Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #51  
Oh, wait .... isn't this the semantics forum????:D

My neighbor wanted to move his derelict school bus. A 4.3 Jimmy in lo-loc wouldn't budge it. My <30hp NH 1520 HST with turfs got it going and 150 ft down the driveway at 1400 RPM before I realized I was in med-range and had left the brake locked on. I've been a Chevy guy for 40 yrs+, but can I now conclude that the 'Ford' is more er' efficient? (there's 4 letters vs 5 in the name, too) IMO brand loyalty is like hair color preference, and others might miss a point to be made somewhere. (anywhere?) Ford/Chevy=JD/Kubota? C'mon, guys. My point would be 'different streaks for different freaks', ie: apples ain't oranges. ;)

At the simplest level weight, hp, & traction aren't proportional. The OP's Kubo also had to pull itself, & it looks a tad bigger than his JD .... Couldn't hp or tires be the emphasis, and tractor brand not relevant? :confused:

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #52  
I think you're onto something here. If the loader was on the Kubota and the backhoe was off, then the rear of the Kubota was unballasted. No wonder you lost traction. The trailer has maybe 100-200 lbs tongue weight--nothing, really. Meanwhile, the loader is hanging out the front of the tractor being a counterweight. This is not a question of, "the littler JD out-pulled the bigger Kubota". This is a matter of, "An un-ballasted tractor doesn't pull very well."

Are the tires on the Kubota loaded, I wonder? Was the backhoe on? Let's get to the bottom of this!

Now we are all curious. My very first drive up the hill to the barn with my brand new Kubota was a learning experience. Empty ballast box in the rear, 2wd, and a heavy FEL with grapple in the front.
At one point, I simply ceased forward motion and I looked behind me to see the ground roughed up by my new R4s. That Kubota was so light in the rear that without any
ballast, it wouldn't even go up the hill until I put it in 4wd. Hmmmm. Seems like the same issue of unloaded rears, if the backhoe was off.

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #53  
Lets see, I pulled a JD 4450 tractor with loader weighing around 20000lbs with Kubota B2620 weighing 2000lb on a loose gravel road. I win.!:laughing:

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #54  
I own a Deere so not trolling daltons JD.jpg(tires suck in just about everything),I just came to watch the pissing match. Nice house by the way(POOL?):thumbsup:

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #55  
Jeeeez after reading this. I think I need to paint my tractor green and look at it thru the wrong end of a pair of binoculars.

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #56  
Everybody knows REAL tractors are RED...:eek:

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #57  
Wait! Better check again. It might come and go...:D
Triple R, you are one of the most informative and helpful posters on this forum from my observation,
and if your nose smells an odor, well, there's likely a good reason.

The problem is cheerleading for any brand or bashing another without good reasons given
really gets a reaction here. Probably for good reason. Sort of like watching a documentary and getting stuck
listening to car commercials every ten minutes.

When it comes to traction, isn't it weight, tire grip/type and 2wd/4wd?
I bet if you put ag tires on Carl's TLB you could climb a tree.

Actually I am afraid to check again; not sure I can handle the truth. Communicating on an Internet forum and getting across the proper emotion is a real bear. In person, "Oh come on Carl, that is the..." can be presented in so many ways, humorous, chiding, angry etc. This is not the first time Carl was fussing about his Kubota, thus why I asked why he doesn't just sell it. There is another poster who complained about his Kubota until no one could hardly stand it and then he bought, you guessed it ANOTHER KUBOTA and has complained about it ever since, even advertising it for sale, he still owns it and posts; sometimes good and sometimes bad; can't figure it out.

Yes, traction is a combination of a lot of things such as you mentioned. Some have experimented with siping Industrial tires for better traction in snow. We have tractors with Ag, Industrial and Turf, some weighted, some not, one weighted with cast centers and fluid. Sometimes weight can be your friend and sometimes not as you are also pulling the weight of the machine along with your tow load. We have seen light machines go places on slopes heavier ones wouldn't come close.

And sometimes the ability to do something depends on the skill of the operator. In snow without ice underneath, our Ag tractors out perform our Industrial tires, but with ice underneath none of them do much without chains; fortunately we don't get much snow.

A couple of years ago, we got a nice snow and I took my Rhino out to play with the grand kids. It had stock tires on it which had done fine previously, but with a foot of snow, unusual for our area, it would do fine on level ground, but wouldn't do squat on hills. My Grizzly did fine with the same tires. Was the Grizzly better than the Rhino, no not really. I ordered a set of Bighorn Originals for both and now both work great in snow.

I don't know why some have a problem praising one tractor without knocking another.

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #58  
I fully realize what you stated is true. I just was very surprised, to say the least, and thought it was a story worth sharing.

It was worth sharing, it demonstrates that engine power by itself is not always what gets the job done. Suitability for the purpose should be the main criteria.

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #59  
Everybody knows REAL tractors are RED...:eek:

Aack! No wonder I keep shopping. Mine are blue, green, or yellow. And I was going to blame you guys for being a bad influence ....

/ Smaller John Deere out pulls bigger Kubota #60  
parents house3.JPG