Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #431  
Soundguy -- of the front wheel assembly of the tractor? Don't tell me something else is broken. OK, I will take a pic or two tonight.

Your tractor does not have 8N wheels on it.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
This day just keeps getting better.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #433  
I understand the frustration. Stay at it and I think you will get a very reliable tractor that will serve you well for years. I especially respect the early work you did when it was cold out and no shelter as I am sure does everyone who has had that experience. Anxious for the compression report. A suggestion just for your own experience, remove coil wire an run starter and see if one piston seems to turn quicker than the others(every fourth beat goes too fast). If so, likely will find a bad cylinder. You can tell best with a weak 6 volt battery. If you can get a wrench on the crankshaft or fan, you can also see if each is same against compression - be very sure it can't fire. If one is weak and air comes out carb, intake valve, if out exhaust, exhaust valve, and if out crankcase breather, bad rings. I've had good luck with this but others with more experience may tell us why it could lead one astray.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions?
Thanks Sno.

I'm not out of the woods with the weather yet -- it is pouring outside right now and is supposed to for the rest of the day. Looks like I will be out working in the rain now.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #435  
   / Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #436  
i was thinking the same when i saw it

OK -- back with some compression results and a video of trying to start the tractor.

Compression numbers: Dry/Wet
#1 115/120
#2 105/120
#3 100/120
#4 110/120

Video of trying to start the tractor after compression testing (has same symptoms from yesterday)

Pics of the wheels, from pictures I have seen I thought these were 2N/9N wheels.

Right wheel:
img20130408195627.jpg

Left wheel:
img20130408195636.jpg

So I still have no idea why it is missing... also I have no idea why it isn't starting now.

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #438  
could the exaust be causing a vapor lock and that is why it is shutting off

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #439  
Now it is flooded compression is okay. Did you check the float level in the carb?

/ Ford 8N having trouble starting -- many troubleshooting steps take -- suggestions? #440  
that is enough compression to run, with those #s something else is going on... Haven't read all of the recent posts , but remember mentions of a possible vacuum leak, have U tried a propane torch, to enrich the air fuel to see if there a leak somewhere, Obviously you don't light the torch.. next time you get it running try putting the torch nozzle near the intake head interface and ( open the torch up) , if the engine speed increases you have a leak, if when, in front of the carb intake the speed increases it's running lean, if it stays steady or slows down it's rich... as far as the exhaust ,a plugged muffler can make an engine very hard to start, But I've never heard of a blocked tractor muffler...