what do you do for fuel storage?

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #91  
I used to have a 500 G tank & gasboy back in the 90's, but when I reduced the size of my business, I let it go.
I found in the end it wasn't worth it unless we were really going through a ton of fuel. The tanks did tend to get condensation in them, too. Todays diesels are really sensitive and expensive to fixt if they get dirty fuel, too.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #92  
I use the 50 gallon transportable tanks from TSC for diesel and for aircraft and equipment fuels. I load them in the back of my pickup with the boom on my tractor. I rigged bottom supports and hook eyelets to lift them. Since they are emptied fairly regularly condensation has not been a problem. However, I do use water separating, micron, fuel filters on them and a fuel stablilizer in the winter. It has worked for me for 10+ years. I use 93 octane ethanol-free gasoline for the aicraft and various mowers, blowers, chainsaws, ad infinitum small engines. It appears to work quite well as some of my equipment is approaching the 30 year mark and still functions.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #93  
I bought a small boat trailer, shortened the tongue, welded in a few crossmembers and put 14 ga plate on top. I bought the 100 gallon fuel tank from TSC and put on a rotary hand pump with an automatic shut off nozzle. I just park it between my tractors and fill up at the end of the day.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #94  
I bought my first truck a 1957 International PU. back in 1968.
I have always owned at least one ever since.
With owning a piece of land, I don't see how I would get by without owning a truck. I am constantly needing to haul something to or from the property. For me, it is not about whether or not I want a truck... it's an outright necessity.

I have A 55 gallon set up.
I never have to haul it anywhere to fill it as it is self filling.
I store my diesel fuel in a 50 gallon tank that was in a pick up that I bought. It came with a handpump that leaked. I bought a 12 volt electric pump at a auction sale for $25.00, bought some hose, nozzle and an inline filter. Installed the pump and started pumping fuel.
I will take it in to town to fill it
I will hook up the pump and recirculate the fuel to mix up the Howes with the fuel. It works good and I have about $120.00 into a fuel tank. :D

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #95  
Plastic 5 gallon yellow diesel jerry can in the garage, at least until I get a shed built for the tractor.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #96  
Plastic 5 gallon yellow diesel jerry can in the garage, at least until I get a shed built for the tractor.

Me too! A good weekend uses up about 5 gallons so I just put the can in the trunk of my car and fill it up on the way home on Monday, and I try to fill it up on Monday so the tractors tank stays mostly full most of the time. I find the diesel doesn't really smell that much at all anymore? Did removing the sulfur get rid of the smell?
I see some big trucks filling up at my regular gas station so I think they go through diesel at a reasonable rate

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #97  
"I see some big trucks filling up at my regular gas station so I think they go through diesel at a reasonable rate"

I go where the "Big Boys", contractors, and school buses are regular patrons, and I use a 5G yellow jerry can. Fuel stays fresh and the station is on top of seasonal "mix" adjustments.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #98  
I saw this company at the Moultrie Georgia Sunbelt Ag Expo: Fuel Trailers and Service Trailers by Thunder Creek Equipment

If I remember correctly a trailer that hauls around 400 to 500 gallons of diesel costed around $5000. The salesman said that people can use it to store diesel in it. If you divide $5000 / 500 gallons, that equals $10 per gallon storage. It costs about $22 for a 5 gallon jug to haul jugs of diesel fuel like I do currently (if I remember correctly). CORRECTION: The cost for the jerry jugs cost 44% per gallon of what it costs using a fuel trailer on a per gallon basis, only considering the cost of the storage container jerry jug versus the storage container fuel trailer.

I would really like one of those being it had electric trailer brakes on it. These trailers can come equiped with a pump that runs off of the power from the car or truck.

Last edited:
   / what do you do for fuel storage? #99  
I don't know what the tank trailer cost vs 5 gallon Jerry can cost is trying to show.

My Jerry can cost about $5 at Lowes; and since that was on the way home from work, cost for transportation was less than 50 cents of gasoline.

Cost to fill the Jerry can is only the cost of diesel fuel since there are at least 10 stations on the direct route between work and home.

/ what do you do for fuel storage? #100  
I don't know what the tank trailer cost vs 5 gallon Jerry can cost is trying to show.

My Jerry can cost about $5 at Lowes; and since that was on the way home from work, cost for transportation was less than 50 cents of gasoline.

Cost to fill the Jerry can is only the cost of diesel fuel since there are at least 10 stations on the direct route between work and home.

I will have to check it out sometime at Lowes the next time I am there.