Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #2,281  
Science adapts to new data. That is how it works. Sometimes it embarrasses when it does so.

How do we know their new idea is better than the old idea? both were based in "proof".
As for the 1970 article, too early to fit the serious discussion of cooling, that was 1974-1981. More or less.

/ Global Warming? #2,282  
I told myself I was not going to post in this thread again, but after reading this, I have to jump in.......and out.
This is well spoken, unfortunetly it comes at the expense of another member, maybe he had it comming......if you can't stand the heat........
Other than than the slight, very slight, political connotations........I wish I'd said that.
I wish I was smart enough to get that out.
It's a frustrating complicated topic, made exasperating when oversimplified and scoffed at.
Now I'm done :cool:
You are not using an abacus and the mail to post your thoughts are you...think again... science moves ahead
- it was not magic or spiritual belief.

I hope I have your intent correct.

/ Global Warming? #2,283  
How do we know their new idea is better than the old idea? both were based in "proof".
As for the 1970 article, too early to fit the serious discussion of cooling, that was 1974-1981. More or less.

It is the scientific process- look it up. If it does not hold up too verification and testing, it is overlooked. Politics is another process altogether. That is what this forum is about, -politics. None of us are in the field -we resort to "I believe statements influenced by our politics!"

/ Global Warming? #2,284  
I hope I have your intent correct.
You don't.

I did not or was unable to quote the entire post but it was a classic. I suppose that you missed it....shame on ya.
I was using a mobile device and the length of the post divided by the height of the text window made it prohibitive or otherwise entirely to frustrating, so this is where you may have been mislead. I just clipped a small fraction, enough for those who caught it to recognize it.
recomended reading....2216.

/ Global Warming? #2,285  
It is the scientific process- look it up. If it does not hold up too verification and testing, it is overlooked. Politics is another process altogether. That is what this forum is about, -politics. None of us are in the field -we resort to "I believe statements influenced by our politics!"

The cooling article was based on scientific research, yes science changes, but how cold or warm it was in a measured period does not.

/ Global Warming? #2,286  
toppop52 said:
Good for the sake of good, is well, good. But there are holes in that theory, long before we used their oil the Barbary Pirates were enslaving and killing our sailors and stealing their cargo's. They were never completely benevolent towards us, they always had an agenda and knew their goals.

I don't understand what Barbary pirates have to do with this debate. Your response seems like it was intended for another thread.

/ Global Warming? #2,287  
I told myself I was not going to post in this thread again, but after reading this, I have to jump in.......and out.
This is well spoken, unfortunetly it comes at the expense of another member, maybe he had it comming......if you can't stand the heat........
Other than than the slight, very slight, political connotations........I wish I'd said that.
I wish I was smart enough to get that out.
It's a frustrating complicated topic, made exasperating when oversimplified and scoffed at.
Now I'm done :cool:

You don't.

I did not or was unable to quote the entire post but it was a classic. I suppose that you missed it....shame on ya.
I was using a mobile device and the length of the post divided by the height of the text window made it prohibitive or otherwise entirely to frustrating, so this is where you may have been mislead. I just clipped a small fraction, enough for those who caught it to recognize it.

Al Pacino The Godfather - Just When I Thought I Was Out - YouTube

/ Global Warming? #2,289  
toppop52 said:
How about the credentials of all those scientists of the 70's that "proved" the earth was cooling? Showed us graphs of how much we had cooled between 1950 and 1972, now they show us graphs showing how much it warmed in the same period. Goes to ones credibility I would think. Did you bother to read the article on cooling? Just as compelling as any evidence today of warming.

You continue to have difficulty getting your head around the scientific process. Virtually ALL scientists have published incorrect interpretations of data or done flawed studies. Science moves forward through a logical review process and repetition to attempt to falsify earlier experiments and theories in an effort to build a more accurate theory. Doesn't mean the earlier scientists were stupid or sloppy, it just means they did not get the story completely right. Very few theories/models/predictions turn out exactly as the original scientist thinks they will. Sometimes data is reinterpreted using new and better models or theories to come up with significantly different interpretations. That doesn't mean that at any given time the current research or theory is more likely to be wrong than an earlier theory. New theories usually explain experimental data better.

Hanging on to this example of a falsified 1970's cooling theory as a reason to reject all the massive subsequent work in the climate field (that is contrary to your favored politically driven conclusion), is the antithesis of rational scientific review. You are beating a dead horse. Move on or just admit you read science through a very biased set of lenses.

/ Global Warming? #2,290  
You don't.

Thanks for pointing that out!
I'll look.

Was good....tempted to post some Good fellas- eating dinner with Ma- but language is strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.