Covered by warranty?

/ Covered by warranty?
Got called the BX is done and ready for pick up today. They had to put a front steering cylinder seal pack in. When I got there I asked them if they did everything I asked them - they said yes and all was warranty work. Shoulda checked there, but waited till I got home to check the front axle oil level they said they'd check and top off last Fri, but it wasn't even on the stick. I had to put 1/2 qt of SUDT in. I'm assuming (I hate that word) they forgot. I will certainly let them know and use it for ammo for something else down the road, or like some of you have related with your dealers maybe they'll offer me a qt of SUDT.
I just hate being told one thing and then finding out it's something else. It's not the oil - it's the priciple! :muttering:

/ Covered by warranty? #12  
I recommend you do it now. Forget the ammo idea. They could go out of business, new people or forgetful people. Tell them now that whoever was supposed to do the fill up forgot and you'll do it yourself so just give you the qt of SUDT. It should be that easy/simple and then if you have any other issues later you can have that in reserve (if needed) that you fixed the problem yourself without complaint back in Jan 2013 on your new BX. Course that should be about 12 to 20 years from now so probably even you will have forgotten it by then.:) Your need for warranty work this early into your ownership is really a rare thing with Kubota. You'll probably never have another problem over the next 5 years.:thumbsup:

/ Covered by warranty?
I recommend you do it now. Forget the ammo idea. They could go out of business, new people or forgetful people. Tell them now that whoever was supposed to do the fill up forgot and you'll do it yourself so just give you the qt of SUDT. It should be that easy/simple and then if you have any other issues later you can have that in reserve (if needed) that you fixed the problem yourself without complaint back in Jan 2013 on your new BX. Course that should be about 12 to 20 years from now so probably even you will have forgotten it by then.:) Your need for warranty work this early into your ownership is really a rare thing with Kubota. You'll probably never have another problem over the next 5 years.:thumbsup:

On a related note about dealer service, this happened at the same time. (1st pic is before 'repair': 2nd pic is after 'repair')

I didn't notice that until you just brought it to my attention, dennisgw. Putting in a seal kit, I would expect the cylinder to be rebuilt more or less, not have the rods or rod ends replaced. I'll have to more closely examine it, but from the pics even the stamped numbers don't match. Maybe these rods or ends were cleaner and less pitted then the originals, and being a warranty repair they chose to take a shortcut, but whatever, I should have been told of any change. The joints inside the boots are packed with grease and the boots protect them - but these boots have much more wear than the originals and are certainly apt to wear through much sooner. My dealer will get a call about this and not topping off the front axle too.
This kind of thing really burns me! Thanks for pointing it out.

Attachments

• P1020295.jpg
    P1020295.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 287
  • P1110305.jpg
    P1110305.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 253
   / Covered by warranty? #14  
Dixie, you are having a tough time in my book. I saw that boot cracking too, but didn't say anything earlier. The first picture shows a plump boot, shiny new and full of grease. That second one is a dried up old piece to me anyway. I feel for your grief because you seem to be competent in your critique and admit to not being a tractor/mechanic expert. I hope this all settles down pretty soon. Like Johnthomas said, once you get past all the initial issues, you'll probably not have another one for a long time.

/ Covered by warranty? #15  
Keep the faith Dixie. Once the little stuff is done you will have a fine machine. My 2200 is approaching 10 yrs this Oct, still has original battery, steering boots are fine, still have my transmission fan. I only topped up (ie replaced, then topped up) my front wheel oil in 2011, had no issues filling either side. My new machine glitch happened about a day after the dealer delivered. Nice puddle of transmission oil under rear left wheel area. Mechanic came out (about 40 mi), diagnosed leak as coming from the small hydraulic fitting block on the transmission, replaced the o-ring seal and life has been good since then. Only have about 650 hrs on it though.

/ Covered by warranty? #16  
The boot thing ain't right!

The front axle oil is no big deal, but the fact they said they'd top it off and didn't... Is a Big Deal!

/ Covered by warranty?
This kind of CRAP is so prevalent here, being so close to DC where all the best liars are, I guess everyone's just trying to keep up the status quo!
Am so jaded, it seems if anyone opens their mouth ka-ka always falls out. Hard to trust anyone.

/ Covered by warranty? #18  
This kind of CRAP is so prevalent here, being so close to DC where all the best liars are, I guess everyone's just trying to keep up the status quo!
Am so jaded, it seems if anyone opens their mouth ka-ka always falls out. Hard to trust anyone.

Fortunately it's not so bad here in the middle of the country...

/ Covered by warranty? #19  
That boot is shot the whole thing looks used. I bet they didnt have the parts in stock so just swapped it for like kind from one of their yard tractors thats been setting in the weather for 4 years.
Kinda like my experience with the local Kubota dealer but non warranty work. Asked them to do ONE thing, check the hydraulic pressures. THey didnt to that but swapped some control valve hoses around and said that was the problem and charged me $150. Still debating whether to load it up and take it back to them or take it 25 miles further to a different dealer.

/ Covered by warranty?
That boot is shot the whole thing looks used. I bet they didnt have the parts in stock so just swapped it for like kind from one of their yard tractors thats been setting in the weather for 4 years.
Kinda like my experience with the local Kubota dealer but non warranty work. Asked them to do ONE thing, check the hydraulic pressures. THey didnt to that but swapped some control valve hoses around and said that was the problem and charged me $150. Still debating whether to load it up and take it back to them or take it 25 miles further to a different dealer.

I looked up the parts diagram on the K web site.
To put in the seal pack they'd have to unscrew the whole tie-rod assembly off the cylinder rod to remove the old and put on the new seals.
The tie-rods consist of 3 parts; 1)the axial ball joint, these are the rubber boots, - 2 #s listed as inner ball and outer(?), 2)threaded rod nut and 3)turn down joint.
They told me they had to order the seal pack - so if the cylinder was in pieces, why wouldn't they keep all the parts together?
When I picked it up yesterday, the mechanic I assume (again I HATE that word) said this is the first time he's seen this prob. With that in mind it seems HIGHLY unlikely some other tie-rods would just be laying around to get mixed up with mine. I have a suspicion they maybe swapped out the entire steering cylinder with an old yard tractor's because the right also has the same old, dryed up, cracked looking boot with grease seeping out along the threaded rod. Luckily mine is under warranty, but no less the frustrtion and angst. I will take this up with them 1st thing Mon. Believe me, I won't be carrying it to them either. I'm not gonna be without my machine for another week - they'll have to send their service truck here to make it right.
They could have the best mechanic or reputation in the world, but lie to me and you'll never get my business again! If I were you Gary, there'd be no question, I'd take it 25mi further to the other dealer, and make sure they knew you were going!