Wish me luck or a fast ambulance.

/ Wish me luck or a fast ambulance.
Don,What formula, if any, do you use to determine what your maximum heart rate should be for your age while exercising?

Max HR = 220 - age

I'm almost able to reach my max now 8 months after my heart attack. I'm not pushing it, just letting it come naturally, taking my time.

Several weeks after my heart attack my pulse would get to 110 while walking, I couldn't catch my breath and felt bad. For those first couple of weeks I really did not know what to expect and knew if this was going to be the best I could do there was no way I could stay out here in the country and maintain it. I kept thinking about my hospital blood test that had elevated enzymes that showed heart muscle death and the irregular heart rhythm. Being monitored closely during cardiac rehab and the consistency of exercise while gradually increasing intensity and time really helped my heart and my confidence, along with my diet. Now those thoughts don't even cross my mind.

I did a lot of research those first few months and this is the most encouraging e-mail I received:

"...I would like for you to know that 20% of heart attack victims have a recurrent event within one year and 85% fail to make any lifestyle changes!
It looks like you are different and that you are taking charge of your health. We are determined to offer you as much support as we can!..... your coronary disease is preventable and can be reversed......Regular exercise and a healthy, low fat diet in addition to medication (if needed) are the "silver bullet" that can stop and reverse coronary artery disease.
All my best,

Stefano Sdringola, MD
Weatherhead Distinguished University Chair
Associate Professor of Medicine and
Associate Director Weatherhead P.E.T. Center for
Preventing and Reversing Atherosclerosis"

Last edited:
   / Wish me luck or a fast ambulance. #162  
The hamburger is black beans, tomatoes, carrots, oatmeal, cilantro, green onions, garlic, and other spices baked in the oven on parchment paper for 10 minutes and broiled for 3 minutes. The chips on the plate are about 1/3 of a potato.

Don,

Did you use black beans from a can? I did not see any "no salt added" choices on the grocery shelf. The only "no salt added" were uncooked bagged black beans.

Don

Don, I think there is one but I don't have it in my pantry now. When I find it again I post it. When the can beans do have salt added we first rinse them before using them.

Went to the 23rd annual vegetarian/vegan chili cook off today near Austin. Even eating in a friendly environment like that I had to be cautious of added nuts and oils. Luckily 90% of the 20 entrants fit the diet.

You have vegetarians and vegans but this diet does not fit their description.
We need to think of a name for this plant-base-low-fat-no added oils heart diet.
Maybe something like CardioVeg, any other suggestions?

/ Wish me luck or a fast ambulance. #164  
   / Wish me luck or a fast ambulance. #166  
You have vegetarians and vegans but this diet does not fit their description. We need to think of a name for this plant-base-low-fat-no added oils heart diet. Maybe something like CardioVeg, any other suggestions?

Maybe The Survegalist Diet.

(like survivalist)

I like that, it adds a little more urgency to the diet. It also does not limit the diet to just the heart since this diet also positively effects diabetes and blood pressure, and obesity.

/ Wish me luck or a fast ambulance. #168  
I like that, it adds a little more urgency to the diet. It also does not limit the diet to just the heart since this diet also positively effects diabetes and blood pressure, and obesity.

The bean flatulence factor probably increases your speed around the track.:laughing:

The bean flatulence factor probably increases your speed around the track.:laughing:

Not for me, just the ones behind me, needing badly to pass me up.:D

We have a winning recipe for a desert/snack.

Cinnamon buns - plant-based-fat free.

Whole Wheat, Fat Free Vegan Cinnamon Buns Recipe | HappyHerbivore.com

The changes I made were:

I made smaller buns, mini-buns, I rolled out 2 small rolls instead of one large one and cut them 3/4" thick.
I doubled the filling. Don't put the raisins in the filling, It's very hard to spread, so after you spread the filling on the dough sprinkle the raisin before you roll them.
I eliminated the greasing of the pan and instead sprinkled wheat germ on the bottom of the pan so they would not stick.
I let the rolls rise for 30 minutes before cooking them.

(The 6g of fat in the entire batch is from the whole wheat flour.)

Make sure you make enough because even the ones not on the diet will gobble them up.

Below is a picture of a double recipe. One to share and one to not share.:)
They also freeze well.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• cinnamon buns.jpg
    cinnamon buns.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 57