25 kW Solar power project in Iowa.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #101  
So you will have a separate meter for the PV array? Then feed from the meter into the conductors in the tombstone, which are probably on the POCO's side of things. It sounds almost like your POCO treats the PV system as a separate service, even if they don't bill it as such.

I can't do the same... as I have overhead service to a pole, and a single net meter on the pole. I have the same problem at the pole in that the equipment there, including the meter box, are all rated at 200 amps. I probably should have taken the option to upgrade the meter box to 400 amp when we did our remodel & redid our electrical (the 400 amp box had two 200 amp lugs). I think it would be quite costly to do that now.

Jeff

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa.
So you will have a separate meter for the PV array? Then feed from the meter into the conductors in the tombstone, which are probably on the POCO's side of things. It sounds almost like your POCO treats the PV system as a separate service, even if they don't bill it as such.

I can't do the same... as I have overhead service to a pole, and a single net meter on the pole. I have the same problem at the pole in that the equipment there, including the meter box, are all rated at 200 amps. I probably should have taken the option to upgrade the meter box to 400 amp when we did our remodel & redid our electrical (the 400 amp box had two 200 amp lugs). I think it would be quite costly to do that now.

Jeff

I just returned from a meeting with our Electric Coop. They decided to install bidirectional meter for my house but recommended I install another meter that I will own just for the solar system.

Edit: I think I will not install my own meter. There is always some discrepancy. Some caused by losses over the cable between the solar and the transformer, some by accuracy of the meter. I don't want to deal with it. It is better not to know. They mentioned something about $800 one time charge for the bidirectional meter.

Last edited:
I started building the supporting structure today. I will post more pics when there is more progress.

We have supporting structure for one bank of panels ( for 30 panels) completely built, main cable laid in the trench and main safety switch We started installing panels but found that the inverters came without mounting screws. I ordered the screws about a week ago but still didn't receive them so the effort somewhat stalled because the inverters and the grounding lugs have to be installed after first row of panels is in. So far we lucked out with the weather but it seems to me that we will be able to finish two banks (out of three) before I get sent to my next work assignment.

DSCN2828.jpg
Digging trench
DSCN2838.jpg
The boss
DSCN2837.jpg
Laying the cable
DSCN2848.jpg
First row of panels partially installed.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #107  
From what I can see in your last photo of the rack, I would be very concerned about wind loading.

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
From what I can see in your last photo of the rack, I would be very concerned about wind loading.

Yes, wind loading is an issue here. The footings are 5ft deep poured concrete about 80" apart. The wooden structure is all braced and bolted together. I went to Unirack web site and designed the racking on their program and then made it out of wood. There is room for four landscape rows but I will install only three lower rows on each bank.

You have very nice place. How is your system performing? Does it meet predicted and/or expected production? Are you on or off grid? Do you use industrial racking or DIY? How did you select the angle? Any technical specs you can provide?

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #109  
The wooden structure is all braced and bolted together. I went to Unirack web site and designed the racking on their program and then made it out of wood.

You have very nice place. How is your system performing? Does it meet predicted and/or expected production? Are you on or off grid? Do you use industrial racking or DIY? How did you select the angle? Any technical specs you can provide?

The bracing and bolts were not discern-able in the photo. Perhaps a detail shot would help. If the engineering behind the Unirack design carries over to your wood version, you should be fine.

Mine is a grid-tied system and is producing as expected. May-October, it produces 30-45kwh/day. Because of California's tiered time of use rate structure, I am selling most of that power to PG&E at their extremely high peak rates, about $0.35/kwh. In the winter (and after dark) I am buying at their lowest rates, $0.08-0.12/kwh. Thus the panel angle was chosen to maximize summer production. What used to be a $3600 annual electricity bill is now about $150.

Twenty years ago, I put a 2 panel domestic hot water system on the roof using a commercial system which I acquired 2nd hand for $250. I estimate it has saved me over $7500 in propane over that time.
sp3.jpg

Another system for the swimming pool keeps it at 80-90'F from May through October.
Pool:Fog.JPGPoolSolarArray.JPG

Obviously, I believe in solar!

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #110  
Yes, wind loading is an issue here. The footings are 5ft deep poured concrete about 80" apart. The wooden structure is all braced and bolted together. I went to Unirack web site and designed the racking on their program and then made it out of wood. There is room for four landscape rows but I will install only three lower rows on each bank.

The week after I finished mine, we had record breaking winds for our area. Not tornado force, but close. Took out one of my big maples and flattened two sheds... I called the wife from the office and told to get her ***** out there to see what was happening to the array! :laughing:

Didn't even leave witness marks in the backfill around the poles, but frig I was trippin for a while. Didn't have insurance on them at that point either....