TV Antennas?

/ TV Antennas? #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Hello, Planning to convert over from cable to free TV. Would like to pick up stations that are located 50 to 60 miles away.

Any advice on antennas and or amplifiers? Or general input on the subject?

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

/ TV Antennas? #4  
We have an outside antenna on a 34' tower. Tried one of those new round amplified antennas which does not work as good as the small size aluminum stick style antennas. Also got tired of the high bills from Dish.

/ TV Antennas? #5  
When we built are house we put an outdoor antenna in our attic. I then connected it to the cable lines running through the house. We are about 30 miles from most of the towers and it works very well.

/ TV Antennas? #6  
When we built are house we put an outdoor antenna in our attic. I then connected it to the cable lines running through the house. We are about 30 miles from most of the towers and it works very well.
That is what I did back in 1974. Put the antenna in the attic hanging from nylon fishing cord. It worked perfectly for all the local Houston stations and no unsightly poles and wire hanging on the side of the house AND not fear of storms blowing it down. I dont think my wife would go for cutting the cable though even though there is only maybe a dozen shows that we watch and then only on DVR for the most part. Cant stand to watch all the stupid commercials today.

/ TV Antennas? #7  
Maybe a bit off the thread topic, but what about us old-timers and our analog TV's. Is there an inexpensive (cheap) solution whereby an old but perfectly useable telly can be made useful again?

/ TV Antennas? #8  
NormL said:
Maybe a bit off the thread topic, but what about us old-timers and our analog TV's. Is there an inexpensive (cheap) solution whereby an old but perfectly useable telly can be made useful again?

They were making digital converter boxes for making an analog tv able to recieve digital signals. Check radio shack, bestbuy, Sears, etc...

For us, it even worked with the analog antenna sitting on the tv, plugged into the converter box. We received over the airwaves digital channels...FREE.

U can do the same with a new all digital flatscreen. Ours still plays local analog stations...which are sometimes old fashioned fuzzy. Digital breaks up into blocks or shows black.

FREE TV... That's how I watch. :)

/ TV Antennas? #9  
you could build a tuned dipole or yaggie ( ok.. folded dipole ... 1/4 or 1/2 wave..etc )

/ TV Antennas? #10  

We also had our antenna in the attic. When we had a steel roof installed it killed our TV reception.