Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #11  
After looking at almost every UTV available I decided to go with the RTV500. I got mine for $8350, after the cash discount. If you decide to go with Kubota you might shop around for a more stripped down model, since its possible the one you saw for $9500 had some added accessory that you may not require.

We looked at the Mule 610, and I didn't like it. Unfortunately I can't remember why. I've only put a few hours on my RTV so far, but I'm very happy with it.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #12  
I have a Kawasaki Praire 400,puchased new in 1998 with 3,ooo miles and no belt problems:I have a Yamaha Rhino 450 with 2,000 miles with no belt problems.In the family we have a 660 Grizzley and Kawasaki Terex both with belts no problems.
I would advise to check out the Terex,more off-road ability,power..but a little rough on gas.Its a 750 twin.Kawasaki makes some of best small motors in the world.
My Yamaha Rhino 450 is used just about every day...been great.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #13  
I can't speak on the RTV500 but I've had a Mule 610 for 4 years now and have been quite satisfied. I bought the factory shop manual to do the services myself which are pretty easy. Nothing's ever broken or failed. Some worry about the CVT belt drive but I wouldn't. The belt is as wide as the large mules so it's more than up to the task. The whole system is sealed from water and dirt and to prevent it from overheating the belt is fan cooled with filtered air drawn through the top of the roll bar. I'm guessing the Kubota hydro tranny will need servicing such as fluid and filter changes well before the Mule will need a belt replacement. The Mule's CVT is quiet, efficient, and well proven.
I like the Mule build quality, its ease of operation, light steering, ease of servicing the air cooled engine, and it just sips gasoline. A few times I wish it had a little more speed but it hasn't lacked for power or traction. The RTV500 has a little more power with it's water cooled two cylinder engine but it's added weight and less efficient drive probably offset this to a great degree.

The 610 and 610XC are the same basic vehicle, same engine, transmission, body, frame, etc. The 610 XC has taller wheels and suspension for a little more ground clearance. The transmission reduction ratio was changed to allow for the larger wheel size, as was the brake master cylinder. The steering wheel is smaller and "sportier" but would have less leverage IMO.

Kubota's site has a useful comparison. The Mule's HP is unlisted on the site but it is 13.5 HP according to Kawasaki. http://www.kubota.com/assets/product/comps/RTV500/RTV500_Comp.pdf

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #14  
I too faced the same conundrum. I bought a Mule 610 XC. I liked the beefier suspension and smaller steering wheel. I paid 7k cash OTD in Jan of 2010. I have hauled sap with it, well over 600 lbs, and aside from being a little tough to steer (not much traction up front with that much weight in the back) it handles the load with ease. When I first brought it home the belt took about 15hrs to break in, been flawless ever since (now at 155hrs).

I love the fact that the mule fits in the back of my truck. It makes it easy to bring it to the dealer for services, etc, and it lets me tow a trailer as well. That one feature alone is very handy. If I need to bring firewood to camp, I load the mule in the truck, and hook up the dump trailer full of wood. When I get to camp I dump the load of wood, unhook the trailer, and unload the mule. I then have the mule to use as I please while I'm at camp.

Also after having a hydro tractor, I didn't want to cost and hassle of dealing with more hydro filters, and fluid flushes. The heavy duty stuff gets done with the tractor. Everything else falls on to the mule

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #15  
I have neither. I looked at the Kubota and it was too much work for me. I was going to go with either the Rhino or Mule when I came across a dealer Demo Big Red for less than the 610. If you plan on working it hard then the Kubota makes sense, if it's just going to be a glorified golf cart for the misses then if she likes it save the money. It's not like the Mule can't do work.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #16  
I have an 05 RTV 900 and a new Kawasaki Mule. I like them both the RTV has 800 hours and the Mule only 70. The down side to Kubotas in my opinion is that if you need any parts you need to take a very large check book to the dealer. I just paid $400 for a muffler for the RTV.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #17  
I have both. the mule is fine but not built as heavy as the kubota. If you are using as a tool to haul heavy loads and work I would pick the Kubota. If it is just for riding the mule would be fine. The kubota is very driver friendly with the hydro trans so the kids will be able to drive it. One other option is a gas club car golf cart (toughest thing ever made) these are easy to drive and if you put the knobby tires on back and keep the air low they will go most anywhere. It is about 2 miles through the woods from my house to the Grandparents and my three kids have put at least a couple thousand miles on that cart in the last 4 years with no problems. You can buy these from dealers with the bed on back and knobby tires for around 3000 to 3500 dollars. Alot of the golf leases keep them 3 years or so and then they taken in by a club car dealer and sold.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #18  
I also have a couple of golf carts. Two electric Club Cars and a gas EZ-GO. The only one I have set up with off road tires and lift kit is the EZ-GO. I've had it for eight years and haven't had any problems at all with it. I had it before the RTV900 and the Mule. I was amazed at some of the places it would go. I also used to pull a 5x8 trailer full of goose decoys with it. It's still running strong but doesn't suffer the abuse I used to put it through.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #19  
Well this is my opinion..the Kubota is heavy duty machine the only problem is it doesn't shift right. When spending 8 grand or more I expect the machine to shift with ease. You shouldn't have to feather the gas, or hold your foot on the the brake for ten seconds...so on. I've had my machine for 2 years now it is a work horse, but the shifting sucks.
My wife won't even drive it cause of the shifting. Everybody on this site says take it to dealer have them fix it, seems like everyone has done that but the problems still exists. If I had it to do again definitely would have bought a John Deere or a Ranger.

/ Kawasaki Mule 610 vs. Kubota RTV 500 - 2011 #20  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/181191-barebones-mule-your-suggestions.html

I went through a similar process last year and bought the Trans Mule. I absolutely love the size of the bed for hauling stuff when it's in the bigger configuration, and just as much, love being able to shorten the bed, fold up the back seat and haul around three passengers confortably. I've even thought about adding a slide in seat to the bed to haul around even more people!!!!

If I had it all to do again, I would buy the exact same vehicle. I just wish that I had bought it sooner!!!

Eddie