M59 Discussion Thread

/ M59 Discussion Thread #261  
This is to followup on our earlier discussion of towing the M59.
o I used a Sherline scale to adjust the hitch weight to 1400 or so; would have been difficult to get this right otherwise. A weight distributing hitch is obviously essential for a bumper hitch towing this weight.

TBarD, thanks for the trailer and truck info. It seems like a fair number of M59s get bought with towing in mind.
I'm not familiar with that type of scale and would like to know more. Is it common? I'd also be interested to know more about the weight distributing hitch you chose.
rScotty

/ M59 Discussion Thread #262  
Congratulation TbarD. I'm glad you got the M59 up into the mountains. I'm curious as to why you had the hoe sitting on the trailer rather then on the factory hook. Is there a particular reason why you travelled that way? I always travel with mine hooked and the pin to keep the boom from swinging in place.

I have used a weight distributing hitch on my 30 foot travel trailer but I have never used it with my 14,000 pound dumper and I have had it full to capacity many times. I find the dumper with either the L45 or a load of fill in it tows just fine without a weight distributing hitch.

I have the tires loaded with 932 pounds of foam on the L45 now and the cab is at the dealers so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll load it into the dumper and go down to the provincial scale on a Sunday morning and spend some time testing different loading methods and see how much weight they put on the truck versus the trailer.

Regards,

Lauren

/ M59 Discussion Thread #263  
Hmm... Didn't realize there was followup here, normally the forum sends me and email when there are new postings.

TBarD, thanks for the trailer and truck info. It seems like a fair number of M59s get bought with towing in mind.
I'm not familiar with that type of scale and would like to know more. Is it common? I'd also be interested to know more about the weight distributing hitch you chose.
rScotty

The Sherline scale was developed just for the purpose of measuring trailer tongue weight. Very simple: a pin drives into the body of the scale, which contains hydraulic oil. A gauge on the side measures the pressure. Here is a link on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000lb: Home Improvement
31JVB8LWbNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I put this on top of a hydraulic jack and lifted the trailer tongue until it would clear the hitch ball and could then directly read out the tongue weight.

I got my weight distributing hitch from etrailer.com and installed it myself. It is a Reese rated for 15K trailer weight and 1500 lbs hitch weight. In my first test drive with the trailer loaded the truck front end was too light, resulting in a boat through the waves type of oscillation on every undulation of the road - shortening the chains on the trunnion bars a link fixed this by transferring more weight to the front axle.

/ M59 Discussion Thread
Thank you for the link to the sherlone, I need one of those! Guessing is not cutting it.

Havent towed the m59 yet, but I went the route of 14k deck over from Pequea, timbrens on the truck. Curt weight distributing hitch.

I don't understand the need for exhaust braking? Granted I'm not in Colorado, but the trailer brakes can stop the truck.... Truck brakes actually work less with the trailer attached.

I got a 20 foot trailer. It's too short. 24 would have been better....

My brake controller runs off my brake lines. It's simply amazing, and well worth the extra money, have a look at my thread on it

/ M59 Discussion Thread #265  
Congratulation TbarD. I'm glad you got the M59 up into the mountains. I'm curious as to why you had the hoe sitting on the trailer rather then on the factory hook. Is there a particular reason why you travelled that way? I always travel with mine hooked and the pin to keep the boom from swinging in place.

Lowering and securing the hoe bucket is a DOT requirement here for heavy equipment. However checking into this a bit more it appears that this is not required for machines less than 10K which use a pin or whatever to mechanically secure the attachment. So I guess one could go either way, however with the hoe up and stowed it would stick up over 12 feet when on the trailer, which is worrisome.

Regarding the weight distributing hitch, I definitely needed it for this tow with all the weight I had on the front of the trailer (400 lb forks and 850 lb grading scraper). With just the tractor the tongue weight could be reduced and it might not be needed, with some risk of a sway oscillation of course. I don't use the WD hitch with lighter loads but I don't think I will try to tow the tractor 700 miles without it. Also I don't think with this weight it is legal here without the WD hitch.

/ M59 Discussion Thread #266  
I don't understand the need for exhaust braking? Granted I'm not in Colorado, but the trailer brakes can stop the truck.... Truck brakes actually work less with the trailer attached.

I got a 20 foot trailer. It's too short. 24 would have been better....

My brake controller runs off my brake lines. It's simply amazing, and well worth the extra money, have a look at my thread on it

Without the exhaust brake there is a real risk of overheating the truck+trailer brakes and going out of control while descending a steep mountain pass with 14K pushing the truck and a sharp curve at the bottom. Even without that however, the exhaust brake greatly reduces the need to use your truck or truck+trailer mechanical brakes, reducing wear and tear - it will pay for itself eventually. Plus it helps the truck to warm up on a cold morning, a particular issue here in Colorado; the ECM activates the exhaust brake at idle when the temperature is below some set limit. I am finding the EB useful even for 4wheeling, descending steep grades on 4-low.

I agree, 24 foot trailer would be better for the M59 than my 22!

Thanks for the tip on the brake controller. I have not heard of one that runs off the brake lines, sounds interesting.

/ M59 Discussion Thread
Without the exhaust brake there is a real risk of overheating the truck+trailer brakes and going out of control while descending a steep mountain pass with 14K pushing the truck and a sharp curve at the bottom. Even without that however, the exhaust brake greatly reduces the need to use your truck or truck+trailer mechanical brakes, reducing wear and tear - it will pay for itself eventually. Plus it helps the truck to warm up on a cold morning, a particular issue here in Colorado; the ECM activates the exhaust brake at idle when the temperature is below some set limit. I am finding the EB useful even for 4wheeling, descending steep grades on 4-low.

I agree, 24 foot trailer would be better for the M59 than my 22!

Thanks for the tip on the brake controller. I have not heard of one that runs off the brake lines, sounds interesting.

Yeah, I used to live in Denver, I can picture going through some of those passes and wanting every brake conceivable. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd tow it through those, hairy enough in just a car...

Cool thing about the controller - I'm blanking on.name, is it gives the trailer ABS. How? Goes off the pressure in brake lines, so when that pulses, so do trailer brakes. Simply awesome.

I learned of it on TBN of course!

I have friends who are moving to Durango, btw, are you in that neck of the woods? I'm looking forward to getting the chance to visit them

/ M59 Discussion Thread #268  
Spent the day with the M59 digging up the 200 amp power line to the barn site (while live!), unfortunately it has to be moved over to make room for the work to come. Having it in conduit makes this much easier.

I have friends who are moving to Durango, btw, are you in that neck of the woods? I'm looking forward to getting the chance to visit them

It's not all that far as the crow flies, but with the San Juan mountain range in between it is a long drive around.

/ M59 Discussion Thread #269  
Hi, lurker here, currently I have a Kubota B21 (nice little tractor) and I'm looking to add a M59. I'm looking for TLB w/ thumb, forks, grapple, box scraper, and scraper blade to maintain my 15 acres and help my neighbor (who has 385 acres).

The new prices are a little scary, I priced a TLB + thumb + front remote + 3 spool at $72,000 here in California (includes about $6500 tax).

The used market seems not so much, I've been watching craigslist etc and these rarely come up for sale. Anyone know of any for sale?

Thanks, seems like a nice tractor!

/ M59 Discussion Thread #270  
I admit those M59's are nice, real nice! But ill be damned if they're 70k dollars nice! I think kubota is a little proud at that price.