PULLING

/ PULLING #51  
That's interesting - I always prefered cutting in the snow. No skeeters, no mud, the chaps don't make me sweat buckets and the woods filled with snow has a nice way of muffling the harsh note of the saw ...

Oh I'm with ya there, don't like to cut wood in the mud or when it's hot. Best cutting is 40ish and dry. Like others said, gotta have traction. :)

/ PULLING #52  
Deadhorse,

I would have put the hooks higher if I could have. I have my hand on the 3pt lever when pulling so aren't worried about tipping over backwards. I know the Safety Police will be all over this statement, but, I never pull off my fixed drawbar, always pull on the 3pt. Also frequently have the front tires off the ground. That's how I "roll", PUN INTENDED!!! :p

That is exactally how I pull too. Some may think it is unsafe. But experience, knowing your equipment, and the FEL on and I dont feel it is unsafe at alll=.

For pulling I use a 20 foot long chain. I back my tractor up as close as I can get to the log,put it in 3-HI and let her fly. Oh I also lock the rear diff too. Even with the FEL on it sometime it will lift the front a few feet. Thats what makes it fun!!! I dont pull from the 3 point though.

This I do think is unsafe:confused2: IF I am understanding you correctly.

You hook up the 20' chain and then back ALL the way up, giving you about a 15 feet funning start in 3H (which is probabally 10MPH or so) and just jerk on the log??????

How long do your log chains last???? I know I have snapped more than one 3/8" GR70 chain no doing anything nearly as extreme as that??? You are pretty lucky you havent gotten a chain hook to the back of the head yet.

And how long do your tractors stay in one peice.

Not to self.......never buy a used tractor off of knight rider.

/ PULLING #53  
That is exactally how I pull too. Some may think it is unsafe. But experience, knowing your equipment, and the FEL on and I dont feel it is unsafe at alll=.

This I do think is unsafe:confused2: IF I am understanding you correctly.

You hook up the 20' chain and then back ALL the way up, giving you about a 15 feet funning start in 3H (which is probabally 10MPH or so) and just jerk on the log??????

How long do your log chains last???? I know I have snapped more than one 3/8" GR70 chain no doing anything nearly as extreme as that??? You are pretty lucky you havent gotten a chain hook to the back of the head yet.

And how long do your tractors stay in one peice.

Not to self.......never buy a used tractor off of knight rider.

No not just on the log, pretty much anything I hook to. And yes Ive broken chains before. Had one break and come through the back window of my truck before lol. I have a 20 foot 1/2 inch chain that hasnt failed me yet. As far as the tractor goes, jerking with a chain is probably the easiest work this tractor has ever seen. We've played tug of war before with my Long and the Oliver. Both still run just fine although the old Oliver has seen better days

/ PULLING #54  
No not just on the log, pretty much anything I hook to. And yes Ive broken chains before. Had one break and come through the back window of my truck before lol. I have a 20 foot 1/2 inch chain that hasnt failed me yet. As far as the tractor goes, jerking with a chain is probably the easiest work this tractor has ever seen. We've played tug of war before with my Long and the Oliver. Both still run just fine although the old Oliver has seen better days

That has got to be about the dumbest thing I think I have heard on TBN.

But hey, if it works for you, so be it.

Just wondering though.....

Who taught you how to operate a tractor?? And how to pull things with it???

I am actually suprised that I am the only one who has commented about this so far.

/ PULLING #55  
Like some have said twisted clevis needed to hook up old pull type plows. They have a spring loaded trip mechanism on the dog you drop into the clevis. Hit a big rock or other snag, the dog unlatches, plow stays, tractor jumps ahead. Then go back and figure out why it tripped, take care of the problem, hook up and go.

Actually the tractor with the most back flips from hooking to the 3 point is the old Ford 8N. All companies cover their butt nowadays with the warning to pull only from the drawbar and to use the 3point only for implements designed for 3 point that won't let you flip backward.

/ PULLING #56  
I have my hand on the 3pt lever when pulling so aren't worried about tipping over backwards.

Your just fooling yourself. Ain't no way the 3pt will react fast enough. Let alone your hand to eye reaction time.

/ PULLING #57  
That has got to be about the dumbest thing I think I have heard on TBN.

But hey, if it works for you, so be it.

Just wondering though.....

Who taught you how to operate a tractor?? And how to pull things with it???

I am actually suprised that I am the only one who has commented about this so far.

Nobody really taught me. My Long tractor is the first real tractor that Ive owned. (The old Oliver doesnt count) Ive been aroung farms and heavy equipment my whole life so it comes natural to me. I was fortunate to get the owners manual with my tractor too so that helps. What exactly do you think is dumb?

/ PULLING #58  
What exactly do you think is dumb?

Do you really have to ask:confused:
A running start and jerking on whatever you may be pulling:confused2:

farms and heavy equipment my whole life so it comes natural to me.

If you worked on any farm around here, the first time they saw you doing your "running start and jerk" stunt, they'd fire you on the spot.

I was fortunate to get the owners manual with my tractor too so that helps.

So your owners manual says a 10mph running start and jerk is acceptable???

/ PULLING #59  

Because the rest of us are stunned, privately shaking our heads and have come to the conclusion that there is zero upside to a conversation with a guy who brags about such behavior.

/ PULLING #60  
Because the rest of us are stunned, privately shaking our heads and have come to the conclusion that there is zero upside to a conversation with a guy who brags about such behavior.

point well taken:thumbsup:

I just figured I'd say something in-case some newbie reads this and thinks that it is acceptable to do since no-one said otherwise