Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be???

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #71  
I find that if I have to buy the parts at retail it is almost always cheaper to buy a manufactured object than to buy the pieces and build it myself. It's interesting to hear people say they would buy a kit but would buy the nuts and bolts locally. I have to wonder where they shop. Just as an example, I priced a 5" x 1/4" bolt at my local Lowes: $1.02. In quantity 500, I can buy them online for less than 15 cents, including shipping; bigger quantities are even cheaper. If I want just a single piece of angle iron or something the local metal dealer is incredibly expensive. For me a big part of the appeal of a kit is that the manufacturer is buying all of the components at wholesale quantities and some of that efficiency gets passed on to me. Plus I don't have to run all over town trying to find parts in small quantities.

That said, I think the opportunity here goes beyond price. Clearly, if you phrase the question as "who would like to buy attachments at half price" you'll have lots of takers, but at the end of the day I'm not sure that the savings in labor, materials and shipping are going to be that compelling. What's really interesting is the idea of manufacturing items on-demand, to the customer's specification -- especially if it can be done for about the same money as a stock item.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #72  
If they left a few pieces out wouldn't you burn up more gas going and getting it than what it would cost to ship it?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #73  
I find that if I have to buy the parts at retail it is almost always cheaper to buy a manufactured object than to buy the pieces and build it myself. It's interesting to hear people say they would buy a kit but would buy the nuts and bolts locally. I have to wonder where they shop. Just as an example, I priced a 5" x 1/4" bolt at my local Lowes: $1.02. In quantity 500, I can buy them online for less than 15 cents, including shipping; bigger quantities are even cheaper.

TSC bolts by the pound. Not quite wholsale, but a pretty decent price. Lowes is a ripoff on hardware. I understand why though.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #74  
I find that if I have to buy the parts at retail it is almost always cheaper to buy a manufactured object than to buy the pieces and build it myself. It's interesting to hear people say they would buy a kit but would buy the nuts and bolts locally. I have to wonder where they shop. Just as an example, I priced a 5" x 1/4" bolt at my local Lowes: $1.02. In quantity 500, I can buy them online for less than 15 cents, including shipping; bigger quantities are even cheaper.

TSC bolts by the pound. Not quite wholsale, but a pretty decent price. Lowes is a ripoff on hardware. I understand why though.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #75  

That's what I buy- definitely a good deal and you can fill the bag with a variety of sizes in the same grade. I always throw in a couple of extra and have built up a somewhat limited supply of extra's.

The hardware store that is closer has high pricing on their nuts and bolts. I have found on average that they are almost double the cost as opposed to buying at TSC- (same manufacturer to boot). Has nothing to do with purchasing power because the local hardware is a national franchise.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #76  
I'm interested to hear what Ted has to say after digesting all our comments. I would like to see a land plane as one of the first kits. The best way to keep the price down is not deviate from the design used for the assembled attachments.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #77  
I'm interested to hear what Ted has to say after digesting all our comments. I would like to see a land plane as one of the first kits. The best way to keep the price down is not deviate from the design used for the assembled attachments.

...not to mention to avoid the increased risks of failure, injury, and lawsuits when inappropriate materials are used by Ted Wanna-Be's, who don't know or appreciate the materials science that goes into the choice of metal and fastening systems on these heavily worked implements...

BTW, I want to go on record dittoing interest in obtaining a land plane DIY kit, but I'd also like a Fred Cain-clone subsoiler kit with a shear bolt.

Thanks
Thomas

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #78  
Love the idea Ted. I have built some of my own implements just for the simple fact I COULD build the implement cheaper and really like the idea of an 'implement kit'.

I think the idea would catch on, only If there could be a significant cost savings over a new purchase. And should be as close to a full line of implements as possible.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #79  
Are the kits available yet?
David from jax

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #80  
EA hasn't posted on this thread in quite awhile.