B3030 difficulty steering under load

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #21  
My B3030HSDC does the same thing. Loader full, stiff
steering. Annoying, but I suspect not fatal.

Bill

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #22  
Looking back over your descriptions, how do all the tie rods/ends look? That B8200 that I used to have only had a few grease-able fitting, which I greased regularly because it had Armstrong Steering. This 40hp NH I have now, has dozens and dozens of grease points. Is it possible your tractor has some front end parts that need greasing?

When you changed fluid/filter, did you stay with the same fluid and filter? Maybe you got heavier fluid that does not circulate as well, or a filter that is more restrictive?

Is the whole tractor on one pump? If so, how does the loader, 3-point ect work?

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #23  
The B2710, B2910, B3030, B2630, B7800 and other models have a separate pump for steering. It is stacked on the hydraulic pump and uses the same suction line.

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #24  
So a change in fluid or filter could have an effect?

Do they also have a strainer? My B8200 had a strainer on the hydraulic line. But, that was two generations before the B2710/2910/3030. During a fluid change, had to remove a banjo fitting, then slip the strainer screen out, clean it ect.

The B2710, B2910, B3030, B2630, B7800 and other models have a separate pump for steering. It is stacked on the hydraulic pump and uses the same suction line.

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #25  
So a change in fluid or filter could have an effect?

Do they also have a strainer? My B8200 had a strainer on the hydraulic line. But, that was two generations before the B2710/2910/3030. During a fluid change, had to remove a banjo fitting, then slip the strainer screen out, clean it ect.

My B2710 had two strainers; one on each side.

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #26  
My B3200 exhibits some of the same tendencies, but it has power steering instead of full-hydraulic steering so on mine it is to be expected. I will say that on several B26's I've used the steering is always been easy even with a full bucket of dirt. (they use the exact same front axle and steering setup as the B3030) However, as I recall with max load in the bucket, on pavement and sitting still it was a bit hard to turn. If you were moving at all it wasn't hard. Also I think RPM has a bit to do with it, at idle it was a bit tougher.
About my only real advice is to check the line pressure to the cylinder. If you don't have a factory Kubota Workshop Manual already I'd suggest you get one, very helpful and worth the price.

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #27  
I looked at the diagram for your tractor on the coleman equip site and as a previous poster said it has its own dedicated pump and circuit. On smaller kubotas its a pain because everything ties together. This should be pretty easy to pressure test with a workshop manual or at the dealer.

Pressure test kits from kubota are priced out of this world so I would suggest you build your own from parts from northern tool or equivalent suppliers. Just need a high pressure gauge, hoses and the proper adapter and the WSM to tell you what pressures should be there. The only part I am not certain on is where they have you hook up to test. Or take it to the dealer.

Before that you may want to check the suction screens, and I also noticed it runs post the steering circuit into a oil cooler. You may want to make sure that isn't plugged somehow. Next I would make sure the hydraulic lines aren't pinched or bent either. If the pressure test is the route you go and it fails, it could either be the pump, the lines, or the relief valve that is in the steering controller.

Matt

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load
Thanks for all the advice.

I do have the workshop manual, don't have a pressure gauge. Went thru all the easy stuff - no leaks, full fluid etc.

When I jack the front wheels off the ground, I can turn them side to side with the engine off with moderate force, nothing appears to bind. I didn't notice any zerk fittings, perhaps I should give the ball joints some spray lube.

I'm suspecting the relief valve is kicking low or the hydrostatic steering gizmo isn't working correctly. Per the repair manual, neither appears to be servicable, just replace. It sounds like the relief is kicking in and the wheels kind of stutter, while you are muscling the steering wheel around.

As far as load, I had my front blower (300 #?- I can muscle it around 1 side at a time) on a pallet and it was doing it, we're not talking anywhere near the FEL capacity ~1,000# at the pins.

She has a date with the dealer, hopefully they can figure it out before the snow flies...

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load #29  
Hazmat...

...please let us know what the prognosis is from the dealer. Hopefully it won't be a major problem, presuming the dealer figures it out. Good luck...:thumbsup:

/ B3030 difficulty steering under load
will do, just got back from dropping her off. New truck tows beautifully - better fuel milage than my old F150 gasser empty! The integrated brake controller & the tow/haul mode on the new tranny are sweet.