The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!
What is the opening dimension with the jaws open?
I can't tell from the pictures, but how are the hydraulic hoses routed?
I like that you didn't gusset the tines in front of the pipe, most people put large gussets there. A small gusset makes a big difference in strength!

The opening is a little over 30". The Construction Attachments compact grapple that we've sold for years is a little over 29". It has been our biggest seller with no problems or complaints.
Our next grapple will be a rake style similar to the Bradco(pictured by schmism) but it will be less expensive than the Bradco. The grapple rakes are designed to open much wider than the L style.
The tines are designed without gussets to minimize the turf/soil damage when digging roots. It is much better without the gussets in the way and the tines are plenty strong to withstand the force from digging with them.
We will have the final painted product complete hopefully later this week so you can see exactly how the hoses are routed. I'll post another link to the page on our website when it is completed.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm really liking the design, but it appears from the pictures that the upper tines line up exactly with - and close to a pinch - the lower tines. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to change the design. Move the uppers to one side or the other an inch, so that the upper tines could close on down to the cross pipe. Is there currently enough cylinder throw to get an extra six or eight inches of travel at the tine tips?

I asked Ted about that and the ability to pinch small material is something that would be lost if the top tines do not meet the bottom tines. He said that is something he isn't willing to give up because, in his experiences, it has been a feature that is very useful.
Travis

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #43  
I asked Ted about that and the ability to pinch small material is something that would be lost if the top tines do not meet the bottom tines. He said that is something he isn't willing to give up because, in his experiences, it has been a feature that is very useful.
Travis

Good call!

I'm excited to see the finished product. I think you have a winner here at a very realistic price point! I'm glad it's not super cheap as I'd never trust the quality if it were.

Here are a few pics from my cell phone of the finished Wicked Grapple. They're doing a video as we speak so our website will be updated shortly with new pics and the video.
Travis
2013-01-28_10-09-12_451.jpg2013-01-28_10-10-38_448.jpg2013-01-28_11-40-38_964.jpg2013-01-28_11-41-06_651.jpg

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #45  
dstig1 said:
I'd recommend adding a 48" as it is a great size for CUTs. Looks interesting...

I agree. Have a 48" and have not found anything I couldn't move that I wanted to move yet with a 45 HP Kioti.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #46  
The jaw opening I found can be a no problem. I go into the brush pile and get a load and close the jaws
to crush what is in there and then open and push fwd some more and then finally close the jaws. Works
for me. I am not trying to move logs that I can't put the jaws around. Saves on wear and tear on loader
arms and tractor. If It can'f fit, I don't move it with the grapple. If a log, I will use the chains and Hook
I drive into the log along with a chain wrapped around the log...
As for the wicked grapple. Remember, they are using a stronger steel than most Mfr's use and so they can
do the lightening holes like they do and have the same overall strength...Like we do in aircraft ribs and spars
to save weight and have the same strength...

Tom

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #47  
If the upper tines bypassed the lower tines with only a very small offset, one could still pinch small material AND close down further.

I realize this would require significant redesign though. Maybe for a future product?

The Wicked Grapple product video has been added to our website. It is a very thorough video that outlines the design process and shows you what makes this grapple the best choice for compact tractors. In this video, Ted shows you the prototype grapple that he used for 30 hours and tells about the changes he made that transformed that already awesome grapple into the even better finished product. This is one of the longest videos we've made up till now but it is full of very important, useful information that you'll appreciate if you're in the market for a grapple.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #49  
When can we expect to see a root rake style grapple. I have used both and find the root rake style much more useful. I also agree about the 48" make it stronger and smaller. I really see no need for a wide grapple bucket. Simple adds weight which is the whole idea behind these new grapples.

I may be first in line for a root rake if one is made soon. Need a tester in the field. I just have 13 acres of softwoods and an acre of aspen trees cleared for pasture and have a huge mess to clean up. I could really put one to the test.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #50  
I stopped in this morning to pick up a 6" PHD auger. I was on the way home from Fla and had stopped at my sister's and Newton was only 34 miles north in direction I was going. Got to look at the prototype wicked grapple and it is one
beast. As Ted mentioned in the video, it is built to take it. I liked the way the tine ends were laminated for strength and minimal gussetting at the tine/pipe interface. The new one was not in the video room but the proto one was. It was just around the wall from Travis's office where I placed my auger order. After looking at it and then seeing the video, I am impressed and if my 48" one dies or I leave it at my brothers place instead of transporting it to NY every year, I just may buy the wicked grapple.. I would even be happy with the prototype one shown. The prototype box blade I got from them I am very happy with. Now, here do I get the money for the grapple?:anyone: Hmmmm, Honey, can I raid the cookie jar???
:thumbsup::D