Hose Maintenance

/ Hose Maintenance #1  

Machold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 & B7400
Can't find enough info on hose care & maintenance. Visual inspection tells me all is ok. But is visual enough? Any tips, advice, pointers? I hate the tought of hydraulic failure at the moment of lifting a load.

/ Hose Maintenance #2  
I just check the hoses for being dry an cracking, just check the hoses the other day.

/ Hose Maintenance #3  
Perhaps other members have a different method, but when I check the hoses visibly I checked for cracks, cuts, scrapes; especially where the hose bends. I also pay close attention to the area around the clamp area.:)

/ Hose Maintenance #4  
Perhaps other members have a different method, but when I check the hoses visibly I checked for cracks, cuts, scrapes; especially where the hose bends. I also pay close attention to the area around the clamp area.:)
YES> Any cyclic bending enforced around a hard or abrupt area. Also, any out of roundness in the cross section indicates a probably pinch and pressure cycling will have it leaking shortly. Cuts or scrapes generally dont damage the steel reinforcement, but you have to keep the weather out or the steel will degrade.
larry

/ Hose Maintenance #5  
Even hoses that have cracks, doesn't mean that they are bad. There are a lot of hyd hoses that are over 20 years old, with cracks and still working the same with no leaks.

Ozone will affect the rubber on the hoses no matter what you do.

Covering the hoses with a protective sleeve or wrap will help some, but will hide leaks.

If one is that concerned about the hoses, then replace it, or at least have a replacement ready.

Bulk hose and replaceable fittings is a good investment for quick repairs.

Replacing hoses every time you see a crack will get very expensive .

/ Hose Maintenance #6  
The extent of my inspection is just visual. But not really looking at the hose condition, rather looking for wet/oily areas that indicate a leak.

The outer rubber is only ONE part of the hose construction. There is an inner rubber liner, and a steel braid around that, and then the outer jacket.

With hydraulic hoses, I use the mentality, if it aint broke, dont fix it. Or rather if it aint leaking, dont worry about it.

I have seen hoses that looked terrible. Steel braids showing, rubber falling off, etc and they didnt leak.

I have also seen hoses that appeared BRAND new fail. Due to the interior liner failing.

/ Hose Maintenance #7  
I think I have replaced just about every hose that came on my Vietman Yanmar rebuiltwith V3 FEL and every blown hose looked like new- no cracks worn spots, etc. just a pin hole blow out. I was surprised to see that all the hoses were made in USA. I cant remember what rating the original hoses had (maybe 2200 PSI )but all my replacement were rated higher PSI than the original hoses and I havent busted one of them yet.

/ Hose Maintenance #8  
JJ, I have been having NAPA make up my hoses. I have been putting off replacing some hoses because of the cost involved. Can you point me to where I can order bulk hose and replaceable fittings? Is there a preferred brand/type of replaceable fitting? Can the hoses be made up without special tools?

/ Hose Maintenance #10  
Thanks for the response JJ. After my post I did some more reading and found the discounthydraulichose website. As soon as I can verify the sizes I need and the quantities, I plan to place an order.