Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #11  
Peter yes it was foolish on my part to put the wrong bolt in place of the right shear bolts. Lesson learned for sure and I will be going to my dealer to purchase the right bolts before I use the blower again. I had not broken a shear bolt sense I added the new skid shoes to my blower. There is a person in Maine that put me onto the material and what he did for his skid shoes. They work slick as can be. Dean used 1/2 stock and when I constructed mine I used 3/4 stock. Makes for more snow left on the ground, but I am not digging in and I can take care of the 3/4 of snow left behind.

Wayne

Attachments

• UHMW Skids.jpg
    UHMW Skids.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 167
  • UHMW Skids Mounted.jpg
    UHMW Skids Mounted.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 182
   / Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #12  
I always keep a propane torch with the other tools in the winter. Things that may seem stuck by friction are often frozen by temperature instead. (When changing back and forth with hydro quick-connects, it is very common for the slide collars on the unattached implement to freeze closed.)

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower
You can also use a 16 penny nail. The sharp tip helps to find the sheared pin or the hole. Glad to hear the blower worked in a big downfall. How much snow did you get? Did you plow during the storm or wait and did it all at once?

Got about 22 inches in my neighborhood. I waited till the storm was over and did it all at once. This blower is awesome even handling the 5 foot plow drifts at the end of the drive.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #14  
I will have to check for it. I usually try the hard way first. I DO IT NICE BECAUSE I DO IT TWICE!!!!!haha

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #15  
Well consider yourself lucky compared to my misfortune. I bought a 60" Agro Trend used blower in very good shape last year and it has worked flawlessly up until last weekend. Because it was used I contacted the manufacturer and got a manual to order new sheer pins in case the previous owner was a bit careless. I broke one on the PTO shaft in December and it was a quick 5 minute fix. Last weekend I managed to take in a rock that had released from an exposed bank and rolled onto the parking area and then was covered with the snowfall we got. Non of the pins let go and the Gear box along with the drive shaft inside the box shattered

. Bummer! A new one is on order.

Attachments

• image-1745790187.jpg
    image-1745790187.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 190
   / Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower
Well consider yourself lucky compared to my misfortune. I bought a 60" Agro Trend used blower in very good shape last year and it has worked flawlessly up until last weekend. Because it was used I contacted the manufacturer and got a manual to order new sheer pins in case the previous owner was a bit careless. I broke one on the PTO shaft in December and it was a quick 5 minute fix. Last weekend I managed to take in a rock that had released from an exposed bank and rolled onto the parking area and then was covered with the snowfall we got. Non of the pins let go and the Gear box along with the drive shaft inside the box shattered

Oh man that stinks! Hope the parts aren't too expensive.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #17  
Do you have any intuition on why the various shear pins did not shear?

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #18  

Here's a similar situation with a much, much worse result:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/207970-so-how-much-trouble-am.html

Do you have any intuition on why the various shear pins did not shear?

I have my own theory that the components seize to the shaft due to corrosion. The Kubota blower has grease fittings on the augers, but not the fan. I removed the shear pins from my low hour blower when I first got it & found the fan hard to turn on the shaft. Now I remove them & apply a liberal amount of grease/oil at the start of every season just to be sure.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #19  
rbarker said:
Oh man that stinks! Hope the parts aren't too expensive.

The gear box came in today. $245 plus tax plus a lire of oil. I thought that was reasonable.

/ Tips on changig shearbolts 2750 blower #20  
I think that corrosion may have played a role but all components were lubed this fall and the only thing I'm wondering is the PTO shaft connecting to the gear box. I had to give the broken shaft a bit of a hit to release it. I will know better when I get up to the cottage and take the time to replace the gear box. Unfortunately I have yet to remove the old gear box as I need some heat to get the fan off and fully dis-assemble everything.