Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #62  
JD, you remind me of my father,he also has great disdain for the yahoos and poachers who would frequent our farm, which by the way was always clearly posted. I remember one particular chilly November morning when I was working on a gate when dad come around the barn and told me to get the tractor and meet him at the house. I did and we took off down the lane at a rate of speed uncommon for pops. We swing in in front of this blue chevy I`ve never seen before and he says "hook that log chain around the frame rail" to which I did.We took off draging that truck the rest of the 1/2 mile down that lane rear tires bouncin` and a jerkin` and deposited that old chevy on the south bound asphalt and raced back to the house. Maybe 1 and 1/2 hours later these 2 yahoos show up at the door asking if we knew anything about a missing blue chevy truck. Dad not so politely told them it was last seen down on the blacktop, where THEY belonged! They turned tail and started down the lane when low and behold the game warden shows up. He was a friend of dads and was dropping by to say hey, so I was told. ( I still wonder if dad if dad might have invited him over for a cup of coffee) Both of `em were fined for trespass and the one for not having a license. Karma I guess, but evidently word got around because the yahoo sightings dropped off by probably 90%. Friends and family always have and always will be welcome. :confused3: I dont know what to tell ya` other than keep after `em, maybe drag a truck off now and then :D or make a sign that reads: NO HUNTING
NO TRESSPASSING
VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT
SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
: and post it at your driveway entrance. Good luck to ya`, later.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #63  
JD, you remind me of my father,he also has great disdain for the yahoos and poachers who would frequent our farm, which by the way was always clearly posted. I remember one particular chilly November morning when I was working on a gate when dad come around the barn and told me to get the tractor and meet him at the house. I did and we took off down the lane at a rate of speed uncommon for pops. We swing in in front of this blue chevy I`ve never seen before and he says "hook that log chain around the frame rail" to which I did.We took off draging that truck the rest of the 1/2 mile down that lane rear tires bouncin` and a jerkin` and deposited that old chevy on the south bound asphalt and raced back to the house. Maybe 1 and 1/2 hours later these 2 yahoos show up at the door asking if we knew anything about a missing blue chevy truck. Dad not so politely told them it was last seen down on the blacktop, where THEY belonged! They turned tail and started down the lane when low and behold the game warden shows up. He was a friend of dads and was dropping by to say hey, so I was told. ( I still wonder if dad if dad might have invited him over for a cup of coffee) Both of `em were fined for trespass and the one for not having a license. Karma I guess, but evidently word got around because the yahoo sightings dropped off by probably 90%. Friends and family always have and always will be welcome. :confused3: I dont know what to tell ya` other than keep after `em, maybe drag a truck off now and then :D or make a sign that reads: NO HUNTING
NO TRESSPASSING
VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT
SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
: and post it at your driveway entrance. Good luck to ya`, later.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #64  
Some good signs will help:

31162_notis.jpg

funny-signs-trespassers-dirty-mouth.jpg

6210915480.jpg

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property
Cat tracks, enjoyed your story and admire your dad for having the right idea....bowhunting season is now open locally and after I posted "No Hunting" signs on both driveways there hasn't been anyone stopping by since...hope it continues. The really sad thing about the poachers and trespassers is that their behavior reflects on the law abiding and considerate hunters.

One time back in the middle '60's my dad was disking 40 acres about two miles from the house and found a strange pickup parked in front of a gate on our property, deer season was open so he unhitched the disc from the tractor and dropped it right behind the truck and came home and called the sheriff who drove over to the truck with my dad and gave the siren a few wails, well ten minutes later these two guys who my dad barely knew came out of the woods and told the policeman "well I didn't think Bob would mind, etc....." No the land wasn't posted but the cop confisticated their ammunition and the cooler full of food and beer from the truck. Far as I know they never came back.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #67  
JD my how times have changed for 40 years my parents never put up the first posted sign people had enough respect to ask before they entered our property now my brother and i spend alot of time before season walking the property lines to make sure it is posted every 50 feet thats state law if you charge someone with trespasng and it not posted judge will laugh at you here is something to watch for before you put the signs up the hunters thought they was a chance you would let them hunt the signs are telling them there is no chance so they look for a way in where you won't see them so keep eye out because people have lost all respect for people and there property we have a lot of problems with trespasing on our place they steel ouur signs and have had 2 ladder tree stands stole

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #68  
Amazing how the law seems to be different from state to state...guess that's state's rights.
In Texas, there is no open land for hunting, all is private property or permit required for state/federal property.
There are so few places to hunt publicly that there are under 300 and are individually findable on a map of Texas.

Nevertheless, we have problems with trespassers which seem to plague other states. And they tear up property and are insolent on many occasions.

Hunting on my place is dove hunting only, family and personally invited friends. Typically, the friends also do things which improve the ranch and are helpful at various times of the year. This year, invited hunters have installed lighting, helped with fencing chores, done shredding, helped with digging up BIG rocks which grew in the wrong places, etc.

Amazing that sometimes people seem to think they can go anywhere they want UNLESS it is posted. Then, they KNOW they shouldn't be where they are but are there anyway!

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #69  
JD there is a lot of great info on this blog. Just to let you know what I would do' -1- Those who would come to ask for permission etc. "ASK FOR THEIR DRIVERS LICENSE" to see if they are whom they are. of course politely say no etc. -2- Take a picture of their car or truck and license plate. -3- As far as ATV's tearing up the land I would Install huge boulders in the entry way & post more signs saying positively no trespassing this means you. -4- install hidden trail camera's camouflaged in the tree's if necessary. This way if something happens to your dissatisfaction you can show these to the POLICE, SHERIFF, FBI etc.. on our acreage we have tires hanging on the fence post with white paint simply saying "KEEP OUT" and "You are being watched". I am not wanting to step on any toes with this post because I know there are a lot of good and decent people out there, its the few bad ones that make it miserable for all. G.F.

/ Tired of yahoos stopping by and asking to hunt on my property #70  
I'm serious about this....I am trying to find a source for some " Hazardous Biological Spill " signs and some Police Crime Scene tape....I want to post our farm with this at the entry points....Or signs that say..." Contamination area...Highly contagious ...do not enter " Anybody ever see anything like this ?....I bet that might make them stop.