Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #71  
:p I love oil threads for the entertainment as much as for the information... and, more often than not, misinformation. They are REALLY entertaining on some of the motorcycle forums. :shocked:

Here's my nickels worth on a couple of items...
1. Changing to synthetic on a high mileage engine won't make it "come apart". What it may do is cause oil leaks. That's because the synthetic will start dissolving and cleaning all of the buildup and varnish and if you happen to have a hard or nicked seal that is only keeping oil in because it's covered in "gunk" then it will start leaking.

2. Synthetic "can" increase your fuel mileage. I have an '04 Ram 1-ton with the Cummins. I've kept a record of every gallon of fuel that's gone through that engine along with all maintenance. I used to use 15w40 Rotella but wanted to change over to synthetic for it's better qualities. I found that 5w40 Rotella Synthetic wasn't that much more per gallon so I started using it. On the first tank full of fuel after changing to the 5w40 my mileage went up although nothing else changed as far as where and how I drove. I called it a fluke at that point but on the next tank full I made a straight through trip to Houston and back. And every tank full since has shown the same increase of right at 11%. I'm not one to expect a mileage increase from oil or additives... but I'll take it!

that's a serious improvement. What do you think of Rotella synthetic for diesel tractors?
I was actually surprised that the local dealers Kubota branded oil was not overpriced, nor cheap for sure. Always wondered who made it and what it was.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #72  
This topic is nothing new. Been here since 02 and many posters (gee dargo, cowboydoc, gsxr1100, soundguy etc) come and go (me too). This posted statement "50% higher warranty by the OEM by using synthetics " is nothing new...And will the sheep buy it?

The posted statement I made about the OEM extending the warranty is true. Just check with Eaton corp and Meritor corp regarding their transmission and drive axles on commercial trucks. They will extend the warranty from 500,000 miles to 750,000 miles if owner uses synthetics in them. I never stated in any way something like this regarding engines. Here is some published data sw03 for you since you requested it. I'll let you dig up something from Eaton corp to try and prove me wrong. Good luck.

Eaton Roadranger warranty guide....See page 8 note 3 on line haul truck warranty.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/ct_126924.pdf

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic.
WOW.... I didn't want to start a shooting gallery when I started this post...As I stated in the beginning and some people misinterpreted it...THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AS A MECHANIC.... Not written in stone... Just my personal experience with oils... What I alone have seen and what I personally prefer... Not recommending any type oils to anybody or badmouthing any oils or saying I have seen an engine fail due to oil.... It was simply a post that might help some people decide what they might want to test out and get their own results. So I hope this clears things up a bit. Each application is different for everyone and we all have and use what we like for oil. I to have done all the tests and research and I just prefer synthetic over conventional...Just my personal preference ..... Preston

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #74  
   / Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #75  
Well, I only shoot back when shot at. I like both synthetics and conventional oils. Which I choose is based on a number of factors. I just don't have an absolute love affair with either. I use both types. I like and use synthetic engine oil in my Jeep Liberty Diesel. i use synthetic Delo 400 LE 5w40 in my Semi in the winter months, and use conventional Delo 400 LE 15w40 in the summer months. Even then, I only use synthetic in it during winter months due to engine being shut down without being able to be plugged in all the time away from home. The synthetic makes for easier starts and getting lube up on top the engine quicker. My CUT gets a blend that I can get very reasonably priced at my local farm and home store. I use synthetics exclusively in all of the various transmissions and drive train components of everything I own, primarily because they tend to be more shear stable than conventional oils. And in the Semi because of the extended warranty issue.

Oil discussions can quickly turn into something like religious discussions. Frankly, I find it amazing how people will line up on one side or the other and refuse to see how different brands and types of oils/lubes work in varying applications. This is definately an area where there is no cookie cutter, one size fits all solution. At least we have a broad range of choices available.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #76  
I've never run synthetic until this year because I got a deal on Mobil 1 at Costco. It feels really good to brag that I run synthetic oil, though. Kind of like paying the big bucks for a Honda generator. Well worth it just for bragging rights. :laughing:

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #77  
I have used ONLY synthetic lubes since 1975 and only AMSOIL since 1976ish in everything with a motor. In all those years I never changed oil less than once a year and have in the past gone up to 25,000 miles per oil change WITH NO adverse effects. If you gave me any brand of minerial oil for free I would decline and gladly pay for the AMSOIL. Right now I have over 10,000 miles on the oil in my Denali, its not going down any neglicble amount and 1 yr interval will not be up till July and the oil will NOT be changed before that, over 36 yrs of confidence its does what it says it does. No engine, trans or axle I have used it in has ever needed a repair.

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #78  
Dumb question-What is dino oil?

Last edited:
   / Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #79  
Slang for oil pumped from the earth...............dinosaurers

/ Synthetic vs. Dino. By a Mechanic. #80  
Well, I only shoot back when shot at. I like both synthetics and conventional oils. Which I choose is based on a number of factors. I just don't have an absolute love affair with either. ...

Oil discussions can quickly turn into something like religious discussions. Frankly, I find it amazing how people will line up on one side or the other and refuse to see how different brands and types of oils/lubes work in varying applications. This is definately an area where there is no cookie cutter, one size fits all solution. At least we have a broad range of choices available.

I have been running synthetic oils in my trucks and tractors for years. Why? Because it makes money sense to do so given my circumstances. The wifey's vehicle runs on Dino oil because it is the right type of oil based on her driving.

The truck runs 72-75 miles round trip when I drive to work. This drive is mostly rural highway, with a bit of Interstate, and a touch of city driving. UOA shows I can go 12-14K before needing an oil change. I started using synthetic to give me a bit extra protection and I noticed that the truck started much easier when cold. With dino oil, I would have to use a block heater during the winter which would cost $10ish dollars a month on the power bill. Synthetic gives me a bit more MPG as well. For my driving, synthetic makes money and time sense.

If I lived in our old city house and did not own rural property, using synthetic would almost certainly NOT make money or time sense. The traffic I would drive would be considered severe and I would need to change the oil at 2,500 miles instead of 5,000. UOA proved to me how little stop and go driving it takes to put you in a severe classification. Years ago I had to drive through a town that had what I calle the valley of death. The little town was a cross roads and during drive time the place was a parking lot. I only had to drive through a part of the town so I missed quite a bit of the traffic. If we still lived in our city house, I would and did, spend much more time in stop and go traffic. My driving through that town was only 5 or so miles out of 75ish and maybe 10-15 minutes out of an hour drive time. Not much to worry about. Right? Well UOA showed I had fuel in the oil because of the stop and go traffic! :shocked: Not enough fuel to cause damage but enough to require an oil change. That little bit of stop and go was all it took.

Thankfully, I soon did not have to drive through the valley of death and all was good again. :laughing:

But if I still lived in the city I would have to drive through the valley of death and I would be needed to change oil much sooner as a result. Using synthetic would not make much sense in that situation.

Later,
Dan