Rant! Stihl wont start!

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #11  
Many years ago, an elderly small engine repair person (in 70's at time) explained gasoline expansion to me. He advised on 2 cycle engines always loosen the gas tank cap after using and before storing for next use. He advised the small carbs on two cycles were not designed to handle pressure. He advised when the tank has gasoline in it and is stored it will expand in hot weather forcing the gas from the tank thru the carb. I started this and do not have a problem.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #12  
I bought a new stihl FarmBoss earlier this week and when I wa their the dealer who is a good friend told me that I have to get this mix that stihl sells that once your gonna store the saw you run it dry them put a little of this stuff in run it for a minute and then leave it in the tank and it is supposed to help clean the saw and keep it fresh and running good

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #13  
For about $1.00/gallon more, you can still get ethanol free premium gas. I get a 5 gal jug of it for small engines. After rebuilding 3 carbs this season, I'm thru with cheeping out on the basic unleaded with that crap ethanol. Green my butt. they will convert the planet to green by destroying ALL small engines

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #14  
I had a problem similar to the OP's with my Stihl MS170. Further investigation after cleaning/replacing the carb didn't fix the problem revealed that the fuel line had split in an almost impossible to notice location.

Sometimes it's the simplest problems that are the hardest to diagnose....

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #15  
I think Stihl calls their stuff Motomix. It's just non ethanol (rv gas) mixed 50:1. My dealer swears by it for storage. I have started using it for long term storage. Over a month. Dont really want to replace the carbs on my two strokes. Seems like I can't find non ethanol gas sold nearby.

Chuck

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #16  
update:
after 3 weeks in shop(glad I was not in a hurry) and $65.00 to rebuild carburetor, I have it back at home and it works and starts fine. From now on when I get done using it , I will pour out the gas and then start and run it dry. The shop told me that if i do this procedure, then it should start even after prolonged storage. I am spoiled by the Husky 1977 240 model chainsaw that has started EVERY time, even after 5 to 7 years of storage. It works every time without hassle. I wish husky made a small commercial grade tiller. haha all i can say it's not a Husky! I was hoping better from Stihl. Oh just fyi, I do not have to run the husky dry, It will start and run on bad gas. It simply works and works every time in all conditions.

Interesting. I've had the exact OPPOSITE experience. I literally threw my last Husky string trimmer out with the trash. I only kept the funky tools needed to adjust the carbs on them. It should be a hint to me that you can now buy Husky about everywhere except the 7-11 store. Heck, maybe they sell them too. In my book, Husky has been nothing but total and complete junk! I own probably 10-12 Stihl products and have never had a single issue with a single one of them. Oh, I forgot, I do have 1 Husky product left; a backpack blower. It starts and runs fine, but it's because it has a Kawasaki engine. The only thing "Husqvarna" about it is the name on it. However, it's about as powerful as blowing through a straw when compared to my Stihl BR600 backpack blower.

I'm guessing that earlier posts about that stinking ethanol in your gas has caused your problem. Ask anyone who makes a living out of repairing small engines, or even boat engines for that matter, will tell you the same thing. This adding ethanol crap to our gas destroys your engines and runs the price up on food to the point where poor people have to decide whether to pay their utility bills or eat, since corn is so high priced due to our totally foolish government putting it towards fuel. Besides, it's been proven beyond any debate that it takes 1.3 gallons of fossil fuel to make 1 gallon of ethanol that only has about 70% the BTU's per gallon as the fuel that was burned to make it. Ethanol is so bad that I'd buy a diesel chain saw if I had a choice! Oh, BTW, you do know what rotted out your pump bulb, don't you? Guaranteed, ethanol in your fuel. That's the first thing it destroys as it begins to destroy your engine. I pay the $0.26 more per gallon and buy from one of the 3 local gas stations we have left that offer 100% gasoline. I have no problems with my small engines and I get about 4 mpg better fuel mileage in my car with it.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #17  
Green my butt. they will convert the planet to green by destroying ALL small engines

I completely agree with you and have to wonder if destroying all older 2 cycle engines isn't a goal of the government tree huggers anyway. Nobody can convince me that the government cares that they destroy a lot of equipment with their ethanol laced gas that people can't afford to replace right now. It doesn't effect those at the top. If ***** can afford to have his busses that cost a couple million each flown around the country for photo ops, the government isn't concerned about cost containment.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #18  
Dargo:
1.3 gallons of fossil fuel to make 1 gallon of ethanol that only has about 70% the BTU's per gallon as the fuel that was burned to make it.

Was not aware gasoline was used to make ethanol. I thought it was being made from corn and sugar cane with sugar cane being the best producer of ethanol. Since American farmers don't grow large acres of sugar cane but do grow large acres of corn ethanol in the US is being produced from corn. I am aware that it takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol to produce the same BTU's as one gallon of gasoline.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #19  
Dargo:
1.3 gallons of fossil fuel to make 1 gallon of ethanol that only has about 70% the BTU's per gallon as the fuel that was burned to make it.

Was not aware gasoline was used to make ethanol. I thought it was being made from corn and sugar cane with sugar cane being the best producer of ethanol. Since American farmers don't grow large acres of sugar cane but do grow large acres of corn ethanol in the US is being produced from corn. I am aware that it takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol to produce the same BTU's as one gallon of gasoline.

How do you think the corn was planted, harvested, dried, transported, processed etc. Ethanol is not a naturally occurring substance. It has to be made. The generally agreed upon figure is that it takes 1.3 gallons of fossil fuel (mostly diesel, not gasoline) to produce 1 gallon of lower energy per gallon and highly corrosive ethanol.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #20  
I have seen numbers ranging from 0.95 gallons - 1.3 gallons of diesel per gallon of ethanol produced. Even at 0.95, it makes no sense, especially with what it does to small engines, how it affects food prices, etc.

The only real reason we do ethanol is political.

Ken