Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure?

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #11  
I looked at everything, but since cost was a big factor, I went with a pole barn, then poured a concrete slab inside of it after the barn was built. My preference was an all-steel (pre-engineered) building, but there was too much of a cost difference in the slab, at least in our area. As far as interior spans, my barn is 40x50 with no interior posts - all clear span trusses.
The slab for the pre-engineered building supports the building, while the one for the barn is not load bearing - this is what impacted the cost. The pre-engineered building will require piers at the columns plus a perimeter beam and the slab itself. The pole barn slab is poured using the lower 2x6 of the barn framing as a form. I added a perimeter beam all around though since mine was on an 8" fill pad.
I still made the slab in mine a 6" thickness with #4 bars - plenty stout.

Attachments

• 241938-outsidebarn.jpg
    241938-outsidebarn.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 865
   / Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure?
Re: Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structur

Thanks, I found it on ebay. Made by Perka, almost identical to MiracleTruss.

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #13  

We researched all the options we could find. After a nasty head injury we had to look at only the type of buildings that included the erection as a total package. We found a great company that we felt offered a great product at a fair price. They built us an all metal 40' x 60' building with 14' walls and a 24' x 60' lean-to on the west side. The roof panels are one complete 40' piece so no peak to leak. We had the slab poured after the building was compleated. I felt that having the 12 posts in concrete 4' to 5' deep in 14" holes would make the building much stronger. We paid 18,300.00 for the turn-key building (not including the slab). We have since built a 12' x 30' apartment inside to stay on the weekends while preparing the land for our eventual house. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #14  

Paulaortnersr,

What company did you use?

Your erected price for that size of building is exceptional.

Good luck with your project.

Yooper Dave

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #15  

The company name is WD Metal buildings out of Texas, their web site is www.wdmb.com /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #16  
JEP - you don't state your location. If you are near Texas, Mueller Steel Buildings is worth looking into. I put up a 30'x40' prefab building and am very pleased with it. It just bolted together. The also offer weld up models at a lower price if you prefer to weld one.
<font color="blue"> Mueller </font>

Attachments

• 245010-barn_small.jpg
    245010-barn_small.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 799
   / Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #17  
I went with Mircle Truss/Mircle Steel. I built a 16x36x60 barn, all steel with wood in between the truss'. Cost was 15,000 for materials another 1500 for wood and (gulp) 22000 for alaskan slab(lots of sightwork during horrible rainy 3 week stetch) total was 38000 but it's worth it when you don't have to worry about beams and rafters in your way. I'm an artist, and I did it myself so it isn't real hard. I have alot of questions regarding future projects with this building, is this a good place to post questions or is there a more appropriate site? thanks for listening

I am a long way from Texas, I'm in southen Michigan. So far Steelbuilding.com is coming up with the best price, and now they are offering a 5% discount. You can get instant quotes on standard buildings from their website. I visited a local customer who erected one of their buildings. He seemed satisfied, and thought they had the best value. He had helped build pole style buildings and said the all steel building went together much faster, fewer parts to assemble. You just needed a telehandler or some other type of equipment to erect.

I got a quote from Miracletruss, they were about twice as much as the all steel building. A local lumber company would build a nicer pole barn for less money.

I could probably negotiate some with Miracletruss, but not less than half. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Barn construction- wood/pole or steel structure? #20  

<font color="blue">You just needed a telehandler or some other type of equipment to erect.
</font>
I don't know what a telehandler is. When I put mine up, my neighbor brought his LARGE international tractor with a hay spike on the bucket. We used a lifting strap over the spike to lift the I beams up to attach to the columns. Worked great. We needed to lift about 15' or so. His spike topped out just about 2" inches higher than we needed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif