PULLING

/ PULLING #61  
I grooved my tires about six months ago. I maintain Jeep trails frequently and was looking for better traction on hard packed Missouri clay.

Maintain Jeep trails?

If you do that, is it still a Jeep trail?

:)

Bruce

Last edited:
   / PULLING #62  
point well taken:thumbsup:

I just figured I'd say something in-case some newbie reads this and thinks that it is acceptable to do since no-one said otherwise

While not wanting to pick on the fella, I thought about it and have to agree with you that his expressed pulling technique is the most dangerous and dumbest thing I have read here.

Every once in a while posters are guilty of talking out of the respective anuses, usually due to ignorance. Some guys do get belligerent or stubborn about it, and I don't feel the need to argue with them as it is like wrasseling in the mud with a porcine. You ain't gonna win, cause said porker likes it.

Thing is, when a man brags about beating up on his equipment and doing something incredibly dangerous, I have to believe he is basically full of carp and just looking for some attention.

Therein, my reaction. Also, It is likely no one would actually behave this way and survive being around farm equipment very long.

/ PULLING #63  
I'm with LD1 on this one. A solid jerk on a chain from 20 feet and 10 mph is the way to start busting equipment up. There are times when you may need to slack the chain a little (like let it sag on the ground) in order to let your momentum break something loose, but most of the time you're just putting more stress on it than you need to. If your tractor will pull whatever it is that needs pulling, it should pull it without the jerk.

/ PULLING #64  
I got given my first tractor and had never before had one. I started breaking stuff pretty soon, and then fixing stuff. It took me some time to stop breaking so many things. Fixing the stuff was bad enough, but the parts were expensive. The worst thing was, when it was broken, I didn't have a tractor to use. I benefited greatly from my OJT (on the job training). A wiser man than I once said: "Education is expensive, however you come by it."

/ PULLING #65  
And old farmer / stone mason who had already "paid all his tuition bills' told me early on: " the fastest way to move a heavy load is SLOOOOOOOOoooooooooowly"

/ PULLING #66  
I actually thought he was pulling everyones leg. The only folks I have ever heard of jerking is 4 wheeler mudder who use a long nylon strap to"jerk" a stuck vehicle out when the cant get enough traction to just pull them. The nylon takes the hard snap out by slowing stretching. Doing that with a chain will usually either leave the chain in two pieces or your tow/towed vehicle in two or more pieces.

/ PULLING #68  
I actually thought he was pulling everyones leg. The only folks I have ever heard of jerking is 4 wheeler mudder who use a long nylon strap to"jerk" a stuck vehicle out when the cant get enough traction to just pull them. The nylon takes the hard snap out by slowing stretching. Doing that with a chain will usually either leave the chain in two pieces or your tow/towed vehicle in two or more pieces.

That is the only way I will jerk. With a nylon "snatch-strap" about 30' or 40' long:thumbsup:

/ PULLING #69  
When I had my '52 Jeep and lived on the driving beach, I had 100 feet of 3/4" polypropylene with an eye spliced in both ends. I could slingshot heavy rigs from the high sand with no problem. Chains stretch not so much. A stretched chain is a ruined chain.

/ PULLING #70  
This what I used to keep "draw-bar" on 3PH from turning

No longer use now that I have made this for Q Hitch

Agree with MHarryE Broken axle about twisted clevis use we also used it to attach the hay mow ropes to tractor

Attachments

• TRACTOR-1.jpg
    TRACTOR-1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 128
  • TRACTOR-2.jpg
    TRACTOR-2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 121