Ballast Whats everyone use in there ballast box ?

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #31  
I use an elevator weight and sand. Easily at about 900lbs. Getting the weight into the box was a real PITA. But it's tall, so keeps the weight close to the tractor, which seems to help in having the box stablized when driving on the road.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #32  
I used steel beer bottle molds.
I work at the factory that uses them and they let me have a few from the scap trailer. Each mold makes two bottles. I think each half weight about 33 pounds.

For a 748 i only needed to use about half the box. Tried it full and with the snowblowe on the front end, it took too much weight off the front tires.

I think i might have 300-350pounds in there.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #33  
I was wondering what everyone has been putting in there ballast boxes for weight ?

1) Concrete
2) Sand
3) Rocks
4) Steel weights
5) Small Stone

None of the Above.

You just can't beat a Back Hoe. If extra weight is needed an Ice Chest filled with BEER works out real well. :D: :licking: :thumbsup:

OK: A rock now and then!:drink::drink:

Attachments

• another rock1.jpg
    another rock1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 119
   / Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #34  
None of the Above.

You just can't beat a Back Hoe. If extra weight is needed an Ice Chest filled with BEER works out real well. :D: :licking: :thumbsup:

OK: A rock now and then!:drink::drink:

Totally off topic, of course...
And a backhoe is pretty useless as ballast...too top heavy and awkward in close quarters.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #35  
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the newer tractors being lighter than the older ones. I've never needed ballast. Even when I carried the 1,500# 45KW generator down to the lower ranch in the front bucket.

Show off.:D

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #38  
Like in "Every time I get the chance!!!"

Sometimes.:D

I have enjoyed the discussion though and if I ever find the need for a ballast box this thread will definately be in the back of my mind. I like the idea the guy had for using a 55 gallon drum.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #39  
You know, on the 55 gallon drum thing I once had a 9N that needed a counterweight.
I put a drawbar on it and nestled a 55 gallon drum with the bottom against the flat of the drawbar and the barrel tilted and nestled into the back of the seat area.
The stay straps were on the link arms and the barrel rested nicely in this triangular framework.

I bolted the bottom of the barrel to the drawbar and had a 1/4" chain wrapped around the top of the barrel and bolted to the 3PT bracket on the tractor.
Then I filled it with rocks. It worked like a charm.
It was comapact and tight to the tractor and the stay straps supported the weight of the barrel. Seems like this would work fine with a plastic drum of today.
Just my two cents.

/ Whats everyone use in there ballast box ? #40  
Totally off topic, of course...
And a backhoe is pretty useless as ballast...too top heavy and awkward in close quarters.

Wrong!! Very much on topic and it works for me. A little plus is on a side slope you can swing the weight to the up hill side. In close quarters you do have to Think a little bit, it has never held me back and I often work in very tight areas.

"Be - Yourself, Everyone Else Is "Taken!"