Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #561  
A restaurant in Temple, Tx named Las Casas has something they call "white wings". It's a chicken breast wrapped around cheese and jalapeño then bacon wrapped around that. It's not dove breast but it's dang good.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #562  
Also, if they are White wings, you should be able to see a small strip of white on there wing .

If the white strip is missing, they are probably White-Tip doves. I've never seen any North of the Valley, but they're not called migratory birds for nothing. The White-Tips I've gotten have all been larger than White-Wings.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #563  
Jim, I have been doing as Bird and Don by mixing extra Sunflower into the mix. I notice allot of the finch type will get the millet seed. No doubt that most prefer the sunflower if they can get'em open. I have seen what looks like a titmouse (sp) taking sunflower seeds into the trees and cracking them against the tree!! industrious fellers. Probably the nutrition along with the increased amount of oils in those seeds.[/QUOTE]

Up this way bird seed that is suppossed to be a bargain usually contains a large percentage of Milo. People think it is Millet by the size and shape but if it is red colored it is Milo. Most birds don't like it and will toss it out of the feeders so it is just to increase the bag weight for more profit. It will attract Doves and they will clean it up off the ground. A recent marketing scheme is to put bird seed in bags that you can't see through before they are opened to hide the various types and quantities from view. Reading the labels doesn't
prove much.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #564  
if it is red colored it is Milo

This Morning Song brand that is put out by Scotts and I buy at Walmart has a great deal of what I would call "brown" seeds, but I wonder if it's the same thing you call "red". I don't have any seeds in mine that I would call red, but that doesn't mean I'm right.;)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #565  
This Morning Song brand that is put out by Scotts and I buy at Walmart has a great deal of what I would call "brown" seeds, but I wonder if it's the same thing you call "red". I don't have any seeds in mine that I would call red, but that doesn't mean I'm right.;)

Bird, by red I mean maize. That is what my Grandfather called it. It is harvested in the summer and I have shoveled a lot of it after he combined it. It looks like this:
PlantFiles: Picture #1 of Milo Maize, Grain Sorghum, Broom Corn, Shattercane (Sorghum bicolor)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #566  
A restaurant in Temple, Tx named Las Casas has something they call "white wings". It's a chicken breast wrapped around cheese and jalapeño then bacon wrapped around that. It's not dove breast but it's dang good.

I buy these at Brooshires Grocery store all the time from the Meat department. There is about a dozen variations of them and when they are on sale, you can get them for $2 each!!!!!

Eddie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #567  

Bird,
The redish-brown is the Milo. The white-tan is the Millet.
They are very close in size.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #568  
Bird,
The redish-brown is the Milo. The white-tan is the Millet.
They are very close in size.

Thanks, that's what I expected. So I've got a lot of Milo. The birds and squirrels do knock some of the seed out of the feeder onto the ground, but apparently something eats a lot of the milo, too.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Milo is a good cheap filler for the Seed bag company's, no doubt about that. I will buy the Mixes without it and add what I need for the few dove that hang around the yard. I usually will mix 1 bag in with the deer corn too, that way they have a food source away from the house. Come to think of it, I have never seen anything but dove eating the milo. Had a pet deer that would take a couple of mouth fulls, but pull out the 20 fish food and the deer would mop that up like BlueBell icecream:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #570  
Milo is a good cheap filler for the Seed bag company's, no doubt about that. I will buy the Mixes without it and add what I need for the few dove that hang around the yard. I usually will mix 1 bag in with the deer corn too, that way they have a food source away from the house. Come to think of it, I have never seen anything but dove eating the milo. Had a pet deer that would take a couple of mouth fulls, but pull out the 20 fish food and the deer would mop that up like BlueBell icecream:laughing:

Not promoting any companies but we got 5 bags of seed at TSC in the fall.
It was 15.99 for 50 pd bag and called Royal Wing Classic. It is a house brand that has White Millet, Milo, Wheat, cracked corn, and black oil sunflower seeds. The wheat is basically another filler but my wife says not a lot of it or Milo in the mix. There are no percentages on the bag so you get what they got in the batch in most respects.
The same stuff is 19.95 today in Denton, TX but could be a different blend.
What we are really paying for is the cost of diesel in the process and delivery path being so high.
We are surrounded by woods and enjoy Hairy, Downey, and Red Belly woodpeckers eating suet that we get at the grocery and keep in the freezer.
Hanging it in an old netted orange sack on the feeder pole really brings them and the other birds within 10 feet of the kitchen sink window.
A good article about which birds like which seeds is here The RSPB: Advice
Ron