Top Three Vintage Tractors

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #21  
When my grandpa was alive he used to talk about taking his lunch on the seat of his new B plowing virgin land in northwest Iowa.

We had a B with a loader that my dad use to move manure out of the cow barn, don't think he was eating his lunch while doing that.:laughing::laughing:
I actually still have the tractor in the shed waiting to be restored.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #22  
think all the electrics and plastic parts for that 3400 are gonna be here in 60 years?

If there were near a million of them.. yeah.. but there won't be.

you don't see production runs that high any more due to the number of models out at a time. when a tractor manufacturer is making a single model, or limited number of models at a time.. and for a large year range.. and have it so that parts can span a couple decade range and still fit.. that's where you get machine longevity.

have a part that fits 20-30 ys of tractors that each have high production runs.. thus more likely that part will still be in production 60 ys later.

soundguy

Well, we just rebuilt dads 8n last year.

I can say for sure that it had been rebuilt at least once before that.

It also shows evidence that the engine threw a rod out the side of the block at some point in the past as well. It was a very good and sound repair whoever did it many moons ago. But the point is people dont make them kind of repairs as often anymore.

It also has a cracked transmission bell housing. As well as it has been repainted at least twice before.

And just comparing it side-by-side with my L3400, there are some things that are built noticabally better on my L3400 vs the 8n. Like all the 3PH stuff is MUCH beefier on the kubota. The castings and axles appear to be just as solid, and the tin is just as thin and prone to rusting through on the old 8n as well.

Yes, tractors of the old days were built quite well and made to last. BUT, I think current tractors are built just as good and would last equally as long if given the chance. If there were over 500,000 L3400's (or any current CUT) made in ~1950, I am sure there would be just as many of them around as there are 8n's today.

The problem is that we currently live in a throw-away soceity. So I doubt they will ever get a chance to prove themselves. But only time will tell.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #23  
#1 Ford 9n
#2 John Deere Model B
#3 whichever model had the first pto that didn't involve jacking the tractor

Seems like the "dooodlebug" should get at least a mention in this thread. The do-it-yourselfer in me wants to put it around #5 on the list.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #24  
think all the electrics and plastic parts for that 3400 are gonna be here in 60 years?

If there were near a million of them.. yeah.. but there won't be.

you don't see production runs that high any more due to the number of models out at a time. when a tractor manufacturer is making a single model, or limited number of models at a time.. and for a large year range.. and have it so that parts can span a couple decade range and still fit.. that's where you get machine longevity.

have a part that fits 20-30 ys of tractors that each have high production runs.. thus more likely that part will still be in production 60 ys later.

soundguy

Well, I think we can agree to disagree here.

I think it was the mentality of farmers/owners back then that kept the old iron around. The willingness to do what needed to be done to keep the tractor running.

I think todays throw-it-away mindset is going to be the main reason todays tractors wont be around in 50years, NOT because of quality and build.

The other thing the tractors of the 40's and 50's had going is that they were quickly being out paced by the HP race. Tractors got ALOT bigger really quick. And quickly made the 8n more of a wagon puller and less of a "farm" tractor.

These newer CUT's with 4wd and FEL take a beating. And a lot of times by inexperienced operators. Whereas back in the day, if you had a tractor, you werent a city-slicker-turned-country boy and trying to learn something new. Back then, ya grew up with the equipment, had more respect for it, and cared for it better as a whole compared to today. But this is just my opinion.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #25  
I just don't see it as a agree to disagree issue.

If I go buy a 28000$ tractor and 5 ys later it blows up a 4500$ engine.. I'm GOING TO FIX that engine instead of buying a new 28000$ tractor.

and there can be NO DOUBT that higher production runs account for increased parts support down the line. that's simply proven fact.. not hypothesis.

soundguy

Well, I think we can agree to disagree here.

I think it was the mentality of farmers/owners back then that kept the old iron around. The willingness to do what needed to be done to keep the tractor running.

I think todays throw-it-away mindset is going to be the main reason todays tractors wont be around in 50years, NOT because of quality and build.

The other thing the tractors of the 40's and 50's had going is that they were quickly being out paced by the HP race. Tractors got ALOT bigger really quick. And quickly made the 8n more of a wagon puller and less of a "farm" tractor.

These newer CUT's with 4wd and FEL take a beating. And a lot of times by inexperienced operators. Whereas back in the day, if you had a tractor, you werent a city-slicker-turned-country boy and trying to learn something new. Back then, ya grew up with the equipment, had more respect for it, and cared for it better as a whole compared to today. But this is just my opinion.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #26  
I just don't see it as a agree to disagree issue.

If I go buy a 28000$ tractor and 5 ys later it blows up a 4500$ engine.. I'm GOING TO FIX that engine instead of buying a new 28000$ tractor.

and there can be NO DOUBT that higher production runs account for increased parts support down the line. that's simply proven fact.. not hypothesis.

soundguy

But with these smaller tractors being marketed toward us smalltime homeowner/hobby farm types, the odds of us blowing up and engine @ 5 years are slim to none.

It would take most of us 15+ years to even get to 2000-3000 hours. And at that point, a 15-20 year old tractor most people in this day wouldn't opt to rebuild. Hence the throw it away mentality.

But rewind to 60 years ago, if you bought a 8n and in 15-20 years of service the engine blew, a much larger percentage would have chosen to rebuild it vs today. Where as most today would just opt to either part it out, junk it, or whatever and go get a newer tractor.

I am just simply amazed at how many people say things like "they dont make them like they used to". I personally see no evidence to support that. I think my L3400 is built every bit as rugged and would last just as long as an older N if given the chance.

These newer ones DO have more electronics, sensors, etc that can fail. So I guess that makes them harder to work on and not as reliable in a way. But properly maintained and taken care of, and if parts are still avaliable, I see no reason at all why current tractors wont last just as long. But only time will tell.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #27  
you are compairing raisens to apples.

a 119ci gas engine in a ford can be swung from a tree or heck.. in-framed and shade tree rebuilt in a few hours depeding on if it needs liners or not. if it needs liners, kits can be had in the 450-500$ range.

if no liners.. then less. with no cam bearings, you are throwing in some rod and main bearing shells, polishing the crank, IF that, replacing some seals, rings, honing the cyls's and a quickie manual valve lapp by hand. ie.. this is lawnmower engine technology.

not a higher tech diesel with injection pumps.. etc.

i've got no problems setting down for 15 minutes and throwing a 15$ kit in an N carb, and knowing what it will do when I bolt it back on.. no instructions needed.

an injector pump? I don't have the equipment to even test that?

i don't think people are less willing.. I think they are less capable now.. add to that a more complex machine.. and there's where you get the issues.

easy to fix machine + someone with some earned hands on experience + cheap parts vs a much harder to fix machine requireing specialized equipment the average person don't have in their garage ( you got a injector pop off tester? i don't! ), vs realitively small % of the population with DIESEL mechanic skills, + more expensive parts.

remember.. in the 70's everyone's dad knew how to set points.

now?

i don't doubt on an individual scale that you could care for a piece of equipment and keep it going for decades. IE.. you and your 3400.. keep it fixed and maintained as you go.

the one kicker is reduced numbers. even if you keep your 3400 going.. if it has reduced production numbers.. in60 ys.. getting repair parts may mean a contract with a CNC shop!!!

soundguy

But with these smaller tractors being marketed toward us smalltime homeowner/hobby farm types, the odds of us blowing up and engine @ 5 years are slim to none.

It would take most of us 15+ years to even get to 2000-3000 hours. And at that point, a 15-20 year old tractor most people in this day wouldn't opt to rebuild. Hence the throw it away mentality.

But rewind to 60 years ago, if you bought a 8n and in 15-20 years of service the engine blew, a much larger percentage would have chosen to rebuild it vs today. Where as most today would just opt to either part it out, junk it, or whatever and go get a newer tractor.

I am just simply amazed at how many people say things like "they dont make them like they used to". I personally see no evidence to support that. I think my L3400 is built every bit as rugged and would last just as long as an older N if given the chance.

These newer ones DO have more electronics, sensors, etc that can fail. So I guess that makes them harder to work on and not as reliable in a way. But properly maintained and taken care of, and if parts are still avaliable, I see no reason at all why current tractors wont last just as long. But only time will tell.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #28  
I agree that parts may become a problem in the future.

But when you talk about how simple and easy to rebuild an older tractor is, well it was hight tech stuff in the day. You see what technology has done in the last 50-60 years, imagine how low-tech our current tractors may seem in 50-60 years:confused2:

Wether or not my L3400 is still around in 50 years is yet to be determined.

The point I am making is that it will probabally be for numerous reasons mentioned, like parts avalibility, limited production, etc. But certainly NOT because it isn't built as rugged or "built to last". It is built every bit as heavy-duty and rugged as an 8n. And somethings are even MORE rugged. But wether or not myself or future owners are willing to keep it running for 50 years will depend on things like you mention. Parts, willingness, equipment, etc. But again, not because it isnt built to last.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #29  
Base the comparison's on hours of run time pulling a proper load sized to the tractor. Many of the newer tractor's that are only a few years old will have more hours than an 8N. :thumbsup::thumbsup::

We now have many fewer farms covering many more acres with much larger equipment. That means fewer machines required. :D

There will be some exceptions of course.:):)

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #30  
Allis certainly had some breakthroughs in their time, such as the model u (first tractor with pneumatic tires)... So did massey harris with the GP (4 wheel drive). It was minneapolis-moline that introduced electric start, and the farmalls proved that one tractor could be used effectively for field and belt work. In my opinion there really is no three most important tractors, but rather 50 years or so of innovation that has contributed to make farming what it is today. And by the way, it was the Ferguson-Brown, not the 9N, that had the first Ferguson System Draft Control 3 point hitch :)