A leak in my B21

/ A leak in my B21 #1  

mdbarb

Gold Member
Tractor
B21
I have a new (28 hrs) B21. Having just parked it on the brand new slab I noticed a small puddle under the 4 in 1. I raised the bucket a few inches and put some paper under it to find the leak. The next day the bucket was resting on the slab with the paper wet as shown in the attachment. Shouldn't the loader be able to stay up all night (sorry, no jokes) is this little leak causing the bucket to slowly lower. I've also noticed that when I bring the backhoe up tight then check on it after an hour of using the FEL it also is relaxed by a foot, but no leaks in the back. So assuming this new tractor shouldn't leak a bit, whats leaking, how do I fix it.
I'll call my dealer tomorrow, but he is a little ways away and I wanted to check with this astute group first

Attachments

• 2-27742-leak.jpg
    2-27742-leak.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 203
   / A leak in my B21 #2  
Looks like some good quality pictures, mdbarb, but I can't tell where the leak is coming from; whether it's a hose fitting loose, or is the seal in the cylinder leaking and running down the cylinder rod. I'd say the first thing to do is find the source of the leak and fix it; may be nothing more than a fitting that isn't tight enough. As the loader lowering overnight, there is a range that is considered within specifications, but I don't remember how many inches within what length of time. For it to lower on its own, it can be leaking past the seals within the cylinders, or leaking back through the loader valve (and for those two things, there would be no visible leak or loss of fluid). However, the other possibility is the loss of fluid that you're experiencing.

Bird

/ A leak in my B21
There are no leaks around the hose fittings and I can't detect and fluid on the cylinder rod itself. The only fluid is at the bottom of the short shaft running left to right at the end of the cylinder rod, but I wonder if there is even fluid normally residing inside around there or if the hoses aren't leaking then it MUST be from further up. Perhaps it just leaks for awhile after shutdown and by the time I check the cylinder rod has dried, I dunno...

/ A leak in my B21 #4  
I would say Bird has hit the areas I would guess. I think I would put a wrench on the fittings and check them. Less hassle to do yourself than have to get with the dealer. If it is a seal, let the dealer fix it.

My B21 will drop the backhoe some during a days work. Sounds about the same as yours. One week when I left our weekend home, I guess I forgot to lower the loader to the ground. The next week it was still a foot or so off the ground. I don't know how high it was when I left, but if it had been much more than that I would have noticed.

Let us know what happens. On the plus side it does not sound like a major problem.

MarkV

/ A leak in my B21 #5  
Well, looks like you checked the fittings and if all looks right and tight, I can only think of two things. It would have to be a seal or a small leak in one of the hoses. For the most part a hose will let you know when it is leaking in a big way. You might try starting the tractor and have someone work the loader through its functions while you hold paper near the area of the leak to see if there is a fine spray coming from one of the hoses. My guess is a little weeping from one of the seals.

MarkV

/ A leak in my B21 #6  
mdbarb, is that oil on the bottom of that horizontal shaft clear or dark colored? I don't have the 4 in 1 bucket myself, but isn't that a greaseable joint? And you do know that under certain circumstances (usually hot weather) some grease turns to oil. Is there a possiblity that you aren't losing any hydraulic oil, but only have a little oil from the grease? If it's hydraulic oil, it doesn't appear to be a bad enough leak to worry about losing too much, but I'd keep a check on the oil level anyway.

Bird

/ A leak in my B21
Bird
It is a thin almost clear fluid which I assume is hydraulic fluid and we have had a California cold snap recently (50-60 degrees /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif) but thanks for thinking. The leak isn't really bad enuf to panic about, other than the puddle on my new concrete and the nagging thought that something isn't perfect with my new tractor. I'll let you know how it all works out

/ A leak in my B21 #8  
I'll sure be curious as to what you find. It does sound as if it's hydraulic oil all right; I just can't figure out where it's coming from.

Bird

/ A leak in my B21
I finally got around to tracing the leak. It is not at any of the hoses but in the large cylinder arm to the FEL., My dealer suggest he fix it when I bring it in for the 50 hour tuneup.
Now I'm thinking I'll do the 50 hour myself which is probably a coupla months away.
I'm curious:
The leak is admittedly minor and covered under warranty. For me to bring it to the dealer (about 75 miles away) I would have to use at least half a day plus trailer rental.
Is it reasonable to ask the dealer to come deal with it?

/ A leak in my B21 #10  
I would think the dealer would send someone out to fix your leak being under warranty a.s.a.p.
I know I would be stern about this issue.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif