2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #61  
The new diesel will use urea after-treatment and a diesel particulate filter to meet emissions standards. Hardly a "bunch of add-ons" or anything new. I still stand by my theory that they will price it the same or close to the HEMI like they have in the past.

Have you priced a DPF? I will be right behind you to buy one if its in the 40K range well equipped.

Like I said, I am a fan if the Cherokee. Our extended family had had quite a few with very good overall service. Its all about price point for value to me.

Chris

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL
Have you priced a DPF? I will be right behind you to buy one if its in the 40K range well equipped.
Once again your missing the point...

The previous diesel also had DPF but used a NOx scrubber vs Urea injection and still was only a $1655 option. Pricing of the previous diesel option is a much better comparison for future diesel pricing instead of heavy duty truck diesels. We're comparing apples-to-apples here which we all know your not very good at. Maybe I should price out a gas lawn mower vs a diesel ag tractor your type of comparisons.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #63  
Im in the market for a new truck this year, but have about decided to just purchase a 1/2 ton Ford or Ram and keep my 5.9L Cummins in the stable for heavy pulling.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #64  
Im in the market for a new truck this year, but have about decided to just purchase a 1/2 ton Ford or Ram and keep my 5.9L Cummins in the stable for heavy pulling.

Smart move.

Chris

I still feel there is already a way to get the both of best worlds with a smarter diesel truck. Aftermarket tuners out there can give you 100hp gains in diesel trucks with easy switching between the two or more modes.
Make a detuned diesel that gets good fuel mileage (20+) and a modest 250hp then have that tow/haul button switch modes like a tuner and give you a harder shifting 350hp coal burning towing machine.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #66  
I still feel there is already a way to get the both of best worlds with a smarter diesel truck. Aftermarket tuners out there can give you 100hp gains in diesel trucks with easy switching between the two or more modes.
Make a detuned diesel that gets good fuel mileage (20+) and a modest 250hp then have that tow/haul button switch modes like a tuner and give you a harder shifting 350hp coal burning towing machine.

I agree but not so sure it really would work. The aerodynamics and weight of moderen trucks are still there. Weight being the biggest issue. Take a look at the first gen 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge 2500 to todays version or the original 6.9 International in a Ford F250 to todays latest version. Many are 1500# or more heavier.

From what I remember you are a racer. Weight is a big killer, but you know that. In reality the trucks are getting about 20 mpg already. Its the complexity that is the killer which adds weight and kills mpgs.

If we could go back to the simple 5.9 or 7.3 and have all the good stuff from today like the trannys 25 mpg would be possible.

Chris

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #67  
a 5.9 cummins with a built 8spd would be awesome... heck i would settle for the 5.9L with a 6spd aisin.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #68  
You can.. mine is an 06 model HPCR, I have added a Smarty Jr that has added power and fuel mileage, will be installing +50hp fuel nozzles in the very near future as well. These nozzles also gain a few mpg. The downfall is "gubbament" mandated emissions compliance!. My truck does not "roll coal" or make huge smoke shows.... but, when tested with an emissions analyzer, it will fail current mandates.
IMHO, if the EPA would back off the current regs and step back to the 2004 regs it would be the ideal balance of emissions and fuel mileage.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #69  
a 5.9 cummins with a built 8spd would be awesome... heck i would settle for the 5.9L with a 6spd aisin.

U and me both.. I have been scouring the internet for several years now, just hoping someone would develop an conversion kit to install the 68RE or Aisin behind the 5.9L engines.... I would actually rather have the 68RE due to it having a huge aftermarket parts following. There is almost nothing in the aftermarket for the Aisin. My factory 48RE has been very durable so far, but the ratio spacing between 3 and 4 is not the most desireable for towing above 15k lbs.

PoorMansCat said:
You can.. mine is an 06 model HPCR, I have added a Smarty Jr that has added power and fuel mileage, will be installing +50hp fuel nozzles in the very near future as well. These nozzles also gain a few mpg. The downfall is "gubbament" mandated emissions compliance!. My truck does not "roll coal" or make huge smoke shows.... but, when tested with an emissions analyzer, it will fail current mandates.
IMHO, if the EPA would back off the current regs and step back to the 2004 regs it would be the ideal balance of emissions and fuel mileage.
I agree, EPA seems to think cutting emissions by 10% is for the better even if it means that vehicle uses 25% more fuel...