Scope problem

/ Scope problem #21  
I've got a stainless 308 model 7 same problem

In a day or so when I get to a computer I will pm you what I went through

Long and short of it let barrel cool at least 5 minutes between each shot and what size group

/ Scope problem #22  
I had a friend that had a "stainless .308 Model seven Remington",he is the best shooter/home gunsmith that I know.He ended sending his back to Remington three times for accuracy problems.Best it every did was 1-1/2' groups at 100 yards.
Not acceptable to him,traded the gun in.Seems to be a trend with the stainless Model 7's.I have a stainless Model 700 in 30/06,Mountain Rifle that is very good.

/ Scope problem #23  
Barrel is too thin and whippy

First shot col barrel fine second ok after that forget it
Frustrating because it would be such a joy to tote and is weatherproof

/ Scope problem
Okay, here is what I did: Removed scope and base (Millet). Removed stock. Cleaned bore thoroughly with bore cleaning compound. It was pretty dirty but doubt that had too much to do with it. I have the original walnut stock that it came in (which is a pretty nice looking stock for a low end Remington.) I know some folks will think going to wood from synthetic is a step backwards but I'm just trying to isolate as many variables as possible. I then remounted the base. Used 'blue' Locktite on the screws. Mounted the Zeiss scope. (I also remembered that this Zeiss had been on another gun not long ago and shot fine....I know, sounds like I'm very disorganized....and I was. Not now. Taking notes and keeping records, trying to be methodical.)

With the scope I ran both elevation and windage from one end of the range to the other and then counted clicks to return it to 'center'. At that setting it was pretty close on bore sighting (by eyeball). Just had to move it a couple of clicks to the left.

I agree, the barrel is quite dainty and I'm not normally a fan of tiny, lightweight guns. But these are great starter rifles for kids and smaller women.

Like I mentioned, I've also got a 7mm-08 in this model and it shoots great, but it was already pretty much sighted in and it only took three shots to fine tune it perfectly....so it hasn't had a real hot barrel so far.

When I go to sight in this 'problem .308' I will wait between shots and let it cool down. Here is a question: I start out at 50' and get it close then move to 100'. Should I stay at 50' and get it perfect before moving to 100'?

Anyway, this gun gets one more chance. After that it either goes in the back of the closet or up for sale. Do you tell a potential buyer about your problems or is it understood in the gun trading world that there are no accuracy guarantees?

/ Scope problem #26  
I would pay real close attention to how it sits in the stock and how the action is tightened down. What does the pressure point near the end of the stock look like? From various browsing, I was under the impression that thin sport barrels need the pressure point to minimize whip, where heavy/bull barrels do not. Did your synthetic stock have a pressure point?

The issue you saw originally sound like it could be improper bedding, or screw/bolts that are loose, or the other extreme, too tight?

If it still acts up, I'd be tempted to put a heavier barrel on it, and maybe glass bed. I think a 7mm-08 with a varmint weight or bull barrel would be cool.

/ Scope problem #27  
Sight in purposes;I start at 25 yards.You want to be dead on at 25 yds.25 yards and 100 yards should hit in the same spot..due to the arc of the bullet.You should be about 1/2-3/4 in.high at 50 yards.OK dead on at 25 ,a little high at 50 and dead on again at 100 yards.If you want (approximate per caliber ) to be say one inch high at 100 you should be one inch high at 25 yards.One inch high at 100 should be dead on at (again approx per caliber) 220 yards or so.With out looking at a ballistic chart the drop is approximate.As far as selling or tradeing the gun:buyer beware any used product.A lot of guns get traded because the owner can't get them to shoot to their satisfaction.

/ Scope problem #28  
Anyway, this gun gets one more chance. After that it either goes in the back of the closet or up for sale. Do you tell a potential buyer about your problems or is it understood in the gun trading world that there are no accuracy guarantees?

There are no accuracy guarantees, but I try to tell the truth about things a la the FFA closing ceremony line:

"As we mingle with others, let us be diligent in labor, just in our dealings, courteous to everyone, and, above all, honest and fair in the game of life."

/ Scope problem
There are no accuracy guarantees, but I try to tell the truth about things a la the FFA closing ceremony line:

"As we mingle with others, let us be diligent in labor, just in our dealings, courteous to everyone, and, above all, honest and fair in the game of life."

Good advice....wanna buy a Remington Model 7 in .308?:laughing:

Anyway, the screws holding the stock on were tight. And they are quite tight now.

Robert, the synthetic stock had two little tabs at the end that contacted the barrel (presumably). I did not see any unusual wear on the bluing anywhere on the barrel. I'm am not certain about the wood stock and what type of contact it has out toward the end. Just forgot to look. If I run a piece of paper down the barrel it stops about an inch past the end of the stock so there is some sort of stock-to-barrel contact there. I could pull it out of the stock again to look, but since I'm probably not going to fool with bedding or changing barrels there probably isn't much sense in doing so. Now that I've got my Dad's guns I do not need to keep any that don't shoot. He was a gun trader (not professional) and nothing stayed around very long if it didn't shoot well. I've had them all on the bench now and they all shoot well. So like I say, this one's gone if it won't shoot a decent group this coming weekend.

nybirdman, that makes sense. Will start at 25 this time, fine tune it then move out to 100 to finish fine tuning. And with the type of hunting I do, I don't have to get a 1" group. If I can get a 2" group that is all I need. The gun will likely never be used to shoot past 150'.

/ Scope problem #30  
N80, I don't know what bullets you're shooting, but here's a ballistics chart for the Remington 180 gr Core-Lokt at 2,620 ft/sec. This is a decent inexpensive round for whitetail. The chart is based on a 164 yd zero, which should give you hits within +/- 1.5" from 0 yards to 190 yards, allowing you to hold dead on at the ranges you're hunting. To get this trajectory, you should set your scope to hit 0.7" high at 50 yards, and you should be hitting 1.5" high at 100 yards.

Range Elevation
(yds) (in)
0 -1.5
25 -0.2
50 0.7
75 1.3
100 1.5
125 1.3
150 0.6
175 -0.6
200 -2.3