How much does an acre of land go for in your area?

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #91  
A note from the wealthy barber is taken here... doesn't apply to everyone... a lot of people buy and sell to gain equity... spending a lot on additional fees/lawyers/taxes/bank fees etc. if you pick the location and improve over the long haul you may gain a better percentage. Just say'in...

An excellent point. We looked very seriously at selling and puchasing a 100 acre farm which I loved when I saw it. When I added up the costs in real estate fees, lawyer fees, land transfer tax and moving costs, that alone added up to over $80k!!!! I'd love the additional land and much nicer land (paddock I was going to move cows to tomorrow is flooded again with big storm last night :-( ). That is a lot of money to lose however - for no real good reason.

Just think about the size of cabbed tractor I could buy with $80k!

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #92  
They've been trying to sell those subdivision lots down there by Datil forever. Glad they got rid of one.

When you say "got rid of one" you make it sound like there is a problem with that area. Well huh?

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #93  
I paid $10,500/acre for 10 acres of flat pasture in the North Sacramento Valley in late 2004. Price now is around $7K/acre based on the reassessment forced by Prop 13 due to the real estate slump.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #94  
The most expensive land on a per acre basis is probably cemetery plots.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #95  
What a shame, I hope that never happens to the area I live in. So many times I hear from young people around here that we're never going to grow and be more prosperous in our area. Well,. I say if seeing my property values go so far up that I have to sell, then why should I care if we don't grow any more. In fact, I kinda liken things to "turnips and rice."

Turnips fall down when you cook them, rice rises up; I like turnips!!!

Hi Herd, I have to agree with you on that regard. My place is over near Cottageville, and as much as I would like to see growth from Summerville to Walterboro, I sure don't want my taxes to go up. But to answer the OP question, I think we're right around $4500 an acre in the 15-20 acre range.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #96  
When you say "got rid of one" you make it sound like there is a problem with that area. Well huh?

I remember seing a large sign near Roswell N.Mex. Nice little 100 section ranch for sale.
Also talking to a rancher after a good rain He called it a time to sell rain. There is a reason flowers bloom with in 3 days after a rain. may not be another that year.
ken

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #97  
I bought 8 additional acres by my home for $5000 an acre a couple of years ago but this was an unusual deal.

Where land is subdivided into 1 acre lots here they sell for about $80,000 per acre but they had a couple of 200+ acre spreads selling for $16,000 per acre.

Land 1/2 mile away from me across the Mississippi is selling for $400,000 for a 1/2 acre lot.

I have 160 acres of timberland in the Ozark National Forest in the mountains of Northwest Arkansas with great deer hunting and a site where a home could go with a great view bordering on a creek and with blacktop access. I have had it listed for sale for a year now and only want $1000 per acre but so far, no buyers.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #98  
Local state college just bought 1/3 acre for over $600,000. State must have deep pockets.

mark

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #99  
It varies a great deal around here.

1-acre building lots in an upscale development near here are going in the $750,000 range.

I looked at a place a few weeks ago, just over 100 acres, for less than $600 an acre. It was at one point 20+ years ago on the EPA "Superfund" list. (Now considered clean"...just not my cup of tea though)

I sold 188 acres 6 years ago for 1.4 mil. It was essentially a pile of rocks, but on the fringes of a booming industrial park. Paid $39,000 for it in 1969. Best "dumb luck move" I ever made! My father laughed at me when he first saw the place. Who's laughing now dad?

Turned right around and reinvested much of the proceeds of that on 45 acres (w/house and 2 barns)....$995,000

160 acres just down the road from the old farm is listed now for 2.2 mil.

Last year I bought 12 acres that adjoins the new place for $19,550 an acre, just sold a 1-acre lot off the corner of it for $45,000.

So, going rate is about whatever you have the nerve to ask, and whatever the buyer is willing to shell out.

Straight, clean, unimproved, productive farm land outside of "metro Louisville area" is selling in the $12,000 to $16,000 an acre range. A couple local "BIG TIME OPERATORS" who farm every speck of ground they can get ahold of are paying as much as $450 an acre cash rent. 2 years ago, $125 was the going rate here. When corn prices start free-falling, we'll be attending their bankruptcy auction.

/ How much does an acre of land go for in your area? #100  
80 acres of crop land in middle Iowa recently sold for $14,000 an acre.

Little to no developement potential.

Cash rent for some bank owned farmland in middle IL is set at $700 an acre for next year. :eek: