Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #1  

paulwestski

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
Like the title says
Need a measurement for a L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter.

The measurement needs to be off of a NON third function Kubota.

When my L4240 was delivered I forgot to measure the loader control handle shaft diameter.
Worst thing, it was on my list of things to do and I overlooked the task.

I'm fabbing up a third function for the tractor and will be grafting a John Deere third function joystick on to the Kubota loader control shaft.

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #2  
My 2012 L4240 has a half inch diameter shaft. I will follow your fabrication carefully. If it turns out to be not too difficult, I will probably do the same. Good luck with it.

PMH

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    627.4 KB · Views: 135
   / Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter
Thank you Sir

The John Deere joystick handle kit including switch and all of the screws was $75.00 delivered.
I bought a five pack of Bosch style 12v relays off of ebay for $14.00
I bought a bunch of different size braided sleeving to use for wiring loom covering and to nest the wiring running down the control shaft.
Someone else suggested using the braided sleeving on the control shaft to conceal the wiring.

I need to order the solenoid valve, some hoses and hose clamps and I'll be ready to do the install.
I already have a bucket full of hydraulic fittings and QCs so I'm covered there.

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #4  
Paul, I believe that it is metric sizing and is actually whatever size is juuuuuuuust a hair bigger than 1/2".

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #6  
Per MtViewRanch; "Paul, I believe that it is metric sizing and is actually whatever size is juuuuuuuust a hair bigger than 1/2"

I would have guessed the diameter to be 12 or 13 mm and was quite surprised that it turned out to be 0.50 inches. That's why I included the picture. Note that if it were 12 mm (0.4724 inches) it would have measured approximately 1/32 under a half inch and if it were 13 mm (0.5117 inches) it would be approximately 1/32 over a half. Both differences are easily picked up with a caliper, even one as old as mine. Just to be sure, I went out and remeasured. Mine is 0.50 inches. Doesn't mean others might not be something else. Hope this helps.

PMH

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter
Per MtViewRanch; "Paul, I believe that it is metric sizing and is actually whatever size is juuuuuuuust a hair bigger than 1/2"

I would have guessed the diameter to be 12 or 13 mm and was quite surprised that it turned out to be 0.50 inches. That's why I included the picture. Note that if it were 12 mm (0.4724 inches) it would have measured approximately 1/32 under a half inch and if it were 13 mm (0.5117 inches) it would be approximately 1/32 over a half. Both differences are easily picked up with a caliper, even one as old as mine. Just to be sure, I went out and remeasured. Mine is 0.50 inches. Doesn't mean others might not be something else. Hope this helps.

PMH

Thanks PMH

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #8  
All I know is that I have supplied control grips with 1/2" holes in them for a 1/2" dia rod (that's what I thought that they were also) and the grips did not fit over the rod. Maybe some just have more paint on them then others. :confused3:

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #9  
What model does the JD control handle fit, or a part number would be a bigger help.

/ Need a measurement, L4240 Loader control handle shaft diameter #10  
Brian, how much are your control handles again.sorry I didn, write it down.