of service.