Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #11  
I found a near new one of these for sale in my area for about 60% the cost of new with a couple extras. What do you guys think? How does this compare to the Lincoln Tombstone?

Hobart Welders - Products - Stick - Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC

Thanks.

Chris

I've been using one for about 5 years. No problems. An excellent welder. Used it Saturday on a wheel disc modification project.

IMG_1021 (Small).JPG

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #12  
What are these units worth in the US. There 699 here in canada. Im looking for one and also looking for the ironman 230 too for a new mig welder. Also sorry to hyjack this thread.

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC
204saskman said:
What are these units worth in the US. There 699 here in canada. Im looking for one and also looking for the ironman 230 too for a new mig welder. Also sorry to hyjack this thread.

They are $649 at TSC in Ontario and $499 at tractor supply in the US. I go to the US frequently but it's not worth buying it down there after I get hit with HST

C

Last edited:
Well I did the math. $110 cheaper to buy in the US after paying all taxes and exchange.
We get screwed on most things in Canada

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #15  
Well I did the math. $110 cheaper to buy in the US after paying all taxes and exchange.
We get screwed on most things in Canada

Im with you there. Im going down to minot and i was thinking about doing abit of shopping down there and a new mig/plasma/arc are on my want list and if i can save a fair chunk of change down there i will. Im al about supporting local companies but the price difference on product is unreal. I need to do back splash in our kitchen and the woman wants glass tiles but it 16/sq ft here. Priced in minot at 6.50/sq ft for same tile. Its hard to say no to it when it comes down to it.

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #16  
I paid $400 for my LX AC/DC welder on sale at Tractor Supply.

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #17  
I have one of those Hobart AC/DC boxes and it works great. I got it three years ago and it payed for itself on the first project when I built a trailer. I bought a new one from Northern Tool. The sheet metal wrapper was damaged in shipping and they offered it to me for $300 if I keep it, with all warrante still valid. I took the deal and had zero problem with the welder.

Man. You guys are killing me here. The cheapest used one I can find is $400.
I am going to Buffalo NY tomorrow. May drop by Tractor Supply in Lockport and check em out.

I noticed miller makes a thunderbolt 300/200amp. I wonder where I could score one of those. Much better chance I won't outgrow that. :)

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #19  
AC/DC WELDER / Lincoln Idealarc 250/250

If this is still up, grab the Idealarc and skip the Stickmate! :thumbsup: Stickmates are good, but Idealarc machines are a whole 'nother class.
Wonderful arc, and manuals are still available from Lincoln. They are tough and routinely outlive their owners.

They'll run off a 50A breaker (not maxed out, but you won't normally need to) and are fine commercial stick machines.

We trained structural and pipe welders using a fleet of the square top variety, and they make excellent scratch-start TIG machines.

I use crazedlist to aggregate craigslist results:

crazedlist.org : search craigslist like a madman

/ Opinions welcome. Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC #20  
... I noticed miller makes a thunderbolt 300/200amp. I wonder where I could score one of those. Much better chance I won't outgrow that. :)

I have never seen one of the 300/200 Thunderbolts for sale on the used market - most likely have to buy one of them new unless you were to get unusually lucky.

Plenty of good deals to be had on the older Miller Thunderbolt top cranks or the current version of the Miller Thunderbolt front crank which is also the same machine as the Hobart Stickmate.