Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #11  
My goodness!!! Maybe I'm just not cautious (or paranoid?;)) enough. But I just posted my ad and included my home phone number.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #12  
My goodness!!! Maybe I'm just not cautious (or paranoid?;)) enough. But I just posted my ad and included my home phone number.

so do i, and ive never had any real issues. Im good at hanging up on people

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #13  
Aren't you a retired policeman? The sort of low-lifes who are always in trouble with the law have discovered Craigslist along with all the good people. Reading my local CL, I occasionally see posts warning others to avoid problems they encountered such as a bad check with bogus contact info, or horse transport that never arrived at the other end. A more frequent warning is to avoid a garden equipment 'rebuilder' who buys junk cheap and resells with a warranty he doesn't support, or against the guy who advertises he will travel to pick up your free pet rabbit etc - then butchers it for his table.

When I have gone to buy farm implements the seller often comments that he was offered a cashier's check sight unseen exceeding his asking price. (The scam here is the buyer wants the excess sent back to him immediately. Of course his 'shipping agent' never shows up. And it takes your bank a month to determine the cashier's check you deposited was worthless.)

Aside from these local issues, any Deere or Kubota that look underpriced will show in Google as a bogus ad that is running on many CL's nationwide simultaneously.

You probably have a cop's intuition to avoid getting scammed, but not everybody does.

I wrote about controlling the transaction from beginning to end because that prevents a lot of mischief from ever getting started. That approach served me well when I had rentals. For example 'I'll be over there at 5:30, come by and take a look' instead of saying 'what time do you want me to go over to the rental and wait for you?'

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #14  
I guess maybe its the part of the world you live in ... I sell and buy on CL and always put my name and phone number in the ad.

I have been for years and have no problems ... sure some spam emails just delete them. I find that buyers want to call and ask about the item.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #15  
I guess maybe its the part of the world you live in ... I sell and buy on CL and always put my name and phone number in the ad.

I have been for years and have no problems ... sure some spam emails just delete them. I find that buyers want to call and ask about the item.

i find the same thing. As a buyer id be Leary of someone that is afraid to list their phone number....like does the item even exist or not.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones
Thanks to all for the info & pointers. Several things I hadn't considered.

Not paranoid about the whole security thing, but don't want to hold the door open for the next scammer/perv to take a shot either. I live in a fairly rural area, a place where you would think 'that type of thing doesn't happen around here' but it does happen, and I'm talking worse than having your tractor stolen... I like the idea of asking for the phone number through email or using google voice and screening the calls. Will have to give that one some thought.

I suppose the decision to hold something for a buyer would depend on the situation, whether they made/offered a deposit, etc. But if there's even a hint of flake, probably hang up or show them the road.

Thanks again - appreciate all the help.
Greg

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #17  
I don't see anything wrong with taking a deposit to hold something. I would just ask an amount to cover costs if things go weird. Maybe $50 to hold a tractor for a week for example, or $100 for a month. Whatever it takes to get the thing sold, no problem.

But it is imperative to give a receipt - with signed copies for both of you - stating that the deposit is non-refundable regardless of anything.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #18  
I've sold a few things through CL. I always use a Yahoo account and never...never..put my phone number on the website.
I never let buyers in the house either...the items for sale are always in a garage.

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #19  
I've sold a few things through CL. I always use a Yahoo account and never...never..put my phone number on the website.
I never let buyers in the house either...the items for sale are always in a garage.

you hiding something in that house that you dont want us to see :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

/ Selling on CL / Prepaid Cell Phones #20  

i find the same thing. As a buyer id be Leary of someone that is afraid to list their phone number....like does the item even exist or not.

This got me curious so I just now looked through the CL tractor ads (Northern California). About half the private ads had phone numbers.

Looking at the photos, I didn't have any doubt that the tractors without phone numbers were real. Those sellers just seemed to be the type who will only share their privacy with real potential buyers, rather than advertise what they have on their ranch and how to find it to every stranger out there. Maybe nobody is home there until after work, for example.

With some 12 million people in the region, its reasonable to assume there are a few who might steal something if they knew how to find you.