Ballast almost flipped the tractor, really need some help!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #51  
Yes it was bad that the salesperson let the rig go with a heavy bucket and no ballast box and no loaded tires. Looks like my estimation of 750 to 1000 and loaded tires was a little light with JD manual calling for loaded tires, AND 1100 lbs on the 3pt AND 1 set of rear wheel weights for the R4 tires.. And this poor guy had none of the above. Oh well, live and learn.

James K0UA

I think the manuals numbers are actually overkill. My ballast is only about 650 lbs and that is about half of Bobcats recommended number. But then again I'm on flat ground. I know if I had the OP's bucket and no ballast, I would be hanging the rear tires in the air going over minor dips.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #52  
I think the manuals numbers are actually overkill. My ballast is only about 650 lbs and that is about half of Bobcats recommended number. But then again I'm on flat ground. I know if I had the OP's bucket and no ballast, I would be hanging the rear tires in the air going over minor dips.

Do not forget, the OP had an extremely heavy bucket on his FEL arms as well!
:(

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #53  
Yep, I spend a lot of time with the FEL in many different types of terrain, so I adjusted my FEL lever so I can comfortably operate it with my elbow resting on the fender. I almost always drive with my left hand on the wheel my right hand on the FEL lever. I've had a few close calls that were saved by a quick downward action of the FEL :)

And yes...keep it low, especially when loaded.

Totaly agree, paying attention and a quick FEL down plant would of prevented that.

I can't help but to get a little angry :( when I see pics like this. It's simple operator error. These things can kill you!! You gotta use your head man! Just hope we all can learn from it.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #54  
Good luck with getting things set up correctly. I think it's as simple as everyone suggested, add ballast. I have a Kubota M7040, which is a little bigger than your tractor. But, I have cast iron wheels on the back of mine, kind of equivalent to wheel weights. Even with that, it's not very stable when using the FEL. I actually wouldn't even use the FEL with just that anyway, because there's too much stress on the front axle. So, I built a concrete ballast block (similar to the one in an earlier post). The one I built weighs a little over 2000lbs. Once that's on the tractor, she's very stable. And I have no concerns about being able to get up a hill. Weight carried on a tractor gives it much more traction and it doesn't really seem to slow it down, even when going up hill.

I also agree with what others have suggested and look to get a different bucket. As others have said, the dealer probably shouldn't have even sold the tractor with that bucket. I think you'd have a leg to stand on to go back and demand an exchange of the bucket for a smaller 4-1 or a regular buck, which would weigh much less.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #55  
Why didn't you just lower the fel and set her back down immediately. Ballast is a must for fel work. I have loaded tires, 4 cast wheel weights and use my 1600 pound mx8 mower for ballast. Without the mower my bucket stays inches off the ground as I work because of stability.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #56  
Why didn't you just lower the fel and set her back down immediately.

I couldn't agree more, however, in the OP's defense, if you're not experienced with that feeling of the rear end getting light it can happen so fast that you don't know how to react. Good reaction has to be second nature, and that comes with experience.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #57  
Everyone has mentioned ballast, including filled tires ("tyres" for the Aussie), but I think it should be emphasized again that 4WD is excellent preventive measure for accidents when using a FEL. ....
.... Marcus
I have to strongly disagree with Marcus. Having 4WD is not an equal substitute to having loaded tires and adequate wheel weights and or ballast box when working with a loader. The 4WD helps of course and is better then a 2WD tractor with air filled tires but doesn't get you to the level of reasonable safety that can be had just by adding a few hundred dollars in Rim guard and a half barrel of concrete on the 3PH. If you understand the math you will have the tires filled before you sit in the seat and we should not misdirect any newby here into a dangerous situation where he sits in a seat we would not want to sit in.

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #58  
The only thing that I would suggest that the others have not, was to widen you tires but after looking at your pictures it looks like they are welded rims and cannot be adjusted! Is the rear axel itself adjustable any?

Man! That is scary! Glad youæ±*e alright!

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #59  
I have been on 3 wheels twice in 2 days. Got a weight box on ebay that handles 1000 lbs and put 600 lbs of farmall model A weights in it (4 ea) and then filled the spaces with gravel. With the 153 lbs for the box, I figure I have about 900 lbs and what a difference that made. The loader specs recommended 700 lbs.
You really need a weight box or a heavy implement on back.

Good luck
Tom

/ almost flipped the tractor, really need some help! #60  
Why didn't you just lower the fel and set her back down immediately. Ballast is a must for fel work. I have loaded tires, 4 cast wheel weights and use my 1600 pound mx8 mower for ballast. Without the mower my bucket stays inches off the ground as I work because of stability.

Ah yes, but he wasn't lifting anything with the loader. He just didn't appreciate how heavy that clamshell was. I run around all the time with an empty loader and no ballast.