Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I figured there was nothing better to do in the middle of Hurricane Irene than to do the 600 hour service on my L39. At 606 hours it seemed like perfect timing. I got through EVERYTHING...but the brake adjustment. Both turn buckles will not budge. I backed off the lock nuts and tried to give them a twist and they resist. I am using a standard length 14mm wrench and exerting pretty much all I can on them. Then I put a pipe on the wrench and gave it a whirl. No dice. I didn't go balls out on the pipe, since it just didn't feel "right" and I don't want to break anything. I gave them a shot of penetrating oil and decided "the brakes still work" for the time being. Any suggestions?
ac

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #2  
Not the first time we've seen that! Make sure all the paint is cleaned away and just spray it again.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #3  
I figured there was nothing better to do in the middle of Hurricane Irene than to do the 600 hour service on my L39. At 606 hours it seemed like perfect timing. I got through EVERYTHING...but the brake adjustment. Both turn buckles will not budge. I backed off the lock nuts and tried to give them a twist and they resist. I am using a standard length 14mm wrench and exerting pretty much all I can on them. Then I put a pipe on the wrench and gave it a whirl. No dice. I didn't go balls out on the pipe, since it just didn't feel "right" and I don't want to break anything. I gave them a shot of penetrating oil and decided "the brakes still work" for the time being. Any suggestions?
ac

Let me know how you make out. I have the same problem. Can't budge the turnbuckle. I guess I'll get the propane torch out if the penetrating oil doesn't loosen it up.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #4  
Let me know how you make out. I have the same problem. Can't budge the turnbuckle. I guess I'll get the propane torch out if the penetrating oil doesn't loosen it up.

My suggestion also....... heat if penetration oil doesn't work.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #5  
Please post a photo of where you're working. I know that on the BX series the only way to make the adjustment is to remove the cotter pin holding the rear end of the turnbuckle to the chassis, and then you can rotate the turnbuckle.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL
Please post a photo of where you're working. I know that on the BX series the only way to make the adjustment is to remove the cotter pin holding the rear end of the turnbuckle to the chassis, and then you can rotate the turnbuckle.

On the L39 it APPEARS to be a real turnbuckle:
Turnbuckle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where 2 threaded rods enter a common female threaded sleeve. It APPEARS as though turning the sleeve should lengthen or shorten the overall length. This is inline with what the manual says.

I think it is time to break out the propane...followed by the MAPP...and eventually the acetylene.

ac

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #7  
If you can release the rod that's attached to the chassis, you might be surprised to see how well it works. The assembly on the BX worked easily when I did that.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL
If you can release the rod that's attached to the chassis, you might be surprised to see how well it works. The assembly on the BX worked easily when I did that.

I'll look into that. If I remove only 1 side, then the link would not be shortened equally from each side. Removing both sides looks like a significant undertaking.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #9  
trust me, the turnbuckle on my BX was an odd creature indeed. I was able to adjust it without difficulty when I got one end free.

/ Kubota Brake Adjustment: FAIL #10  
I have the same problem. Dealer quoted $100 in parts to fix it. I will be applying heat, soon.