Increasing amps

/ Increasing amps #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
On a 115 volt welder whether stick or mig, is there any advantage to plugging these into a 30 amp circuit?

/ Increasing amps #2  
It depends on what the welder is rated for on input. Most welders that run on 110/120V obtain their ratings at amps over 20, up to 40 on 110V.

For stick, if you see over 90 amps or so, you can bet it pulls more than 20 amps at max operating output. On Mig, it is more than 120 or so. Tig, over 105/110 amps or so.

Input amp requirement is simply a function of multiplying max output voltage and max output amps, and dividing by the input voltage...which is still usually a little higher than the math tells because of the loss in efficiency.

/ Increasing amps #4  
Cant hurt. If you have the 30amp already available, I'd use it. That 30amp should be wired with at least 10ga wire which will have much less voltage drop and allow more current draw than the 15amp or 20amp which will be wired with 14ga or 12ga respectively.

/ Increasing amps #5  
Plug it into a 20 amp circuit and turn it all the way up. If you can run a bead without popping the breaker, there's no advantage. If you pop the breaker, then there's an advantage.

NEXT!

/ Increasing amps
Plug it into a 20 amp circuit and turn it all the way up. If you can run a bead without popping the breaker, there's no advantage. If you pop the breaker, then there's an advantage.

NEXT!

That's what I like….something definitive,clear cut and proof of the pudding. Also, I do not have to do any numbers which I was never good at. Welder never popped however I do not feel I'm getting all the amps but Mark explained that already. This welder says its 100 amps but I think I'm lucky to be getting 75-80. Beads are cold looking to me. 220 coming up….NEXT.

/ Increasing amps #7  
Without power factor correction, Most 115v Migs actually only put out about 85 amps on a 20 amp circuit @ 20% duty cycle. If you can borrow a set of DC tongs you can easily test your output by clamping the tongs over your ground cable while welding.

/ Increasing amps #8  
On a 115 volt welder whether stick or mig, is there any advantage to plugging these into a 30 amp circuit?

Are you tripping the circuit breaker now with 20 amps?
If so, you can get a delayed action breaker that rides through the inrush current from things like welders, air compressors, etc. I use a 20 amp delayed action breaker to handle the inrush current from my 115V Porter Cable air compressor.

/ Increasing amps #9  
I have trouble re-striking often enough and never thought to blame the welder's output. Using a fancy ground clamp to be sure of good contact, I keep thinking my weak point is how well the stinger grips the rod. Gets to where I use DC more often to run good beads, but I am indeed a seat of the pants rookie. :confused3: (I'm contemplating upgrading my Mig capability to >100a, too.)

Power factor is it's own can of worms, and the 'correcting' gizmos that 'power companies hate' are a big joke on other forums since single phase power is rarely if ever billed by PF anywhere here in the states. (Can you say 'snake oil'?) But, that PF could affect welder output is something to wonder about, since we're talking an inductive load. Is the PF/efficiency thingie part of why setting/adjusting amperage is such a shot in the dark?

btw: I'd love to take a welding class, but BO hasn't added tuition assistance to Soc Sec yet. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Increasing amps #10  
Power Factor Correction is simply a dam inside your welder that holds power to a steady rate. Its not a way to get billed from the power company. it will correct spikes and valleys in your power as it flows to your welder giving it the optimum voltage feed. this can save blowing breakers and allows extension cords on 115v welders. Nothing to do with your output adjustments.