TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced.

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced.
Greetings again from the land of white. I can't thank you guys enough for kicking in some advice. I can barely afford to own the equipment. I do not have the resources to take it to the dealer for this type of repair work. I have been doing grade work since 1986, using a 1620 which is also a great little machine. I injured myself ( torn ligiments on my foot) and haven't been able to work the two jobs I always have. I have always had a love of equipment since I was about five years old. Since dad was a white collar guy I had to make or build, or garbage pick anything I wanted ( go carts, mini bikes,lawn mowers, etc...) One night while plowing snow during a storm, I saw a large 4 wheel tractor backdrag a driveway in 30 seconds. At that point I knew I had to have one. I bought my first 1910 and put a cab on it for plowing. Since then I moved to a 1620HST and used that exslusivly for putting lawns in for the last fifteen years. This past summer I stumbbled across this TC40 from a guy who was closing down his landscaping business. He worked it hard, but it was in good shape and I am just working a few bugs out of it. I stumbbled across Tractorbynet by googling a problem I had with the 3pt lift (overtighted castle nut) that I found the answer here for, and then a starting problem( found answer here again) and etc... I had some surgery a while back and was on some meds that made everything dark and gloomy. I didn't come back here to TBN for a while. I am so glad to be back and talking with you guys. I am located between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Should you guys ever need anything up this way, let me know. I thankyou and look forward to testing the solinoid soon. I know a little on the volt / ohm meters, enough to get through the basic testing. I hope to put the tractor in the garage here with a few days. Working on a skid sprayer currently inside.
Have a great day,
(looking out the window) and "Oh good, it's snowing again"

Goodday,

Don

Last edited:
   / TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #12  
Don, I think I can speak for everyone here that you are a welcomed addition to this forum. We understand your need for DIY repairs. Some of us do it because we must and others because it is so much fun and so rewarding to fix our own stuff. I'm glad your health problems seem to be behind you and you are again feeling better. I can assure you that we will stick with this until we know exactly what is wrong with your tractor. I will personally try to give you all the help I can, and I know this site is full of other people who will do the same. We will work at your speed and opportunity. When you have the time, we'll be here to get 'er done.:D

Hi Guys,

I'm back and have the tractor sitting in the garage to worked on. I have done the following.

1.) tested the solinoid for continuity(?spelling). It comes back as a complete circuit with an ohm reading of 9.3

2.) I then checked the ground going back from the wire that returns from the solinoid, and I do have a complete ground.

3.) I turned on the tractor (ignition switch to run) and tested the wire from the relays to the solinoid. The rabbit switch lit up and testing the wire to the solinoid showed power. (lightbulb circuit tester used)

4.) Assuming it is the spool in the solinoid and or the plunger. I have most of it out except the spool (and maybe) the plunger. Can you tell me If I can tap the spool/plunger out from (looking at it from the side) the left side where the cap is towards the right side where the solinoid sits? Or does it only get pulled out from the rightside(backside of tractor)?

Again I appreciate all of your help. I am looking forward to getting it back together and give it a try.

Thankyou Don

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #14  
Don, I'm posting a scan of the Repair Manual that shows the solenoid valve. If the spool does not shift inside the valve, there is a plug on the opposite side of the valve body that can be removed and maybe push the spool out from that side. There should be a spring that returns the spool to the turtle position when the solenoid is deenergized.

193198d1293818279-tc-40d-rabbit-turtlesolenoid-02.jpg

Hey Jim,

You got it! After tracing the power(which was good) back towards the solinoid, I had power all the way thru the circuit. With no clicking of the solinoid, I pulled it apart and found exactly what you had said. The spool was stuck/Jammed inside the of the bore section of the valve. I pulled it out, and cleaned it up with some steel wool. I put it back together and turned ignition on, and cycled the switch. I heard both the solinoid and the relays clicking. I haven't run it yet, I want to change the hydralic fluid and filter.
I want to thank you for all the help and support you have given me. It is awesome to know their are some guys who will help a stranger. Keep it in mind, should you ever get to Buffalo, or Niagara Falls, give me a heads up and I'll show you the town and treat you for dinner. My next project is to put a front end loader on it. I found a used (factory) one for $3000. I didn't think that was too bad.
Hope you and your family are well, and will drop you a line here and there.

Best to you,

Buffalo Don

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #16  
Don, I'm glad you found the problem and we could help. Lately, two people have had special problems with that valve. The other person had wires broken of the solenoid coil. I hope your hydraulic fluid change goes well and your rabbit/turtle feature continues to function well for you.

BTW: A couple of years ago, my wife gave us a trip to Niagara Falls for my birthday. You never know when we just might show back up there sometime because we really loved the Falls and our trip.:thumbsup:

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #17  
Niagra Falls -- SLowly I turned .....Hmmmm, now what movie was that from.

BD,

Glad you found the problem. Mine was easy compared to your problem. Good luck with the front loader.

Later,

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #18  
Not a movie, a 3 stooges routine.

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #19  
Seems to have been a very popular routine. Not sure who did it first but the stooges did it, Abott and Costelo, Lucy, Mike douglas (with Moe Howard). Key word search (Slowly I turned) brings up a ton on U-tube.

We return you now to your original thread "...Rabbit...Turtle..." Hmmm, that one sounds familiar......................

Later,

/ TC40 Rabbit / Turtle switch not working, switch and relays replaced. #20  
I am reasonably sure that Jim could criss-cross the country, and never have to buy a meal. He has helped a lot of people(directly and indirectly).

If Jim is ever on I-70 in Kansas, I hope he drops me a line. It would be great to have the honor of buying his family a meal(or, even better, having them stop for a visit!).

Chris