Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief...

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #41  
I always make sure my windshield washer fluid container is full. I use water in the non-freezing months. When some fine tailgater comes along, I empty the washer fluid on them. I am not prejudice at all...........Anyone that tailgates me,........... old ladies, convertibles, motorcycles, tractor trailers, town vehicles, classic cars, etc. .............they all get " The Squirter ". Most of them back off...........A few pass and squirt me................My wife hates it...............my kids love it............it's fun to pass the time.............Thanks, Frank

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #42  
Dump truck drivers. Have a large pit about 8 miles away. Seems I always run into the guy that can't wait 15 seconds for me to get past before he pulls out. Those trucks do not say Porsche on the grill! Please if you are one of them and you know it wll take you close to a mile to get up to hiway speed,just sit tight a cople of seconds!

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #43  
Way back, Jean Lindamood wrote for Car and Driver when cell phones were first coming into widespread use.

She wrote a great Op-Ed piece, concerning her own behaviour once she got a cell phone. Her main point was that with a cell phone in her hand, she was behaving very much like a drunk driver - following too close, and visually and mentally locking onto the vehicle in front, to the exclusion of everything else.

Remember, this comment is coming from a lady with advanced driver training, and who was paid handsomely to assess high performance vehicles.

Pretty much everybody's driving performance changes if they are using a phone in the car. And recently, the feedback seems to be that hands-free cell phone use does not correct the problem as much as many people think.

IMO, what is happening is that people's brains dedicate more bandwidth (I'm not being sarcastic) to processing conversations when somebody is not physically present. In contrast, your brain picks up all sorts of visual cues with in-car conversations, to some extent even if somebody is in the back seat.

Personally, even with hands-free, I keep my in-car cell use to an absolute minimum and primarily will pull off in a safe area to have a conversation.

That there have been many recorded incidents of fatalities with people texting sums up that option all too well.

Then there are the guys who mod their cars by taking out the driver air-bag to install a video display.

Must be our DNA segment that is tied to lemmings.

Be safe. Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #45  
And I've noticed an increasing amount of State Troopers, and Sheriff Deputies talking on cell phones when driving..!!

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #46  
Many LEOs should not be used as an example of good driving practices - I've seen tailgating (non-chase scenario) too.

As a group, the driving performance is likely better (damning with faint praise) than average, but their outliers can be pretty bad. An entitlement mindset coupled with immunity (perceived or real) - can be a bad combo.

Rgds, D.

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #47  
I'm also in the "if it's behind me, it's their responsibility" camp.
I'm a pretty courteous driver and I drive at a speed safe for conditions (meaning I slow down in inclement weather). If I get a tailgater, I'll tap my brakes...but if they don't back off...I figure any accident will be their fault.

I have pulled off to allow traffic to pass me (if I was going well below the limit for one reason or another).

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #48  
One place you better not be tailgateing is Shoshoni Wyoming. This towns cops are reknown for speed traps and everyone locally knows to slow to the speed limit(25) and not one MPH faster or its ticket time. I got stopped for tailgating going thru there once. I was following a car at the required 25 MPH at about 3 car length back when this idiot in front sees the cop and slams on his breaks even though he is not speeding. Well I run up pretty close to him before I can slow down and the cop stops me. I am driving an out of town licensed company truck and of course everyone on the job wants to know what happened the next day. She tells me I am following too close and I give her a small piece of my mind about her speed trap and how she is the cause of the following too close since the guy slammed on his brakes for no reason. She still take all my license and registration which lucky for me were up to date on the company truck. She keeps me there for a good 20 minutes and all the time I was thinking I will go to court on this as I am not paying this ticket. Finally another cop car pull up behind her and they talk for a few minutes and then she comes back, hands me my documents and says her supervisor told her to let me go. I was travelling all of 15 MPH when we went by her so I was thinking that I was going to fight it in court by saying that I was 20+ feet behind the lead vehicle. Anyway, I had to tell the story about 50 times the next day including telling it to the Project Manager who was cool with it anyway as he knew how those locals were. The town makes its living off transient traffic as there is nothing there but a few run down houses and a new gas station. Those type towns are the worst.
Back to the rant.

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #49  
Anyone who tailgates me will quickly learn not to do it again because I've been known to hit the brakes rather suddenly and without warning. Generally, it's only a light tap, just enough to make the brake lights come on, but if I have a nut case behind me I've been known to press the brake pedal just a bit harder.

However, if I'm not in a hurry to get where I'm going, I've found that the best approach to dealing with tailgaters is to do the exact opposite of what they want to do (go faster), where I simply let off the gas a little. The closer they get the slower I go, and if they back off I speed up again.

/ Personal rant---tailgaters when towing trailer...good grief... #50  
If I get a tailgater behind me, I will generally slow down to 5 under, "fan" the brakes (ie: hit the pedal just enough to turn on the brake lights and then let go several times) and then speed up. That gets the inattentive drivers to wake up and the others wont change no matter what I do.

Aaron Z