Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,731  
I plow...
I wear a wool hat with earflaps, heavy gloves, flannel shirt with a wool vest and an oilskin coat made by Filson (they call the oilskin "tincloth"). The coat is what keeps me dry....very heavy duty. By the way, the hat is also a Filson product...definitely warm and dry!
Trousers are flannel lined and fairly water resistant (got 'em from Wal-Mart, of all places) and a winter boot.

Dressing for snow plowing on an open station tractor is mostly a matter of layering and common sense...and knowing when to go inside for breaks, if at all possible.
Well considerin how the wind blows at Randolph center you ain't over dressed.
VTC class of 75:)

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,732  
Well considerin how the wind blows at Randolph center you ain't over dressed.
VTC class of 75:)

I'm in East Randolph (about 4 miles ENE) and we get plenty of wind there...but not like Randolph Center.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,733  
Roy, I have several of those Makinaw hats, and use them all the time. That part of my outfit I'm not changing.

How waterproof are Carhartt jumpsuits? I see them online on sale for $100 or so.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,734  
Roy, I have several of those Makinaw hats, and use them all the time. That part of my outfit I'm not changing.

How waterproof are Carhartt jumpsuits? I see them online on sale for $100 or so.

Can't answer about the Carhartt jumpsuits (they're probably called overalls, BTW).

As a fan and user of Filson gear, I can recommend their tincloth pants. I have the double tincloth pants. They are very water resistant and quite warm, although in extreme cold, you might want long john pants under them. A better choice might be the single tin pants bought one or two sizes larger to accomodate long johns.
Filson gear (the tincloth products made in the USA...Seattle to be specific) is expensive, but well made and very durable. You won't be the prettiest girl at the dance, but you'll be dressed for inclement conditions.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,735  

I wear the Carhartt bib overalls with a Carhart jacket and hood with a Carhartt ball cap with ear flaps. Underneath I wear sweatpants, and sweatshirt. I stay warm and pretty dry. The bibs are pretty new and shed the moisture pretty well but the jacket is old and isn't as good. I was thinking about re-treating the fabric with something like the Kiwi stuff below to waterproof tents and other outdoor gear.

Amazon.com: Kiwi Camp Dry, Heavy Duty Water Repellent, 12oz: Sports & Outdoors

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,736  
Here are pics of my setup with the plow & rear blower, salt spreader, and rear rotary broom.

100_2449.jpg

SnowWeapon.jpg

100_3532.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,737  
To those of you that work on an open tractor: what do you wear while you are plowing or blowing snow? I've got an old snowmobile suit that leaks like a sieve and I am looking for something to keep me warm and dry. Thanks, Otto

After normal underwear, this is what I wear and the order I put them on. First I put on a pair of nylon knee-high dress socks, then a pair wicking long-john (LJ) bottoms and tuck in my t-shirt, then a pair of knee-high wool socks pulled over the LJ's, a long sleeve-T laying over the (LJ) bottoms. Then I put on my gore tex snowmobile bibs and put a zip-necked long sleeve fleece over that. Then my boots. Then my one size larger than normal carhart jacket, and top everything off with either a sock hat or my Mad Bomber hat, depending on wind conditions, and then my choice of gloves. I can usually spend all day outside plowing/snow blowing, but I occasionally need to come in to cool down - really!

Before putting on my bibs and carhart I usually put them in the dryer for about 10 minutes. I think that, along with the clothing overlap, helps to retain body heat much longer.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,738  
AJones, in the third picture of your setup it shows what appears to be "shoes" on the end of the loader arms. Am I correct here? Can you give me a close-up picture of the shoes? Thanks. Great setup by the way!!! Stanley

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,740  
...or my Mad Bomber hat, depending on wind conditions...

Sounds like you're well prepared!!
Mad Bomber hats (I think Tanker Hat is the correct nomenclature) are very warm. I've had them for years and still have one. The main reason I bought the Filson Mackinaw hat (which is as warm as the Mad Bomber) is for the bill....as you know, the Mad Bomber bill isn't too good for keeping the glare down. Now, if you wear goggles, the Mad Bomber hat works great!