Backhoe Removing BH77

/ Removing BH77 #1  

redsox1

Silver Member
Tractor
L3800 HST
New tractor owner, recently purchased an L3800 w/ FEL and BH77. I also bought a couple of attatchments I'm itching to try out (bush hog and chipper). The BH came attatched to the tractor via the sub frame and is supposed to be fairly easy to take off and put back on. When the tractor was delivered they talked me through the process quickly but by then I was in sensory overload :confused2:. Can anyone walk me through the process of removing the BH, especially the part about disconnecting the hydraulic hoses and then how they are hooked up while the unit (BH) is disconnected. Also anything to watch for in reattatching it back later. What I'd really like is a checklist, do this , do this, do this & bam you're done.
Having a ball w/ the tractor so far (if it'll ever stop raining), five hours in the seat and no problems, well OK I did ding the mailbox a little w/ the FEL moving mulch around but my wife didn't see it so I don't think that counts:laughing: thanks in advance for any help.

/ Removing BH77
Thanks for the valuable feedback. My mistake, I thought this was a tractor forum to exchange views and provide help to members. Next time I'll stick to the manuals and hope for the best.

/ Removing BH77 #4  
Thanks for the valuable feedback. My mistake, I thought this was a tractor forum to exchange views and provide help to members. Next time I'll stick to the manuals and hope for the best.

Don't get so prickly son. If I knew I would tell you. ;) I don't have one though.

The point was that the procedure is outlined in the manual and you should not rely on second hand info when you have the official guide in your possession as it might differ a tad from other models and we may not know that.

This forum is great for tips, tricks and warnings and best for a wide range of opinions. You manual is best for procedures. Maybe if Paulwestski did not get prickly too he will describe what his manual says if you still need it. :thumbsup:

/ Removing BH77 #5  

No need to be short.....:mad:.In order to write a accurate detailed step by step checklist for removal of the BH77 for you I'd have to get my operators manual out and review the manufacturers reccomended procedure.
Perhaps if you posted your interpretation of the factory step by step checklist procedure others could post with comments, tip and tricks.
A couple of tips:
Have a rag ready when you uncouple the hydraulic quick disconnects, they'll dribble about a teaspoon of fluid from the female end when disconnected.
Make certain you shut down the tractor and relive hydraulic pressure before you disconnect the hydraulic lines.

John
I wasn't being "prickley" just curious what info the OP has already. If he didn't have the manual we could have taken the time to scan our manual to PM to him.

/ Removing BH77
Sorry. it's a little stressful removing the Bh for the first time, I don't want to screw something up right off the bat. I will review the manual some more and see how detailed it gets for the procedure.

/ Removing BH77 #7  
The hardest part is putting it back on. Take your time and make certain you back the tractor up to the backhoe exactly centered and square to the BH.

I think that the manual tells you to lower the BH to the ground once you pull the tractor away before you disconnect the Hydro lines.
My method. I cut a chunk of 8x8 to fit under the BH (Right where the boom and out riggers attach to the removable frame) so that the BH sits a 1/2" higher than it was when I pulled the tractor forward. The 8x8 will keep the BH from settling/lowering, accidentally lowering on someones foot. This way when you go to put the BH back on you can back the tractor all the way up to the BH so that the lower pins are in the slots but not down in the hooks. Set the PB, shut down the tractor, relieve hydro pressure, reconnect the BH hydro lines, restart the tractor, and then just manipulate the boom to lower the BH into the lower hooks, raise the BH to align the upper pin holes and slide the upper pins into place.

Pay close attention to which holes the upper pin sliding retainer locks go into. They need to go into the lower holes so that gravity keeps them in place.

Good luck and enjoy, Again the hardest part is backing the tractor up to the BH PERFECTLY ALIGNED!!!!!

/ Removing BH77 #8  
I know it won't help you now but a dolly will make the job way easier.If you will be removing the BH on a regular basis it is certainly worth the effort to make one or have one made.I have a dolly that I made for my BH90 and it makes the job almost effortless and very quick.Also the dolly allows the outriggers to stay up which requires less space in your garage and the whole unit can be wheeled out of the way.