Starting Problem with an MTD - Help!

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #1  

rgs03833

Gold Member
Tractor
MTD 660, 690 - John Deere 60, 70, 108, 2 of 111, 111h, STX38
Hi guys, I have an MTD that have a Starting isssues....

If I remove the Spark Plug, the Engine Turns freely. If I Put the Spark Plug back in, it Choke the Engine and it won't turn at all....

Battery is Fine, the Starter is Fine. I also took the Muffler off just to make sure the Air is passing through just incase some thing is stuck in the Muffler.

Can anyone tells me what is wrong?

What else should I take off?

I think the Engine is FLOODED! How would I fix it?

Thank you in advanced!

RGS

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #2  
Hi guys, I have an MTD that have a Starting isssues....

If I remove the Spark Plug, the Engine Turns freely. If I Put the Spark Plug back in, it Choke the Engine and it won't turn at all...."

Do you mean the engine wont turn with the starter?

"...Battery is Fine, the Starter is Fine. I also took the Muffler off just to make sure the Air is passing through just incase some thing is stuck in the Muffler..."

If the engine doesnt turn with the plug in it, it sounds like a weak battery or bad cell or weak starter. Unless the engine cyllinder got oil in it (by turning tractor on edge to hook up belts etc) which would increase your compression significantly. Can anyone tells me what is wrong?

What else should I take off? Nothing until I hear more from you.

I think the Engine is FLOODED! How would I fix it? Remove plug, heat it up and clean it. Let cyl dry out for some time. New plug and properly gapped. Check the smell of the gas and if it smells any bit like varnish it is most probably bad and you may need to drain tank and carb.

Thank you in advanced!

RGS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #3  
Put an amp meter on the cable to the starter. If it reads around 300 amps rather than around 100 amps when attempting to crank, adjust the valves.

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hi Zork, nice to see you on :)

I took a Pix so you can see what I took off :)

1. Battery is Charged + Battery Charger Starter mode is at 50Amp.

2. Start is fine, Spin Freely.

3. It only happened when I put the Spark Plug back in.

4. If I take the Spark Plug out. The Engine turn freely. If I put the Spark Plug back in. The Engine just Spin like 1 Rotation and then sound like it Choke, and would NOT start at all :(

5. There is Oil in the Pix before the Piston?, I don't know what those things call, it got Srping in it, but I think it let the Air in and then Burn it and then let out of the Exhuast.

When I remove that Cover, the Engine spin freely again.

Thank you !!!

Attachments

• 100_0250.JPG
    100_0250.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_0251.JPG
    100_0251.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0252.JPG
    100_0252.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_0253.JPG
    100_0253.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_0254.JPG
    100_0254.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 155
Put an amp meter on the cable to the starter. If it reads around 300 amps rather than around 100 amps when attempting to crank, adjust the valves.

It gave me Sparks. I don't have the Amp Meter, but I have a Voltage Meter... It only goes to 10AMPS on that one :(

I don't think it's the Battery.... Battery is FULL.

Can you tell me what Valve?

Thankx!!!

OK, here is what I did....

I lifted up the Tractor from the Back. The Oil started to drain out... Then I put the Cover back... Started the Tractor and it Fired up !!!

Yay!!! I think there is too much Oil inside the Engine, and when the Piston hit it, it clogged because it's too much Oil and it was unable to go up and down.

Gonna have to drain some more and then test it :)

Thank you !!!!

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #7  
Did the oil run out of where the plug is screwed in and connected?

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #8  
I had the same symptoms when my kids overfilled with oil.

It's easy to overfill doesn't take much

Did the oil run out of where the plug is screwed in and connected?

No, No Oil coming out of the Spark Plug, which I think is good, LOL

Anyway, I put that Cap back on and Turn the Engine, it fired right up and smokes lots of Oil.

I'm wondering if there is a Leakage somewhere? Is the Oil leaking into the Engine or something, is that possible? Maybe a Gasket?

What I did is I Lifted the Tractor from the Back and Put it on Two Cinder Blocks, one on each wheel. I let the Oil Drip a bit and Started the Engine and BAM... It starts up right away.

:thumbsup: :D:D:D

/ Starting Problem with an MTD - Help! #10  
I'm not sure why you took the valve cover off and I'm not sure what problems you are currently having. If you are draining the crankcase oil from the engine through the valve cover (now off and rear tires elevated) you did so incorrectly and probably allowed oil to enter the cylinder past the piston. Oil in the cylinder will cause the compression to increase substantially and maybe not start from the battery. Oil in the cylinder/piston ring grooves will cause the engine to smoke for 20-30 minutes. The way to properly change the oil is through the base plug or valve spigot attached to the crankcase.