BX bagger cost... I don't understand it

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
Just what is it that makes them cost so much? It is not like there is too much to them.
Shoot you can get one with it's own trailer holds a lot more and motor (does not use PTO) cheaper just how is that
It would seem to me that a PTO driven bagger "should" not cost so much.

Someone help me understand

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #2  
I imagine it is a low production item driving cost, but you can bet the margins in the supply chain are steep too.

I have a Giant-Vac I used with my Cub. Have yet to rig it for the BX. Got it at a farm sale, put on a new Honda engine. One mean sucking machine.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #3  
I know called my dealer last week on one for my BX2350 and they wanted 2100.00 dollars for one...i almost fell over.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #4  
One thing I noticed around here is for some reason things that require a PTO to operate are hugely more expensive than the same item with its own motor
. That price difference has made me step back and think weather I want to save a few bucks or save time and my back from pulling on pull cords.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #5  
One thing I noticed around here is for some reason things that require a PTO to operate are hugely more expensive than the same item with its own motor
. That price difference has made me step back and think weather I want to save a few bucks or save time and my back from pulling on pull cords.

A PTO powered unit requires a gearbox, shafts, bearings, drive shaft with couplers, u-joints and clutch or shear pin set-up.

Motor driven, just slap a fan on the end. None of the above required.

The gearbox alone costs twice as much as a motor.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #6  
BXpanded said:
A PTO powered unit requires a gearbox, shafts, bearings, drive shaft with couplers, u-joints and clutch or shear pin set-up.

Motor driven, just slap a fan on the end. None of the above required.

The gearbox alone costs twice as much as a motor.

So hopefully when you buy a PTO powered item you get better quality and durability for the extra price. Today I'm actually switching my sprayer's 4.3 gpm pump with a PTO pump due to the 12V pump not producing enough psi. So another benefit is your not restricted by what voltage can do.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #7  
Face it,they have you where the want you,therefore they can charge what they wish,if ya don't like it...too bad.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it
Face it,they have you where the want you,---->so they think

therefore they can charge what they wish---->They can try

if ya don't like it...too bad. ----> I am sure there are other ways

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #9  
Be an agressive consumer.

Well like I have done in the past and will continue to do so... I express my discontent to the manager in a nice way, tell him he has just lost business and buy elsewhere. Usually they don't care, just shrug their shoulders up and blame it on everyone and everything else. They actually do think that they have you where they want you and can charge anything they want as long as the market will bear the price. THAT, I believe is the key. 'Vote with your wallet' as they say huh? As noted in my title above; spend the time to do a little research and shop around. You will be suprised at what you can find. AND... don't forget to let a vendor know that you have free shipping or lower price from another vendor too. Play them against one another and if they are hungry for business you can get a deal! I have fortunately been successfull in this tactic. It works. Good luck.

/ BX bagger cost... I don't understand it #10  
I try not to beat up my dealer, he is there to provide a service/product and make a living. But I do point out if something does not look right. Last Saturday I called him on the phone, we know each other. I wanted a quote for a Woods Quick-Hitch, a Cat 1. He had them on sale on his website a while back for $238. He quoted me $325 plus $75.00 shipping to bring it in. I pointed out the price was way high and shipping should be in his MSRP and discounted price. And I pointed out I wanted a Cat 1. He stood by his price claiming Woods had an increase. A 37% increase? I thanked him and bought a Northern Tool item, now on sale for $99 plus $35 UPS.